06 lj rubi build thread - Page 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 42 Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Wheeler

What did you use to line the tub? Texture looks off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 42 Old 10-06-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Tub is lined with Tuff Coat by Overton's. I wish I had used their foam roller. Still acceptable but could have been better.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #28 of 42 Old 10-06-2013, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

So the LJ went up on jack stands and under the knife this weekend. Far from done but progressing well. Axles are off and sold. Old brackets are cut off the frame and mostly cleaned up. lower ca brackets are welded on. Fenders are off. One fender cut for the PSC flares. Rear upper brackets tacked on. Next work weekend we will finish up the brackets and flares. Then the axles go under (and get their brackets removed) to mock up the towers for the ORIs. Gotta get the body lift (1 inch) on as well so we can see the real height on the rears. I will have pics from each work weekend.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29 of 42 Old 10-30-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Been a while since I have updated this. We got a chance to get the body lift on, steering shaft support (raised) on, shift linkage adapter (raised) on, and mocked up an ORI and mount (front). We are working on it for a weekend every few weeks.

Here are some pics of the ORI mock up in front post body lift. Fenders are PSC flatties and mount hoops are Genright. Amazingly we got Genright and PSC stuff that close without either one spontaneously combusting! We will cut the hoop about 2 inches shorter for final fit. This is close to full axle stuff. ORI was one of the 12s from the rear (14s going in front). Enjoy.
Attached Images

post #30 of 42 Old 10-30-2013, 07:31 PM

Awesome build. The LJs are still my favorite jeep.

2007 X 6 Speed
3.25" Rusty's Offroad Lift
Front Lower Control Arms - Rustys
Rear Upper Control Arms - Rustys
35" Mickey Thompson MTZ
17" Mickey Thompson Classic II's
Tom Woods 1310 Rear Driveshaft
OR-Fab Tire/Can Carrier
post #31 of 42 Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Granite Guru

Mine too. I regret selling mine to get JK.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
post #32 of 42 Old 10-31-2013, 05:26 AM
V8 dreams

sweet build, keep it rollin!

i've looked for an LJ and i think i can get used JK cheaper lol, they are proud of em!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #33 of 42 Old 11-01-2013, 06:00 AM
Made in the U.S.A.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
Fenders are PSC flatties and mount hoops are Genright. Amazingly we got Genright and PSC stuff that close without either one spontaneously combusting!

Looks good!!

Just don't cross the streams and everything will be fine!

GenRight Off-Road - Genuine Ideas Engineered Right
4535 Runway Street, Simi Valley, California 93063
805-584-8635

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/

post #34 of 42 Old 11-01-2013, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenRight Off Road View Post

Looks good!!

Just don't cross the streams and everything will be fine!
<translated>
Don't piss on the welder
</translated>
:-)

post #35 of 42 Old 11-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Wheeler

Build is looking good. Gonna watch this one!

2012 Ford F150 FX4 EcoBoost CCSB RaceRed
Looking for a built LJ/JKUR
post #36 of 42 Old 12-15-2013, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yesterday was a full work day. We got the rears cut and burned. Jeep is sitting on its own weight now. Also took out the roll cage in prep for the PSC fully welded one.

post #37 of 42 Old 12-15-2013, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Here are some pics of the front done.
Attached Images

post #38 of 42 Old 12-15-2013, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Here are the rears in various stages. We took a good bit of time lining everything up on the driver side. Marks were made and checked and rechecked. We went back 1 1/16 into the frame for the mounts. The mounts are almost perfectly on either side of the cross member. All cuts were made with a die grinder by yours truly. The cut on the top was a bit rough because it is hard to get to it with the body on. Zip ties to position and hold the axle mount. Once we had the driver side where we wanted it, we marked the passenger side and use the cutout from the driver to very. Everything lined up perfectly. I cut and Jayson welded the brackets in. The angle and depth were almost perfect. The top of the driver angles out 1/16 more than the passenger. We used a washer inside the mount on the bottom on the outside. One thick washer keeps the ORI from touching the mount at full twist either direction with the misalignment spacers in the ORI. The green paint you see is cover up after we cut off the factory brackets and did a bit of plug welding from a previous work day. No gas tanks were exploded during the install of these mounts...

It was VERY humid so we could not paint anything yesterday.
Attached Images

Last edited by bgall; 12-15-2013 at 06:55 AM.
post #39 of 42 Old 12-15-2013, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

And here it is on its own weight. No pressure in the ORIs yet. We left the shock brackets on since they help protect the ORI tabs on the axle.
Attached Images

post #40 of 42 Old 05-04-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Been a while since I posted in this. The LJ is almost done.

This weekend:
--We plumbed all but one last brake line (fittings were not the right pitch).
--Engine is all buttoned up and back together. Damn thing fired right up after sitting 6 months. Love the 4.0.
--We routed the fuel lines on the driver side on top of the frame rail and wrapped them in 5/16 tubing to protect them.
--Skids are all on. On the oil pan skid, attach the mount with isolator while OFF the jeep so you can put the nuts on the inside. Much less to hang up on or destroy that way.
--Cut the factory exhaust and welded it up. Ditched the muffler so just running a resonator and dumping down just past the skid. We did not use the elbow pipe that came with the TF kit. It was much better to cut the factory pipe and weld it up. Damn thing sounds really good too. Previous owner put a borla exhaust on it.
--Drive shafts are on. Had already done the rear just had to do the front this weekend. Love the Adams shafts.
--Cut the factory fan shroud so that the coolant reservoir could mount.

Still to do:
--Order/install frame mount weld on sliders from VKS. The PSC rocker knockers do not work well with a body lift. Going to call them Monday now that I have the measurements.
--Plug holes drilled for rocker knockers with led lights and wire them up...
--Final brake line. Just need it flared. The shitty autozone flaring tool was shitty. Dropped them off at a local shop to get them flared (I already bent and cut them). Still need to bleed them.
--Figure out a longer portioning valve setup for the back brakes. Factory one does not have enough length to survive full droop on the 12" ORIs.
--Rig up the inside rack for the spare tire. I want to span the tub wheel wells with a square tubing frame for the tire to sit on parallel with the ground. This will put it right over the axle for better balance. I will also suspend the spare drive shaft and a spare axle shaft from this frame. Frame will use the back seat bolts for support as well.
--Cut rear body.
--Convince myself to get the Genright tank for the rear to stretch a little farther.
--Setup the compressor and locker actuators.
--Plumb the lockers.
--Replace the windshield where we cracked it working.
--Get the speakers back in and wired.
--Final suspension tweaking and alignment.
--Decide whether to keep the wiper fluid res or not. Strut hoop sits where it was. Could use the empty spot where the ABS module would go but not sure I even want to keep the spray.
--Figure out final air intake setup. We just put the factory on sitting up over the grill supports. A straight tube with cone filter should work fine. Just want a cheap and easy to replace paper filter. Don't want to mess with the oiled ones.
--Break in the tire sidewalls. Need to put them around 0 psi and run it up and down the street on a hot day.

Long term:
Pull the body and weld up a few additional supports for the rear strut mounts. They are solid and fit great but some reinforcement in the rear would be nice. I only cut the frame half way through and it turned out really good. When we looked at it we agreed that this would be plenty stable and keep the frame more solid than going all the way back to the rear frame wall like I have seen some done.
Switch to an electric fan. Have a junkyard one ready.
Hydro assist. Probably a redneck ram.

Some updates:
Love the PSC laser fit cage.

The LJ will probably come home with me after 1 or 2 more working weekends. It will be ready for its maiden voyage then as well. I promise pictures after we get it cleaned up and rolling good. Will also provide "maiden voyage" pics of it at Morris Mountain. GBU, gauntlet, and destabilizer will be the breaking obstacles. I will also see how it does on Los Primos to test wheel base.

post #41 of 42 Old 06-29-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Got the VKS sliders on this weekend. Next time it comes home for the finishing work. I like the VKS sliders much better than the PSC rocker knockers. Knockers did not fit right in front.
Attached Images

post #42 of 42 Old 01-31-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

All done but the hydro. Here are a few pics on destabilizer at Morris Mountain. Also did Gauntlet. Was just too wet and muddy for some of the obstacles there. Enjoy. Oh yeah, I LOVE THE LJ and will be selling my JK so I can get a tow rig for more serious rides.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode