Mexico - National JK Event Nov 13-16 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 10-24-2009, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Mexico - National JK Event Nov 13-16

Hi folks, just to let you know of an upcoming National JK event south of the border in Mexico:

REUNION JEEP JK MEXICO 2009

Dates: Nov 13 - 16, 2009 (Mexican long weekend)

Its about 5.5 hour drive south from Laredo, Texas. Real de Catorce is a very old mining town located in scenic Catorce mountains, steeped in very rich history and tradition. Designated as one of Mexico's Magical Pueblos.
Info on Real de Catorce
More Info

Details: This will be a JK only event. Trails rides for stock and modified JKs on Saturday and Sunday. Several social events and get-togethers, Mexican style! Mexican "jeeperos" know how to have a good time!

Accomodation: Hotel and tent camping. Due to very cool temperatures in Nov, hotel is recommended. Make your hotel accomodations as soon as possible. Space is limited. Hotel list

Is it safe?: Hell yes. Stay on the main freeway/highway on the way down and you'll be fine. If you feel uncomfortable traveling alone, travel in a group via the main highways and you'll be safe. If you want to travel in a caravan, let us know and we'll try to organize one.

Very unique opportunity to wheel south of the border. Several attendees will be english speaking.

More info:
If you can read spanish: http://www.jeeperos.com/foros/showthread.php?t=71431

If not, email us for info in english: [email protected]

Side note: The movies "The Mexican" (Brad Pitt/Julia Roberts) and "Bandidas" (Salma Hyak/ Penelope Cruz) were filmed in Real de Catorce. Matthew McConaughey, the actor, is a frequent visitor in the area.

2008 Rubicon 2 door 6.5" lift, 37" Swampers, RR narrow tube fenders, reinforced axles, long travel shocks, Rubicrawler 10.88:1, Allied Rockathon Beadlocks, AEV snorkel, Warn winch, purejeep rocker guard, stubby tire carrier, plus a ton of other mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-24-2009, 10:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wow. That place and the trails look amazing! I can't make it from Miami but please make sure you (or anyone that goes from here) post up pictures.

May have to put this on the "to do" list for a future trip!! May have to plan a JKO invades Mexico event!!
post #3 of 19 Old 10-26-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Definitely, we will post some pictures of the event...

Next year, it will probably be held in a different location, but it will be equally interesting.

Would love to have JKOwners invade Mexico!!!! If you live in Texas, its only 5.5 hours from Laredo....

Real de Catorce is sacred to the Huichol indians because of the "Peyote". Google "Peyote" to find out what it is...

2008 Rubicon 2 door 6.5" lift, 37" Swampers, RR narrow tube fenders, reinforced axles, long travel shocks, Rubicrawler 10.88:1, Allied Rockathon Beadlocks, AEV snorkel, Warn winch, purejeep rocker guard, stubby tire carrier, plus a ton of other mods.

Last edited by VSDPV; 10-26-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Granite Guru

Makes me wish I still lived in Texas so it wouldn't be so far to drive. That looks like a amazing place to wheel.

2008 JK X - Jeep Green, 6spd, Home Made Stubby Bumper, MasterCraft Grab Handles, Husky Floor Mats
1995 YJ - Anemic 4 cylinder, 5spd SOLD
1969 CJ5 - Ran into the ground and left for dead
post #5 of 19 Old 10-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Rock God

If I had more notice I would be very interested in going for the weekend.
I am about 2.5 hours away from Laredo.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just to keep you updated... the Jeep JK Mexico event was a great success! JKs from all over Mexico and even one from California, USA.

3 days of great wheeling, fun times... a great learning experience for many Mexican JKers.

Here's some pictures:

To get to Real de Catorce, you have to drive through a 1.8 mile mining tunnel:

This is the mining town on the other side of the tunnel, dating from the early 1700's. At one time populated with over 15,000 people. Today, less than 500.

Numerous trails that once saw silver ore carried out by donkey cart, are now ideal 4x4 trails

Ghost towns and ruins are everywhere:

Hundreds of miles of trails in the Catorce mountain range

Vestiges of a prosperous bygone era are everywhere:

Many challenging trails for stock JKs:

Abandoned missions and churches to explore, if you can get to them:

Challenging stuff to get up to the alpine area:

Running up a gulley

Last edited by VSDPV; 11-20-2009 at 05:37 PM.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Abandoned mines are everywhere:

Just a little help so as to avoid body damage:

Ran into a little donkey traffic here and there, but nothing serious...

Amazing what a 4 door JK will do with a good driver.

Off camber anyone?

Alpine area:

post #8 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Excellent food and get-togethers in a restaurant dating back to the 18th century.

Town square at night:

Great exploratory fun for kids

post #9 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 06:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Very, very cool! Amazing trails, scenery/ruins and history. To drive in that mining tunnel and find that old town on the other side is crazy.

Will this event be around the same time next year?
post #10 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Rock God

really cool pictures...looks like a really cool place...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, ÜJohn 3:16Ü
post #11 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hmmm, I may need to look into this next year if ya'll do it again.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-21-2009, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The Jeep JK Mexico event is to be held every year around the middle of November. So mark your calendars. They haven't decided where the next one will be yet, but rest assured it will be somewhere equally special, with excellent wheeling and outstanding sight-seeing. We'll keep you posted well in advance.

They are also planning a JK Extreme event later in the year for modified and super modified JKs. It will be a more extreme event.

Many attendees speak english, so you don't have to worry about fitting in. The American fellow that attended from California had a blast. He raved about the entire trip. Mexican "jeeperos" tend to be really friendly and respectful. That been my experience.

post #13 of 19 Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Rock God

very cool, thanks for posting!
post #14 of 19 Old 11-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSDPV View Post
Off camber anyone?
That makes me a little queasy, that is the worst feeling in the world to me when jeeping.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Rock God

Garage

Wow sick photos. I love that type of stuff, old broken down stuff. You guys ever find squatters in the abandon buildings? The tunnel looks like a fun drive!! And the first set of pics, 11th photo down, whatda find there? lol.

Rock Krawler . Bilstein . BFG . HiLift . Aeroforce . BnM . Mobil1 . Mopar . Viair

Ragga Fucking Jungle
post #16 of 19 Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I think a trip like this would be a hoot and half. I'm saving up for this one. VSDPV keep us posted on the 2010 trip.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebigh View Post
Wow sick photos. I love that type of stuff, old broken down stuff. You guys ever find squatters in the abandon buildings? The tunnel looks like a fun drive!! And the first set of pics, 11th photo down, whatda find there? lol.
... its "Peyote" a cactus plant with halucenegetic properties. Used by the Huichol indians "to trigger states of deep introspection and insight that have been described as being of a metaphysical or spiritual nature". Basically a 12 hour "high". These plants are native to the upper areas of Real de Catorce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyote

Peyote and Huichol Indians: http://www.realdecatorce.net/huicholeseng.htm

NO squatters whatsoever. Most of these area is owned by mining companies. They would not allow it.

Last edited by VSDPV; 02-22-2010 at 09:26 AM.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-22-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickdude View Post
I think a trip like this would be a hoot and half. I'm saving up for this one. VSDPV keep us posted on the 2010 trip.
Will do!...

post #19 of 19 Old 02-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Great Pictures...Mexico is beautiful!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode