Rubicon TJ- auto shift issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Rubicon TJ- auto shift issue

Friend has an automatic 06 TJ Rubicon with 49k miles that has a problem..

when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, the vehicle will lunge. The heavier the acceleration, the more pronounced the problem.

Torque converter issue?
Computer, sensor ( shift point) issue?
Transmission issue?
Accelerator issue?

Any ideas appreciated.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

bump

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Without experiencing the problem first hand it's hard to say, but it sound like a transmission issue like the clutch pack is slipping or the converter has missing/damaged vanes from being poorly maintained. At least those could be possibilities. Is it only between 1st and 2nd? What rpm is it first noticeable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

It sounds like a "TV" or throttle valve issue. Usually it's from a sticking TV cable (Goes FROM throttle body down to transmission) Depending on throttle position it regulates the shift @ the right rpm vs throttle position. However I don't know if they even had em on up to '06. May have stopped using em in '98 Really common issue on older (94 -01) Dodge trucks

'10 Surf 2Door Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-Vid Flexin' Muscle

6.2 liter Motec Ls swapped 2011 Jku with Rock Jock 60, Dynatrac rcv Pr44, and usual other beef on 37" MTR's.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-11-2012, 03:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

Not sure exactly what you're talking about but I think my JK does something similar...
From 2nd to 3rd, if I keep the gaz pedal really steady after an acceleration it shifts really weird, like it loses power, the Jeep plunges forward and bang the 3rd engages...
It feels weird, and costly...
But I have changed the diff gears, 37" tires, suspension lift, etc.
It's reprogrammed but all these mods may be the cause...
post #6 of 14 Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Thank you guys. Much appreciated.

No idea of the RPMs...and yes..only between 1st and 2nd, from what I know.

post #7 of 14 Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Wheeler

In advance, I'd like to say thanks for all your help guy's.

The issue seams to only be happening when I'm approaching 30mph, and going into second, she jump's or lunges into second. The hit seams to be, "allot" less hardcore if I approach very slowly, if I'm moving a Lil faster it starts to kick pretty hard, but every other gear shifts fine. and when shifting down there is no delay or negative feedback

My stinger usually grants me the right of way, "Mr.SmartCar".. just sayin'
post #8 of 14 Old 04-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Wheeler

Hey guys just to clear things up I said originally that this happened at 30mph my mistake. This lunge is occurring at 15mph right as you hit the marker on the gauge she shifts hard.

Ran the issue by my dad the other night, he brought up the thought that it could be a drying of the grease in the constant velocity shaft, so I got under her n greased it up, drove her and sadly whatever this is, is still an issue. My brother also jumped in saying it could be a miss seting on the passing gear, but I haven't explored that idea just yet.

Thanks for your feedback guy's wicked appreciated!

post #9 of 14 Old 06-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Wheeler

Hey guys back again issue is still unresolved

Pulled the pan, no sign's of any metal flaking inside, super clean fluid. Changed the filter out, and added 6 new quarts of ATF+4. She ran great for the next couple of days, and then all the sudden it was back to the lungeing into second again..

Could it be a modulator valve causing an issue with vaccuum pressure in the transmission? Or could it maybe be a sensor?

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

post #10 of 14 Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

No codes I take it?
Look at the transmission mount.if it is too soft it could be exaggerating the shift.

Also the main solenoid body on these are not the greatest. would be about $180 plus a bit of work to get it out.

you do not have a modulator or a tv cable on this trans it's all electronic.

At the shop we just sent one out for a similar issue and are having it fully rebuilt with new electronics and converter. It had progressed a little further and was slipping the direct clutches pretty bad.

I just seen this thread is old but good info for anyone searching.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Granite Guru

My 42RLE does the same, its like it intends to shift and tries to lock into 2 gears at once. You stomp on it, and it slips then bangs into the next gear.
Its done it on mine since new.

Chrysler always said they cant repeat problem.
Chrysler is a POS.

As long as you dont stomp on it or hard accelerate, it usually doesnt do it. It seems random though.
Ive just lived with it though.
With the Atlas, it accentuates the issue because you hear the gears in the case slam/chatter back and forth when it does it.
Strangest thing ever.

Click the sig for everything you need to build a JEEP... 805-706-0232
NEW PRODUCTS ADDED DAILY !!!

----> Click and download the new catalog!!!

post #12 of 14 Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Wheeler

Thank you for the input guys I really appreciate it, sorry i haven't been on here for a while to respond.

I'm actually no longer having an issue with my 42RLE. The last thing I did was have the TCM run for codes, and nothing came up. After that she continued to shift roughly into second gear, but I later had issues with the 4WD light flashing, so I ran through the Transfer case in each gear. Once I did that and played with the Over Drive switch a few times while driving she hasn't shifted roughly anymore. So I think it could've either been something to do with the Computer reading that she was either in 4WD or that the over drive was turned off. I'm not 100% sure could've just been a fluke but she has been running smoothly now for a few months (knock on wood) haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thean View Post
My 42RLE does the same, its like it intends to shift and tries to lock into 2 gears at once. You stomp on it, and it slips then bangs into the next gear.
Its done it on mine since new.

Chrysler always said they cant repeat problem.
Chrysler is a POS.

As long as you dont stomp on it or hard accelerate, it usually doesnt do it. It seems random though.
Ive just lived with it though.
With the Atlas, it accentuates the issue because you hear the gears in the case slam/chatter back and forth when it does it.
Strangest thing ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd Garage View Post
No codes I take it?
Look at the transmission mount.if it is too soft it could be exaggerating the shift.

Also the main solenoid body on these are not the greatest. would be about $180 plus a bit of work to get it out.

you do not have a modulator or a tv cable on this trans it's all electronic.

At the shop we just sent one out for a similar issue and are having it fully rebuilt with new electronics and converter. It had progressed a little further and was slipping the direct clutches pretty bad.

I just seen this thread is old but good info for anyone searching.

post #13 of 14 Old 03-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

That could have helped it fully learn it's adaptive shift patterns as well. If you can have the PCM's adaptive shifts (quick Learn)reset it can help with poor shifts. You need a scanner with oem level access.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd Garage View Post
That could have helped it fully learn it's adaptive shift patterns as well. If you can have the PCM's adaptive shifts (quick Learn)reset it can help with poor shifts. You need a scanner with oem level access.
I was thinking it must've been something like that once it finally went back to shifting normal, but like you say Ill check out the PCM and see what's up with it. Thank you very much for your input man.

That goes for everyone else here as well, thank you guys for the information and ideas on this issue, it has all been very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode