Helping a friend with a TJ - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Helping a friend with a TJ

Alright guys,

I have a buddy who just inherited a white TJ bone stock and he is looking to do a simple wheel/tire/lift setup and asked me for help. From this board I've learned a great deal of information for the JK but still don't know to much about the TJ's as I've never played with them. So for lift what do you guys recommend? Looking at the Teraflex or Rubicon Express puck lifts for the price range he gave me, I know their not much different but have you guys had any experience with either kit? What size tire will it clear stock vs. with the puck lift on? Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 09:44 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

With a TJ, from my experience in ownership, a 4" lift will fit 33's nicely. A puck lift will allow for 31's without worry. You could probably squeeze 33's on the puck lift, but would probably rub when flexed. Weird, so used to the JK now that the idea of 33's being too big seems foreign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Wheeler

I have put a 3inch zone and a 4 inch zone on 2 different TJ's.

They are both good lifts for the money. The owners of both jeeps are very pleased with the results as they use them for mild offroading and street diving.

The Jeep with the 4 inch lift is running 33's and the jeep with the 3 inch lift is running 32's.

One is a 2004 jeep TJ the other is a 1998 TJ.

If you do decide on a zone lift I recommend an adjustable trackbar.

http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=21&gr=-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Rock God

I've had a tj with a 4in super lift and 35s... I personally think that was an awesome combo... and the wheel gap is just about perfect

Sent from the drag strip!

Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
02 TJ: SOLD
2000 Dodge Ram 2500 V10:SOLD
2006 Mustang GT: CAI, O/R Hpipe, SLP axle backs, short throw shifter, tune, and one crazy driver!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I really don't believe we will be going with anything over a 2in puck lift. The TJ will be wheeled very lightly and will mainly be used on their family farm. His game plan is to get wheels/tires and then in a few months pick up the lift. Thank you guys for the replies
post #6 of 8 Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuwirth Motors Parts View Post
I really don't believe we will be going with anything over a 2in puck lift. The TJ will be wheeled very lightly and will mainly be used on their family farm. His game plan is to get wheels/tires and then in a few months pick up the lift. Thank you guys for the replies
If he isn't going to wheel much, just get a good 31" tire and some steelies and be done with it. Trying to squeeze 33's is going to open up a can of worms you don't want to deal with.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #7 of 8 Old 06-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

Had a TJ with a 2"puck lift and 33's. It worked pretty well, rubbed a little at full stuff but nothing to really worry about. For a mild wheeler I don't think you can beat the looks of the 2" with 33's.

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDukit View Post
Had a TJ with a 2"puck lift and 33's. It worked pretty well, rubbed a little at full stuff but nothing to really worry about. For a mild wheeler I don't think you can beat the looks of the 2" with 33's.
You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode