Want to camp at Pismo beach in CA in the next 6 months - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 09-10-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Want to camp at Pismo beach in CA in the next 6 months

Nothing like waking up next to the ocean!

Me and the wife want to go to Pismo beach in California to camp out and hang out right on the beach. I've never been there, but they say this is one of the few beaches in California where you can drive and camp on the beach. Also the dunes are right next door.

We would love to join up with some fellow jeepers, so if anyone has plans to go there this fall or in the spring -or- wants to help set up a trip please let me know.

We were thinking of renting a pop-up trailer close to the area to make the trip a little easier from AZ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Rock God

Look up an outfit called "Luv 2 Camp" or something like that. They rent travel trailers and they will tow it out to your spot on the beach, set it up, then come tow it away when you're done. Great way to go if you can't bring your own RV.

I go every July with my Bronco buddies but we take our own trailer. Some of my friends get the Luv 2 Camp units and it works out great for them. Bring as much firewood as you can haul.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-10-2010, 05:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

yup and get a steak at mclintocks Man I miss living on the central coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-10-2010, 05:38 PM
VKS Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by knyland View Post
Bastards always filling up you water and shit from all far away!!
post #5 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks Dusty, I'll look into those travel trailers.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Granite Guru

Try to come on a non-holiday weekend & during the winter. the weather is better if you ask me. Its usually windy as snot out there during the summer. During the holiday weekends it fills up & has to many people to really have fun.

I would reccomend staying @ Pismo Coast Village. Its 2 minutes off the OHV area & a 500 feet walk to the non OHV beach. Its also close to downtown Pismo.

The luv to camp place is good for staying on the dunes. They will drop off a trailer ready to rock.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knyland View Post
Mclintocks aint got nothin on Jocko's in Nipomo.
It is good though.

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #8 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 01:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I go to Pismo every few months, just Never on Holidays, or on weekends during the summer.

I used to camp there all the time, but its a miserable experience 80% of the time - even when we would bring our travel trailer. The wind usually whips up fiercely in the evening, meaning everyone just hunkered in the trailer or tent the whole time. Then no sleep at night with the quads and shit running through the campsites all night. Its OK sometimes, but not most of the time IMHO.

Now, we just get a hotel room in town, wheel the dunes when we want, Eat at a nice restaurant, go get shit-faced and make fools of ourselves over at Harry's bar to the live music, then stagger back to a nice soft quiet bed. The wife enjoys Pismo 150% more when we do it like this. My wife begs to go to Pismo now.

Pismo is a weird place; quite a mix of Hippies, Red-necks, off-roaders, burn-outs, homeys, cowboys, filthy rich and homeless. You'll fit in no matter what .

Oh, and Jocko's rocks! Took some friends from England there last year and thats all they talk about. They asked "what is tri-tip?", and at that moment I knew for sure that the USA is 100 times better than England.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the tips everyone! I may bring a tent and camp one night so we can we did it.... and then hit the hotel for a shower and bed for the remainder of the trip.

We just got back from camping on the mogollon rim near Payson, AZ and had a great time, but tent camping can get a lil rough after a few days.
post #10 of 23 Old 09-27-2010, 09:17 PM
VKS Fab

Little jocko's FTW!
post #11 of 23 Old 09-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

Pismo is definitely worth the the trip....there is nothing like waking up on the beach

And then going to play in the sand......

2015 Billet Silver Rubicon
4 dr | 4.5" Rubicon Express Lift | 17" Method Wheels | 35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains
A girl and her jeep......it's a beautiful thing
post #12 of 23 Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post

I used to camp there all the time, but its a miserable experience 80% of the time - even when we would bring our travel trailer. The wind usually whips up fiercely in the evening, meaning everyone just hunkered in the trailer or tent the whole time. Then no sleep at night with the quads and shit running through the campsites all night. Its OK sometimes, but not most of the time IMHO.

x2

I used to go 4-5 times a year but with each trip they close more and more of the land and it just gets more crowded. Now i just go once a year

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #13 of 23 Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Wheeler

I love Posmo, either camping at the beach or staying in town. Let me know if you're going to do either and you want some company.
post #14 of 23 Old 09-29-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

We will hit you up Thorny once we have a schedule set up. The more the merrier.
post #15 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Granite Guru

well they do close down parts of the south end of area for those flippin little snowy plover birds. But on the 1st. of october they pull down those ugly fences and we have access to those areas. i do like it better here in the fall winter months more mellow. nothin beats a early saturday morning beach cruz watching dolphins surf the waves as we drink our hot cup of joe driveing to pole 8. Although it was alot more fun pre 83 but thats just dateing myself. Come injoy it and look us locals up take you into the backwoods of our little area also.
post #16 of 23 Old 10-25-2014, 05:26 PM

Pismo Beach / Oceano Dunes

Luv2Camp is the only company that will tow them out and set them up for you on the beach, but as some of the others have said, the trailers are pretty old and not well maintained. We used to use them but this year we started using CampTime Rentals in Pismo. We pick the trailer up and tow it a few miles to the dunes with the family 4x4. I still save a ton of money on fuel, by not having to tow a rental round trip from Orange County, but end up with a much nicer trailer for less money. http://www.camptimerentals.com
post #17 of 23 Old 10-27-2014, 07:45 AM
Rock God

Nice thread resurrection. 4 years.
post #18 of 23 Old 02-17-2015, 07:22 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Nice thread resurrection. 4 years.
When you coming up Dusty? I need to put some rounds through that 1911!

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #19 of 23 Old 02-17-2015, 09:36 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
When you coming up Dusty? I need to put some rounds through that 1911!
We'll probably be headed up to the beach in July. Yeah it would be cool to shoot that thing!
post #20 of 23 Old 02-23-2015, 05:57 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry26 View Post
I've never been there, but they say this is one of the few beaches in California where you can drive and camp on the beach. Also the dunes are right next door.
Some might say it's the only CA beach you can drive on. Anyhow, great place to camp in a tent and comfortable without a air mattress.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-23-2015, 12:39 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleshharrower View Post
Some might say it's the only CA beach you can drive on. Anyhow, great place to camp in a tent and comfortable without a air mattress.
YUP.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #22 of 23 Old 03-06-2015, 12:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Now if you guys would only warm up the water out there, that place would be perfect.

JP
post #23 of 23 Old 03-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Now if you guys would only warm up the water out there, that place would be perfect.

JP

When we lived in Nipomo, we would always swim at Avila. A little warmer and protected

2010 2 door manual sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode