Big Bend Trip - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage
Big Bend Trip

Hey JK'ers. TexasKev and I are going to Big Bend Nat'l. park in May. I'll be leaving Baton Rouge early Sat., May 1. I'll be hooking up with Kev probably in San Antonio. We plan on arriving at Big Bend Sunday, May 2 and Leave to return home early Sat. morn, may 8th. Anyone thats wants to come along is welcome. We are bringing our sons along so bringing family is OK. Plan is to wheel the Nat'l. park for a couple of days and then make a side trip to close by Big Bend State Park at Lajitas. Big Bend only has a couple of challenging trails to wheel out of probably a hundred miles, but the scenery is fantastic. The state park from what I hear has more challenging trails. Also planned is to camp out a couple of days and stay in a motel a couple. Plans need to be tweeked a little. Either Kev or I will advise in this thread as plans are tweeked. Let the adventure begin.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 04-09-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 04-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Wheeler

This looks really awesome. I'm in South Texas working until sometime just before that. If I get back with enough time to put my bumper/winch etc on I'll go.

The final weapon is the brain,
all else is supplemental...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 Old 04-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Rock God

I wish I could get off....

You guys are going to love it...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 04-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I would love to make this trip. Wish it wasn't so far......and that it wasn't tax time.....and that I had someone to take care of my dog.....and....and.....and. Ugh!

Bet you guys will have a blast!

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 45 Old 04-12-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
I would love to make this trip. Wish it wasn't so far......and that it wasn't tax time.....and that I had someone to take care of my dog.....and....and.....and. Ugh!
Bet you guys will have a blast!

gonna miss ya son. Can you pass on some good photoraph sites to Kev? I've seen a lot of the ones that you have taken. really nice, expecially liked the b&w ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCAN View Post
This looks really awesome. I'm in South Texas working until sometime just before that. If I get back with enough time to put my bumper/winch etc on I'll go.
Hey RubiCAN, don't worry about the bumper/winch thing too much, both Kev and I have winches, but I seriously doubt they'll be needed. We'd be glad to have you come along.

Quote:
post #6 of 45 Old 04-12-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
I wish I could get off....

You guys are going to love it...
Hey Yoda, long time no see. wish you could make it. Did you ever go back and wheel some more at the Big Bend State Park?

Quote:
post #7 of 45 Old 04-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Hey RubiCAN, don't worry about the bumper/winch thing too much, both Kev and I have winches, but I seriously doubt they'll be needed. We'd be glad to have you come along.

Ok cool. Well I should be done with work down here by then. So, it's looking good.
Thanks

The final weapon is the brain,
all else is supplemental...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 45 Old 04-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
gonna miss ya son. Can you pass on some good photoraph sites to Kev? I've seen a lot of the ones that you have taken. really nice, expecially liked the b&w ones.
Unfortunately I didn't even get to scratch the surface in all the weeks I was there, but there are some great photo ops at:

Sotol Vista- Along the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive (western part of the park).
Green Gulch- When the agave plants are in bloom, which I don't think they will be in May- not sure.
Chisos South Rim- Especially during early morning fog/ frost & late day sunsets. Accessible from Chisos Basin, but quite a hike to get there.
Castolon- Nice black & white Old west Texas photo ops.
Glenn Springs & Grapevine Hills (Balanced Rock)- The unusual rock formations are really unique.
Sierra Del Carmen- Towards Hot Springs. Sunset really makes for an incredible picture. The rocks look purple and red at that time of day.
Santa Elena Canyon- The hike up the other side is steep, but short and well worth the time if Rio Grande isn't too high. Beautiful scenery there.
Chimneys Trail- Indian pictographs.
Terlingua Abajo- Farming village ruins from the early 20th century.
Tornillo Creek- Mysterious hoodoo rock formations.
Mariscal Mine- It is accessible from the Black Gap Road which is a really cool drive.
Lost Mine Trail- Very scenic.
The Window Pour-off at Chisos Basin- Beautiful short hike to the edge of the waterfall. Great photo op of Study Butte/ Terlingua to the west- especially at sunset. Deer are abundant here- and mountain lions frequent this area as well.
Ernst Tinaja- Unique limestone erosion makes for some great pictures.
Mule Ears Twin Peaks- A short hike- beautiful waterfall at the end if conditions permit.
Ghost Town at Terlingua- Some great black & white photo ops here.
post #9 of 45 Old 04-12-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Here are some links for those that may want to peruse. The National park website has links to lodging outside of the park in case park lodging has no vacancies. Realiziing that there may be some who would prefer to stay in a motel and not camp out, there is also a link to restaurants. These are located in Study (stoody) Butte,Teralingua and Lajitas :

Big Bend National Park Website:
http://www.nps.gov/bibe/index.htm

Big Bend State Park 4X4 Trails and Map:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...4501_0152k.pdf

Quote:
post #10 of 45 Old 04-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Be sure to stay here......Wait....I mean DON'T stay here!
Attached Images

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #11 of 45 Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Be sure to stay here......Wait....I mean DON'T stay here!
Ha, yeah you and I discussed that one before. Creepy ass looking like something out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Oh yeah, got this list together just in case:

Big Bend emergency and medical services
Big Bend Area Basic Services
Medical and Emergency Services:

IN AN EMERGENCY CALL 911 for Fire, Law Enforcement and Ambulance!

The Lajitas Infirmary provides urgent care and family practice services in Lajitas.

Office hours are Wednesday through Friday 9am-5pm. There are urgent care call back services during these nights as well as Saturday and Sunday. No Services Monday and Tuesday. Office: 432.424.5111 after hours please call the hotel front desk 432.424.5000; advise them you need to make contact with the Health Care Provider. The provider is a PA-C (Physician Assistant Certified), EMT-P (Paramedic) who has over 30 years of patient contact experience.

Automobile Repair and Towing

Terlingua Auto Service, Terlingua (432) 371-2223

Motorcycle and ATV Repair and Towing

Cycletek, Terlingua (432) 371-2560

Gasoline:

Panther Junction Chevron, Big Bend National Park (432) 477-2251
and 3 other location in the park. See park map.

Stillwell Trailer Park, FM 2627 (432) 376-2244

Big Bend Resort & RV Campground, (gas & diesel) Junction of TX 118 & FM 170 800-848-BEND

Study Butte Store, (gas, lpg & diesel) Study Butte, TX 118 (432) 371-2231

Groceries and Convenience:

The Study Butte Store, Study Butte, TX 118 (432) 371-2231

Big Bend Resort Convenience Store, Study Butte, TX 118 (432) 371-2218

The Terlingua Store, Terlingua, FM 170 (432) 371-2487

Terlingua Springs Market FM170 1/2 mile west of Junction TX118 432-371-2332

Quote:

Last edited by RubiCajun; 04-12-2010 at 08:00 PM.
post #12 of 45 Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Hey Yoda, long time no see. wish you could make it. Did you ever go back and wheel some more at the Big Bend State Park?
I am not as consistent on the boards as I used to be...don't have much free time anymore...

I don't think I have been since the last time that we spoke...the wife I went skiing this last March, when we usually go to Big Bend...so March 2009 was the last time I have been...

I think you will love it though, the scenery in the National Park is spectacular and the scenery in the state park is pretty good too, and the wheeling is better than in the national park...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #13 of 45 Old 04-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Wheeler

I would love to go but I already have too much planned this year. I am going to Big Bend over Thanksgiving week. I go every year during that week. I have never been during May but one year I did go in June and it was well over 110 deg during the day. I like November better... 80 during the day and 40 at night.

Have fun on your trip and take lots of pictures. Oh and have several
post #14 of 45 Old 04-13-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7765 View Post
I would love to go but I already have too much planned this year. I am going to Big Bend over Thanksgiving week. I go every year during that week. I have never been during May but one year I did go in June and it was well over 110 deg during the day. I like November better... 80 during the day and 40 at night.

Have fun on your trip and take lots of pictures. Oh and have several
haven't been in the summer. always sept-november. did stay there one thanksgiving and it snowed. beautiful. from what i've read, may is low on tourist and temperature is mild during the day and cool at night. of course there's a big difference in temps between chisos lodge and the desert.

Quote:
post #15 of 45 Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
.....of course there's a big difference in temps between chisos lodge and the desert.
Absolutely- One night in the Chisos Basin (in April) it snowed- very little but still. The low that morning was around 30 degrees. Three days later, I was hiking on Ore Terminal Trail (desert) and it topped out at 113 degrees. Unbelievable.
post #16 of 45 Old 04-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I'm working on getting the days off, its looking good!

If any of you who can't take the entire week off want to plan to hook up somewhere for a day or 2 of running I'm sure we can organize that.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 04-15-2010 at 09:25 AM.
post #17 of 45 Old 04-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Rock God

Wished I could go, but the wife has plans for us to be at a damn wedding durning the first week of May. Funny how she makes plans for US to be at the wedding, hell, I don't even know this person that well...

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

post #18 of 45 Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rebel View Post
Wished I could go, but the wife has plans for us to be at a damn wedding durning the first week of May. Funny how she makes plans for US to be at the wedding, hell, I don't even know this person that well...
PM me your phone number and I'll call and schedule you for some mandatory Saftey Training in San Antonio for a week.......guess what week.

Quote:
post #19 of 45 Old 04-15-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
I'm working on getting the days off, its looking good!

If any of you who can't take the entire week off want to plan to hook up somewhere for a day or 2 of running I'm sure we can organize that.
good news about the time off Kev. and what he said above.......

Quote:
post #20 of 45 Old 04-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

i got to be at jeep beach the 12th. but i may try and make this one with you all.

•
•
•
•
• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:
•
•
•
•
•

Magazine Feature:

post #21 of 45 Old 04-18-2010, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquor View Post
i got to be at jeep beach the 12th. but i may try and make this one with you all.
thats great man, glad to have you join us. which direction would you be coming from? we're still tweeking this trip. keep checking back here. as we get closer to may 1rst, we'll post final logistics.

Quote:
post #22 of 45 Old 04-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquor View Post
Yeah that would be great if you could drop in for a couple of days of wheeling. The place is well worth seeing and its gonna be fun.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #23 of 45 Old 04-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

You guys suck
You guys suck
You guys suck
You guys suck
You guys suck
You guys suck......

post #24 of 45 Old 04-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

Quote:
You guys suck
You guys suck
You guys suck
You guys suck
You guys suck
You guys suck......

lol, well you are welcome to come along

post #25 of 45 Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

im near Kansas City now and would come down I-35

•
•
•
•
• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:
•
•
•
•
•

Magazine Feature:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode