Why are my coils bowing?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Why are my coils bowing??

pissed:
Need help please!!
I am installing a skyjacker 4" lift on my TJ and the coils are bowing very badly in the front. Bad enough to touch the bump stops. I have installed 3 of these same lifts in the last 6 mos and have never come across this issue. Any ideas??
My guess is that the alignment is really off and I am hoping that when I am done, and take it to get aligned, this will go away. I marked the cam washers on the lower links before the teardown and put them back in the same spot during install.

Also I am having the same issue on the rear springs. I am having a terrible time getting the rear track bar to line up as well.

Please JK family, help!!!

Thank you!!

:

2009 SUNBURST ORANGE JK 4 DOOR SOFT TOP. 4" PRO COMP LIFT W/ 35" X 12.50" PROCOMP EXTREME ALL TERRAINS ON 18" ULTRA ROGUE WHEELS. FABTECH PRE-RUNNER FRONT BUMPER. HID LIGHT KIT AND STILL BUILDING...........

RED DRAGONS!!!

shout out to Ellis Mate

p.s....I took a sh*t in your Moms fish tank

Last edited by MOTO X JK; 11-06-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

What does it look like when you move the axle up to "ride height"?

The axle drops down and back as it articulates and it looks like youve got it fully dropped out in these pictures. Get it closer to ride height with the floor jack and see what you look like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 Old 11-07-2011, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The front and rear both do the same at ride height. It is not as bad, but still not how it should be. I am lost here.

2009 SUNBURST ORANGE JK 4 DOOR SOFT TOP. 4" PRO COMP LIFT W/ 35" X 12.50" PROCOMP EXTREME ALL TERRAINS ON 18" ULTRA ROGUE WHEELS. FABTECH PRE-RUNNER FRONT BUMPER. HID LIGHT KIT AND STILL BUILDING...........

RED DRAGONS!!!

shout out to Ellis Mate

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Granite Guru

Looks just like every Tj I have lifted 4" Plus with stock length control arms.....
You need longer lower arms to gain your wheelbase back and at that control arm angle its going to ride horrible, very pop-go stick like
I am working on a mid- arm for for Tj-Lj Jeep's using factory JK control arms to help with that exact problem
Also these will help alot in the rear https://secure.aev-conversions.com/s...ode=NTH23030AA

Last edited by flip2spin; 11-07-2011 at 06:52 AM.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-07-2011, 07:06 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip2spin View Post
Looks just like every Tj I have lifted 4" Plus with stock length control arms.....
You need longer lower arms to gain your wheelbase back and at that control arm angle its going to ride horrible, very pop-go stick like
I am working on a mid- arm for for Tj-Lj Jeep's using factory JK control arms to help with that exact problem
Also these will help alot in the rear https://secure.aev-conversions.com/s...ode=NTH23030AA
I was going to say that but it looks like he has replaced the lowers.

Definitely a lot of lift for only aftermarket lower arms either way. Unless Skyjacker is exaggerating their height.

Marcus

post #6 of 21 Old 11-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Granite Guru

If I am no mistaken Skyjacker only offers factory length arms in the non adjustable ones But Im not 100% positive
post #7 of 21 Old 11-07-2011, 10:26 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

You may very well be right! I dont know the answer to that one either.

That would be pretty silly. Lol

post #8 of 21 Old 11-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Granite Guru

Yup, factory length non-adjustables with a shit ton of lift.... I bet that rides Niiiiiiiice.....

LOL

Where the cool kids in VA hang out!!

Military? Got a Jeep?

post #9 of 21 Old 11-07-2011, 04:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Needs longer arms that are adjustable!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #10 of 21 Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I was thinking the same thing about the lower arms, however the other three lifts that I have done this summer were the exact same lift as this one and I did not run into this issue. I cant figure why this one should be different. This is the skyjacker economy lift (4") that runs between $500 and $600 depending on where you buy it. I guess you get what you pay for..lol. I am banging my head against the wall trying to figure why this is happening on this one but never had the problem before?

RED DRAGONS!!!

shout out to Ellis Mate

post #11 of 21 Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Is it back on the ground yet? Do you have pictures of the coils with it sitting on the tires?

Marcus

post #12 of 21 Old 11-07-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Is it back on the ground yet? Do you have pictures of the coils with it sitting on the tires?

Marcus
Not yet, I was waiting to figure out what had to be done to fix it before putting it all back together. I was wondering if the cam washers could be rotated to change the angle of the axle. Would that help or just really f-up my alignment?

RED DRAGONS!!!

shout out to Ellis Mate

post #13 of 21 Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I think you should put the tires on and set it down. The axle is gonna come up, those springs are going to compress, and the axle will somewhat recenter itself.

Try it.

post #14 of 21 Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Rock God

i feel for ya..
post #15 of 21 Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I think you should put the tires on and set it down. The axle is gonna come up, those springs are going to compress, and the axle will somewhat recenter itself.

Try it.
I will try it and post the results. I won't have time until later in the week, but I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the input!!

I just have to get the rear track bar to line up before I can get the rear wheels on it and get it on the ground, which thus far has proven more difficult than previous installs.

RED DRAGONS!!!

shout out to Ellis Mate

post #16 of 21 Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Use a big ratchet strap from the frame to the opposite side of the axle and pull it into place. Or use the floor jack to move it up and down until you cna get the bolt in. The axle will move in an arc from left to right as it articulates without the track bar connected.

Is this lift taller than the ones you've installed previously?

Marcus

post #17 of 21 Old 11-08-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Use a big ratchet strap from the frame to the opposite side of the axle and pull it into place. Or use the floor jack to move it up and down until you cna get the bolt in. The axle will move in an arc from left to right as it articulates without the track bar connected.

Is this lift taller than the ones you've installed previously?

Marcus
I have tried the ratchet strap and the floor jack and couldn't get it to line up. I was getting kind of frustrated so maybe I need to re-group and try again. I know you are right about using a strap though as I have done it before and it worked well.

This it the 4th time I have installed this exact lift since June. I have been buying TJ's cheap, and then lifting them, putting soft 8's with 33's and new bumpers along with repairing what ever needs to be repaired to make them right. Then selling them for very minimal profit. Really doing it as a hobby, at no cost to me in the end. I consider it kind of a form of "art" I guess, and usually it is fun and even relaxing. I use the same lift, bumpers, wheels, tires, etc. for all of them and this is the only one that has given me trouble.

Just for fun, here is the last one I built

RED DRAGONS!!!

shout out to Ellis Mate

Last edited by MOTO X JK; 11-08-2011 at 06:49 PM.
post #18 of 21 Old 11-08-2011, 07:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Did the spings seem any harder to get in? They seem longer than the springs in the pic for the lift. Not that that's any foolproof way of measuring.

Sent from my mind using telekynesis!

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #19 of 21 Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

That's really cool man! Very nice TJ you rebuilt there!

My eventual goal is to buy, rebuild, and sell. It was the goal from the beginning, just haven't made that move yet.

Marcus

post #20 of 21 Old 11-09-2011, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
Did the spings seem any harder to get in? They seem longer than the springs in the pic for the lift. Not that that's any foolproof way of measuring.

Sent from my mind using telekynesis!
Funny you should ask. I thought it seemed EASIER this time for some reason.

RED DRAGONS!!!

shout out to Ellis Mate

post #21 of 21 Old 11-09-2011, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
That's really cool man! Very nice TJ you rebuilt there!

My eventual goal is to buy, rebuild, and sell. It was the goal from the beginning, just haven't made that move yet.

Marcus
Thanks Marcus.

RED DRAGONS!!!

shout out to Ellis Mate

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode