Good deal for this TJ? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-20-2011, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Good deal for this TJ?

Got a bead on a 97 TJ.....body is really nice, interior is also in great shape. Green with khaki interior. Half doors. About 3" of cheap RC lift (don't care about that, I'll address it).

The potentially bad: 4-cyl, 3-speed auto, 185k. Dude came straight out and said it was a slug. Apparently it runs great though and passes emissions fine....just s-l-o-w......

$4500 and even has some room to move. Fair deal?

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
Got a bead on a 97 TJ.....body is really nice, interior is also in great shape. Green with khaki interior. Half doors. About 3" of cheap RC lift (don't care about that, I'll address it).

The potentially bad: 4-cyl, 3-speed auto, 185k. Dude came straight out and said it was a slug. Apparently it runs great though and passes emissions fine....just s-l-o-w......

Offer $3500 and he will come back at at $3800-4000

Does it have AC?

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #3 of 9 Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Granite Guru

What size tires? Anything bigger than stock with that powertrain would make just achieving/maintaining highway speed a real chore. The price seems ok, I guess it would depend on what you intend to use it for.

Pics?

2009 X 2-door 6-speed
budget boost, bilsteins, discos, 35's, 4.88's, and more issues than TV Guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:

Damn you are in Parker, so am I. I just picked up a 98 2 weeks ago and paid 7500$ it is great condition has the 6 cylinder. You can do a lot with 3 grand though. If you need parts let me know, i have a great lead on a local guy, he is on this board.

My Heep
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59200

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
post #5 of 9 Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by a plumber View Post
Damn you are in Parker, so am I. I just picked up a 98 2 weeks ago and paid 7500$ it is great condition has the 6 cylinder. You can do a lot with 3 grand though. If you need parts let me know, i have a great lead on a local guy, he is on this board.

My Heep
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59200
There he goes let the build take off, couldn't just leave it stock lol
post #6 of 9 Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Really I'd buy it just to have the chassis for whatever butchery / fab I wanted to do with it. My daily driver is an MS3, and I get annoyed enough by driving my 2-dr JK with a 6-speed. I know it would kill me dead driving it. There's probably no possible way to take it over I-70 into the mountains either. That's why I'm just considering it.

Believe me I'd love to offer $3500 and see if he bites....but the problem is that this is Colorado, where regardless of condition Wranglers magically sell every day for +30-40% more than the rest of the country.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #7 of 9 Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLZ View Post
There he goes let the build take off, couldn't just leave it stock lol
Just a little bed liner done, ordered a tie rod and ss. I think for the most part that will be it......................

for a while

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
post #8 of 9 Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Really I'd buy it just to have the chassis for whatever butchery / fab I wanted to do with it. My daily driver is an MS3, and I get annoyed enough by driving my 2-dr JK with a 6-speed. I know it would kill me dead driving it. There's probably no possible way to take it over I-70 into the mountains either. That's why I'm just considering it.

Believe me I'd love to offer $3500 and see if he bites....but the problem is that this is Colorado, where regardless of condition Wranglers magically sell every day for +30-40% more than the rest of the country.
When i was looking i thought the exact same thing,i looked all over the country and we seemed to be higher. I lucked out with this one, i was taking kids on a walk and found it in my neighborhood

post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Rock God

Garage

I had a 4cyl 5-speed and it was a slug. With 4.88s and 35's it would barely hold 70mph. If there was a headwind forget about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode