JKOwners Forum banner

AZ: Annual Mingus Mtn Fall Color Run 10/14/10

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  sapppro 
#1 ·
Last minute general call to all JK's:

We are doing our Annual Mingus Mountain Fall Color Run...

When: Sunday, October 24, 2010

Where: Meet at 9:00 AM at Cottonwood Super Walmart parking lot, depart at 9:15, air down at trailhead. Gas and snack up before meet. http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie...ocal_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBgQnwIwAA

Who: You, and any of your buddies you deem to be of worthy Jeepness. As always, please let me know if you are going to try to make it so we will look for you.

What: Mingus Mountain trail is mostly easy with one Jeepy spot that challenges stock Jeeps or novice drivers. About 3-4 hours from Cottonwood, up the mountain, with stops, and back down to Jerome. Plan would be to snack on the trail, then any interested participants can stop for lunch in Jerome. We climb over 4000 feet in elevation up the face of Mingus Mtn, so the views are spectacular, and it can be cool up top.

Why: Fall color should be in full swing by that date! Red maples and golden cottonwoods.

Bring: Yourself, your worthy Jeep (4L and 30" tires recommended, usable spare tire), water, snacks, camera, layers of clothes--it may be 85 degrees in the valley and 55 degrees up top. I will be using Motorola FRS channel 4/10 on the trail--nice if you have one, though not required.

Please don't hesitate to contact me via phone/text/email with questions! Map & photos available at http://www.jeeptrailinfo.com/trails_arizona/mingus.html

RSVP!

Happy trails,

Phone/text: (928) 274-0570
Email: info@sedonajeepschool.com

See less See more
#2 ·
Me and my dad (1 jeep) would be interested in this one if it is still on for this upcoming Sunday.

I was thinking of taking him on the CK run with Digger on the 30th, but now my wife is talking about having a halloween party on Saturday - so I would be busy getting the house ready.

I have a Rubi Unlimited with 3.5 RK lift, armor, but only 32" stock KM's. We drove through this area on the backway to Prescott in April and hit a snow storm, really nice area.

#5 ·
Yes, even though it's an easy trail, it's never busy, and offers a lot. Everyone from seasoned rock crawlers to novices in their first Jeep enjoy this one. Lots of history on that mountain! The colors are just starting to change as of Tuesday, so hopefully by Sunday, it will be awesome! For those with the time/interest, we might run through Woodchute too (1.5 hours easy-moderate).

Will be easy-peasy for your Jeep! As mentioned, mostly easy road, just need gears for the steady grade, and one rocky spot that requires some traction, articulation, or wheel placement know-how.

See you then?

#3 ·
I remember driving up Mingus back in the early 70's in my baja bug.Once found an old winchester rifle leaning up against a tree.

#8 ·
Thanks Nena for leading us on a great trip! ...and also for the advice and help troubleshooting my driveline issue. Outstanding area.

It was my dad's first jeep run and after he figured out a good way to get in the jeep, he was happy.

He and my wife really enjoyed it and talked about it the whole way home, at least till they started snoozing on the way back.

Nice meeting everyone. I will post a few pics we took in the "trail and trip report" section later today.

Mark

#9 ·
Mark, Ty, everyone--thanks for coming--Great day! Mark--I look forward to seeing the next stage of your Rubi. ;)

Some pics:

Steady climb rewarded us with great views...

And a couple of rocks to get everyone's attention...

Red Sawtooth Maples and golden Arizona Black Walnuts provided the color...

A couple of us stayed on for more--a two-hour side trip across Woodchute for a little more 4-wheeling and views:

Yes, it's a bit brushy, but gorgeous...

Jeeps adorn a 100-year-old laid rock wall, one of the few remaining signs that this was once a well-traveled road.

The viewpoints are incredible. This doesn't do it justice, but note a glimpse of the red rock views on the right:

For more trip reports, go here:
http://trailwiseusa.blogspot.com/
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?61200-Mingus-Mountain-Fall-Colors-10-24-10

To purchase maps of these trails, go here: www.JeepTrailInfo.com

Happy trails,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.