The Other Side of Nowhere 2011 - Big Bend National and Big Bend Ranch State Parks - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 01-22-2011, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor
Arrow The Other Side of Nowhere 2011 - Big Bend National and Big Bend Ranch State Parks

We planning for another Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park JKO event. Plan on the first week of May.

Last year TexasKev, RubiCajun and I checked out the site.

The pink condo we stayed in:

Video from last year:

Right now we are looking at the frist week of May. This ensures the Easter Jeep Safari and Jeep Beach crowd can still attend those events. The weather will be just right.

We stayed in Terlingua. There isn't much there but the bar had that "From Dusk Till Dawn" feel. Fill up every morning on gas, water, and snacks.

A quick detail on RubiCajun's and my experience at the state park by RubiCajun:
Yoda, Liquor, my son and I drove to the state park. We decided to drive the Los Alamos Loop. we drove in from the main road to Jackson Pens and then continued on to the east side of the loop and then turned north. the trail turned into a creek bed and we drove up it for a couple of hundred yards. there are large bushes growing in the creek bed and we just drove over them. the trail hasn't been maintained for about the last 5 or 6 years. we eventually had to turn around because it just got too thick.

we found that the map wasn't quite accurate, especially at the top of the loop at the ranger residence which isn't used anymore. The lady ranger we talked to when we registered regretfully didn't have a feel for distances or any other information that could have helped us. if i go back there, i plan on running the Casa Piedra system. just ballparking, it's about 30 miles of 4x4 high clearance unmaintained road. the most in one area in the park. i complained to the ranger that most people would be coming to the state park from big bend area and it would be nice not to have to drive so far to get there. i pointed out that there is a hiking trailhead in Lajitas and it would be nice to enter there. she said that they are working on that. you can get permits and pay entrance fee at the Warnock center in Lajitas. the main entrance road is approx.

67 miles from terlingua and then 27 to the park headquarters. there are some old ranch houses one can rent located in the park including one that will hold many people. i think its called the bunkhouse. go to their website and read the Roads to Nowhere document. it is a guide to the unmaintained 4x4 roads in the state park. I would definitely not drive these roads alone.

The trails we encounted took about 2-3 hours to do but the drive to the trails heads took a while. it made for long days. there are plenty of trails we did not get a chance to explore. i use the word explore due to the nature of the trails. they are not marked, sometimes you feel like you are off the trail. its very lightly used. they are true jeep trails. narrow, tight turns, lots of brush that will pin stripe your paint.

We still in the planning stages but as we get a better idea who can attend, we will smooth out the rough edges. I do recommend checking it out. beautiful views, good food, and met great friends to share the experience.

A few more pics from last year:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

Last edited by Liquor; 01-22-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 01-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

Well unless something drastic happens, I am in for the trip. Jeep Beach and EJS just aren't in the cards this year since I can't afford it. Hopefully I can get enough moolah saved up to make this trip happen since some unexpected bills popped up.

Its been a few years since I have been to BB and I have never been to the State Park side so I am really looking forward to seeing that. When we were there we also stayed in Lajitas at the 'resort'...I'm setting the first week in May aside and will put in for vacation on Monday. Hopefully my PP ball joints ship soon so I can get that repair off my list.

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
post #3 of 42 Old 01-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Brock, thanks for posting. Guess it's about time to start the planning, eh? As soon as I locate it, i'll post up all the phone numbers, addresses, motels, emergency medical, gas stations and auto repair that i did last year. hope this year we can get more peeps to come in their jeeps. Need to mention that the Pink Condo we stayed in has a total of 4 separate rooms, each with a full kitchen dining/living room combo, full bath and one bedroom with king size bed. The living room has a fold out bed. Between my son and I we spent roughly $2000 bucks total but we did stay three days longer than you and Kev. For those of you that haven't been to the State Park, it's huge, approx. 300,000 acres. When Brock and I were there we were the only visitors in the park. Check it out on Google Earth. The El Solatario is an ancient volcano and can be seen from space. Found this on YouTube. YouTube - Big Bend Ranch Fiesta - Texas Parks and Wildlife [Official]

EDIT: added state park website...... http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...ig_bend_ranch/

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...sToNowhere.pdf

More later.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 02-23-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 01-22-2011, 11:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I'm plannin on it this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #5 of 42 Old 01-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

be great to have you with us larry. IF we stay at the pink condo again and if the mgmt allows it, there's plenty of room for your jeep and adventure trailer to camp at the condo. just a thought.

Quote:
post #6 of 42 Old 01-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

List of motels, gas stations, camping, groceries, auto repair, emergency numbers

911 Works here for emergencies

The Lajitas Infirmary provides urgent care and family practice services in Lajitas.
Office hours are Wednesday through Friday 9am-5pm. There are urgent care call back services during these nights as well as Saturday and Sunday. No Services Monday and Tuesday. Office: 432.424.5111 after hours please call the hotel front desk 432.424.5000; advise them you need to make contact with the Health Care Provider. The provider is a PA-C (Physician Assistant Certified), EMT-P (Paramedic) who has over 30 years of patient contact experience.

Automobile Repair and Towing

Terlingua Auto Service, Terlingua (432) 371-2223

Motorcycle and ATV Repair and Towing

Cycletek, Terlingua (432) 371-2560

Gasoline:

Panther Junction Chevron, Big Bend National Park (432) 477-2251
and 3 other location in the park. See park map.

Stillwell Trailer Park, FM 2627 (432) 376-2244

Big Bend Resort & RV Campground, (gas & diesel) Junction of TX 118 & FM 170 800-848-BEND

Study Butte Store, (gas, lpg & diesel) Study Butte, TX 118 (432) 371-2231

Groceries and Convenience:

The Study Butte Store, Study Butte, TX 118 (432) 371-2231

Big Bend Resort Convenience Store, Study Butte, TX 118 (432) 371-2218

The Terlingua Store, Terlingua, FM 170 (432) 371-2487

Terlingua Springs Market FM170 1/2 mile west of Junction TX118 432-371-2332

WEBSITES

Home of the Pink condo, Chisos Mining company Motel http://www.cmcm.cc/big_bend_lodging_001.htm

Study Butte Mall(lol) gas. booze, stuff. http://www.terlingua-lajitas.com/

Terlingua Ghost Town.... accommodations, food, drink http://www.visitbigbend.com/site09/e...ghosttown.html

Big Bend National Park....Lodging, camping, tent and RV, restaurant, fuel, etc.
http://foreverlodging.com/destinatio...PropertyKey=73

Longhorn Ranch Motel and Restaurant... http://www.longhornranchmotel.com/index.html

Quote:
post #7 of 42 Old 01-22-2011, 05:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I just didnt know about accomodations
if theres hotels/condo whatever for the nights then cool, the fiance will definitely prefer that anyway
for some reason I assumed there was camping involved

wonder if it would be cool to bring my jeep dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #8 of 42 Old 01-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I just didnt know about accomodations
if theres hotels/condo whatever for the nights then cool, the fiance will definitely prefer that anyway
for some reason I assumed there was camping involved

wonder if it would be cool to bring my jeep dog?
I've seen a few places that allow pets in Terlingua. Pets are not allowed in the Nat'l park but there is a pet boarding place available in Alpine, TX at the Alpine Small Animal Hospital. Their phone number is 432-837-5416. Problem with this is that alpine is 60 something miles north of the Park. Pets are allowed anywhere vehicles are allowed in the state park but must be on a leash. I certainly don't have a problem with you bringing a canine companion. If my golden retriever was still alive, she'd be with me. As far as the camping stuff, you probably read last years thread in which we had planned to camp out a few days and stay in a motel a few. wellllll.....the condo spoiled us. my son and i did camp out two days up on top of the chisos at the campground in the nat'l park. beautiful campground there and there are two others located on the rio grande on each end of the park. you can also camp out at primitive sites scattered all through both parks. hope this helps.

Quote:
post #9 of 42 Old 01-31-2011, 08:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

Won't be able to make it this trip, took the lady to BBRSP for Spring Break last year, and she wants to go somewhere different this year. *sigh*

If you plan to camp at all in BBRSP, I -highly- suggest reserving the Guale 2 campsite ASAP!

You park on a ledge, and camp on a ledge overlooking three different canyons - it's absolutely gorgeous!

I think the only better site in the region is the South Rim, but you gotta hoof it there =)

!c
post #10 of 42 Old 02-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Wheeler

I'm interested in attending this.

Hopefully, I'll have a 416 trailer before then.

Jim
post #11 of 42 Old 02-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
I'm interested in attending this.

Hopefully, I'll have a 416 trailer before then.

Jim
great jim, we'll be happy to have you join us. keep checking this thread. the date is pretty well set for may 1 to the 7th or 8th. more info as we progress. i think we've got six so far counting you and a bunch of maybes.

Quote:
post #12 of 42 Old 02-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Granite Guru

Looks like an awesome place. Looking forward to seeing the after action pics.

post #13 of 42 Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Granite Guru

i'd love to go, but that's right before i get home from the sandbox, but i'm tryig to get the wife sold on the black hills sd trip if anyone is going on that one

I don't need anger management classes you need shut the f*#K up classes.
post #14 of 42 Old 02-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

Any idea what kind of turnout everyone is expecting? I'm sure with it being as massive of a park as it is it won't be that big of a deal if a ton of folks show up. What kind of trails can you expect out there? Is it a mix of technical trails and easy riding "good scenery" trails? Myself and the girlfriend have been wanting to take a cheaper mini-cation and last night I started thinking about BB and today I find this
post #15 of 42 Old 02-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchw123456 View Post
Any idea what kind of turnout everyone is expecting? I'm sure with it being as massive of a park as it is it won't be that big of a deal if a ton of folks show up. What kind of trails can you expect out there? Is it a mix of technical trails and easy riding "good scenery" trails? Myself and the girlfriend have been wanting to take a cheaper mini-cation and last night I started thinking about BB and today I find this
Mitch,
So far we have about 6 with quite a few maybes. The National park is huge as is the Big Bend Ranch State Park. The limiting factor on attendees would be either the available lodging or camping. I have no idea what the limit would be but I'd hazzard a guess of about 250 to 300 rooms but don't hold me to that. Of course there's alot of those that would be reserved or in use. As far as the trails. There is only one trail in the national park that offers a challenge (?) and that depends on it's shape after rain storms and that is Black Gap. We all aired down and ran it the first day in 4 wheel low but kept the jeeps in 2,3 or 4th (or D1 or D2) for Black Gap and that was mainly to help stay off the brake and also to drive slow as the trail is rough. All of the trails are easy riding "good scenery" trails. Liquor, me and my son drove west to the State Park and spent a day there. That park is huge and when we went there the ranger told us we were the only ones in the park. It's about 60 miles from Terlingua where we stayed. Look at the links in my post of 1/22/11. The state park has a link to their booklet called Roads to nowhere and it describes all of the trails. We hear there are some technical drives there but don't know of a rating. The trail Liquor and I took, we ended up turning around because the brush had grown too thick and too high to drive over. We both got the hell pinstriped out of jeeps. The rangers encourage what you might call Tread Heavy or cleaning of the trails. Google earth will give you a good view. Anywho, we'd be glad to have you and your GF join us. Plenty of good food and some "unusual entertainment available at the La Kiva (google it). Keep an eye on this thread as we will be tweaking it as the dates get closer. The dates are pretty well set in stone.

Quote:
post #16 of 42 Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchw123456 View Post
The turnout will be small compared to the size of the park- lol.

So far- I think we have:

venom
kerryp
TEXKEV
RubiCajun
CAIN
StubEXrube

There may be some others, and some of the names above may be tentative.....not sure.

The National Park is more about scenery and traversing long, dusty, rocky trails. Nothing that anyone would consider "hard-core". Maybe some washouts and an occasional obstacle, ledge, etc.....but for the most part the roads/ trails are easily traveled. Some places along Black Gap and River Road (east) can be a bit tricky but I wouldn't even say challenging (especially after wheeling at places like Katemcy).

The allure is the scenic opportunities, the vast expanse of solitude, and the feeling of being completely isolated in the vast expanse of the old west. The landscape is also incredibly diverse. Volcanic escarpment, deep canyons, sandstone hoodoo's, deserts, mountains, etc. Also there is an extreme variation and diversity in the wildlife and plants. Many different types of snakes, spiders, scorpions, birds.....as well as the occasional black bear, mtn lion, javalina, etc. There are some very historical places out there as well.....old windmills, an abandoned mine, farming ruins, abandoned graves, ghost-towns, etc.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #17 of 42 Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

"the vast expanse of solitude, and the feeling of being completely isolated in the vast expanse of the old west. The landscape is also incredibly diverse." Yeah, What Stube said. He do have a way wit woids.

Quote:
post #18 of 42 Old 02-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
"the vast expanse of solitude, and the feeling of being completely isolated in the vast expanse of the old west. The landscape is also incredibly diverse." Yeah, What Stube said. He do have a way wit woids.
Yikes- I must be on a "vast expanse" kick here. I hate when people use the same words or descriptions multiple times in a paragraph or story. That's what I get for posting 10 mins after rolling out of bed. I need a shower and a beer.
post #19 of 42 Old 02-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Yah, me too. Yah, me too. Yah, me too. Yah, me too.

Quote:
post #20 of 42 Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Rock God

Garage

Since y'all are going in May, it will definitely offer a lot of solitude. March, on the other hand? I wouldn't go near BBNP at that time =) (BBRSP is much better during Spring Break - no traffic jams.)

Echoing what everyone else has said about the difficulty of the trails: I once met a guy driving a honda element down the river road, said he did it every year and never had any issue with getting down it in his car.

However, if you do want to have a little fun, and maybe get the adrenalin pumping a bit - take the road into the Solitario in BBRSP. It's not technically difficult, but you'll be spending a lot of time on single track with a good drop-off, and many of the corners wash out badly, meaning you may be operating on three wheels on some of them. The final challenge on the upper part of the trail is getting turned back around. The final stopping point (at which point you MUST make a u-turn) is about the size of three jeeps long, and 1.5 jeeps wide, with a nice big metal pipe thrown in to add a little difficulty to it. I don't recommend taking more than two vehicles down the trail at once, as, should you bump into anyone else, it may be 1/4" mile of reversing to get to a spot where one can turn around.

When we took the trail last year, it had only been opened a short period of time, and only one ranger in the park that was on-duty had said he had ever driven it, and it had been months since he had.

The trails in BBRSP offer more challenges for your tires than anything else - we ran over lots of barbwire, nails, rusty cans, etc. In fact, we were lucky and got the Guale 2 campsite on our first night because the group that was heading to it got two flats on the way to the site.

My favorite part of both parks is how long it takes to get to the back-country campsites via the roads! Guale 2 is nearly a 2-hour drive once you hit its trail, and getting from the ranger station to telephone canyon in BBNP is a good 1.5 hours minimum.

I actually may be available for the trip, but still have to find out - turns out the lady can't do anything in May, and since its early May, it may work well for me.

Edit: Here's a little home video from our trip to BBRSP last year, not exactly a work of art or anything, but it shows exiting the Solitario trail from the passenger seat (going up is a little harder on the driver, as you're just seeing clouds for the most part =) :

!c

Last edited by jkdrone; 02-22-2011 at 12:12 PM.
post #21 of 42 Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

yeah, I think I remember your video on the Solatario trail. You kind of got me worried on that one. I'd have to see it first. lol. The Guale 2 is where you camp out on the overlook...correct? Oh yeah and where is telephone canyon/ Man, that would be cool if you could come.....we could use a guide and would def. enjoy the company. Have you ever wheeled on the Longhorn Ranch? Would be nice to have access to that place. I've seen pics. closest thing to Moab in down there.

Edit: yup that's the video.

Quote:
post #22 of 42 Old 02-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
yeah, I think I remember your video on the Solatario trail. You kind of got me worried on that one. I'd have to see it first. lol. The Guale 2 is where you camp out on the overlook...correct? Oh yeah and where is telephone canyon/ Man, that would be cool if you could come.....we could use a guide and would def. enjoy the company. Have you ever wheeled on the Longhorn Ranch? Would be nice to have access to that place. I've seen pics. closest thing to Moab in down there.

Edit: yup that's the video.
I really want to go to Longhorn Ranch, but haven't had the opportunity yet!

I love the area, and need to get back out there soon - my goal is to go there once a year, every year, for at least ten years (this year makes five, or six, I'll have to check =).

Telephone Canyon is on the Old Ore Rd. in BBNP, almost 1/2 way down. Great place to camp during off-season, and I've been beaten by the Telephone Canyon trail every time I've tried to dayhike it. My goal is to day-hike all the way to the canyon and back - but I keep running slower than my water/time allows. (The first 4 miles are way rougher than you'd think, and the next 4 are brutally hot, then you have to go back the same way you came! =) Last time I tried it solo, I would've made it, but I nearly stepped on a black-tip, it spooked me, and I slowed down so much that I only made it a bit more than half the target distance by noon so had to turn back.

One of the neat things about Tel Canyon, is that there is a great wash with lots of bouldering opportunities about 1/4 mile from the campsites (south on the old ore rd) that people who don't have much experience can tackle and conquer, and if you're feeling really adventurous, you can summit the alto relex in less than an hour by taking the wash to the immediate right of the Telephone Canyon trailhead, and just following it up. The only "technical" part of the summit is one slick area where you have to keep a good grip.

If I do make it, and anyone's interested - I really want to do an overnighter to south rim via Juniper canyon. It's one of the only ways to get to the south rim without running into anyone. I'll be happy to take anyone who wants to go along w/ me. (And those that don't want to go, and are camping can camp at Twisted Shoe for an awesome sunset view.)

Guale 2 is the photo in the video that shows the tent and the table, but the photo doesn't necessarily do justice to the view. You definitely camp (and park!) right on an 80-foot ledge, and you can see three canyons (with the sunset on Javelin canyon) from your tent! The trailhead from there is a great hike too, but gets a little tough to follow with false cairns on the Javelin direction of the trail.

!c
post #23 of 42 Old 02-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

You have access to Longhorn Ranch?

Quote:
post #24 of 42 Old 02-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
You have access to Longhorn Ranch?

Access == Opportunity == Thing I lack =)

Any thoughts on an exact date? So I can see if I can escape from home + the office?

May 1st-7th, perhaps?

!c

Last edited by jkdrone; 02-22-2011 at 07:24 PM.
post #25 of 42 Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdrone View Post
Access == Opportunity == Thing I lack =)

Any thoughts on an exact date? So I can see if I can escape from home + the office?

May 1st-7th, perhaps?

!c
Sunday, May 1st to Sunday, May 8th. Some may get there on April 30th. Same week we went last year. Kev and Liquor bugged out thurs. morning last year. My son and I checked out of the condo and went and camped up on the Chisos.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode