BigJerm's JK replacement - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

BigJerm's JK replacement

Been wanting to post awhile but wanted to wait for some mods to be done.

So I had a 2dr JK on 35s but wanted a 4door. I got a 4 door Rubicon but at the time I financially I became "car poor" and got rid of it. Then I got an LJ last year barely used with 14k miles on it! The LJ is my favorite body wrangler and is the wife's as well.

The LJ had the following mods: Chrome grille, chrome tail light covers, chrome tube front bumper, chrome rear bumper, chrome side steps, chrome gas filler neck surround, 2" ProComp lift (still on), 3" Rugged Ridge body lift (now replaced with 1" daystar), Mickey Thompson classic lock 15" wheels, Pro Comp 35" tires and a body mounted rear tire carrier, besttop maybe?

Day I brought it home:

Quickly found some stuck bumpers

Then came the decision... 35's or 33's? I was going to remove the BL and go 33's but the wife said any Jeep without 35's looks silly so guess I had to keep 35's. I hate tall Jeeps so Metalcloaks it was. I got metalcloak front fender flares, rear cutout with 4" flares. I also removed the 3" BL for a 1" BL. So now I have 35's with a total of 3" of lift. Oh, and removed the chrome grille.

Need some steps for the short wife so I went AtoZ sliders. The rear angle fit perfectly and i chopped the front off to fit with the new fenders. Also, painted the rear inner fender black, looks a lot better IMO.

Mounted my small, but reliable compressor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-13-2011, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Then my next was a winch. Found a smoking deal on Amazon on the XRC8 comp and winch plate and free shipping. Also trimmed the stock bumper up:

Then I added a Rough Country tie rod, Currie Antirock, Skidrow steering skid and 35" MTR's. Had to cut the links and on the Antirock down a lot to fit 2" of lift.
New tie rod on the left:

And the latest round of mods; Aussie locker and Ten Factory front axle shafts.

Aussie in

New shafts on the left

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
post #3 of 23 Old 06-13-2011, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I had removed the rear tire carrier. I thought it was installed wrong but I re-did the install myself and it still was pulling on the tail gate to much. Right now the spare it strapped down in the back where the backseat should be. I am going back and forth on doing a rear bumper/tire carrier or making some kind of storage enclosure in the back mounting the spare on top of it.

Next up for mods is rear axle shafts, belly up with engine skid by UFC, gears, possible the bumper/tire carrier and upgrading the steering.

2006 LJ - current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I miss mine, man.

Looks like a great LJ.......especially w/ only 14k miles. Those fenders and tires look awesome on that thing. She was definitely right about the 35's.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 23 Old 06-13-2011, 06:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I love LJs. I'm still holding out hope that someone at jeep makes a long wheelbase JK that only has 2 doors. Perhaps an LJK?

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #6 of 23 Old 06-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
I love LJs. I'm still holding out hope that someone at jeep makes a long wheelbase JK that only has 2 doors. Perhaps an LJK?
isn't that the J8?

http://www.jgms.com/products/3dr-base

I can't remember who, but I think I saw a home conversion on here too.

P.S. AWESOME LJ!!

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #7 of 23 Old 06-13-2011, 06:21 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I could drool over your Jeep for hours. Love the LJ and love that color!

Nice work man! Nice work!

Marcus

post #8 of 23 Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think that's one of the best LJ builds I've seen. Very nice!!

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #9 of 23 Old 06-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Rock God

I'm a big fan of LJs too Jeremy,although I've never owned one.That's a great looking ride.You need to try and make it down to Savannah again.

'08 Rubicon UL Red Rock(SOLD)
'83 CJ-7
post #10 of 23 Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I could drool over your Jeep for hours. Love the LJ and love that color!

Nice work man! Nice work!

Marcus
^^^This, well except the color. Looks great in red, just not my favorite.

You did a great job with it and cool to see the transition from start to finish.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #11 of 23 Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Granite Guru

Looks very nice.... i miss my LJ

07 JKU
3.5 Clayton
37" Trailgrapplers
post #12 of 23 Old 06-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I have found that the CJ tailgate conversion to be a great mod. Its easy and its fits in the same hole.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #13 of 23 Old 06-15-2011, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
I have found that the CJ tailgate conversion to be a great mod. Its easy and its fits in the same hole.

Jason
Yes been looking at a drop down tailgate mod and the Gr8top truck to cab... Wife is not to crazy but man I love it!

2006 LJ - current
post #14 of 23 Old 06-18-2011, 01:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Nice LJ dude. I'm jealous
post #15 of 23 Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

First real trip... Did great! Need a belly up though

2006 LJ - current
post #16 of 23 Old 06-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
Yes been looking at a drop down tailgate mod and the Gr8top truck to cab... Wife is not to crazy but man I love it!
I need the back seat apparently, I still love the Cj tailgate esp when camping

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #17 of 23 Old 06-21-2011, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I have no need for the backseat... yet... I built a cheap rear storage unit that holds the spare tire on top and gives me room to put things under it. Nothing fancy and its just plywood painted and 2x4's so no added security but its getting the job done for now. As much as I want the rear bumper/tire carrier its just more weight, something that sticks off the backend further (no good for a LCOG vehicle) and more importantly more $$$

2006 LJ - current
post #18 of 23 Old 07-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Now that's sweet. I'd love to do an LJ build.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #19 of 23 Old 01-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Wheeler

Nice LJ, I am looking a doing the same thing, get rid of my JK for a TJ or a LJ.
post #20 of 23 Old 08-29-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Man guess I forgot about this thread!

Didn't go for a full belly up ($) but matched my engine skid with an Undercover Fab trans skid that requires no body lift and gave me an inch and a quarter of clearance not to mention a smooth surface to slide over the rocks!

Had to bend my engine skid some

Blew out my crap ProComp shocks so replaced with some old man emu. Got an extra fuse panel and wired all my electronics correctly with relays and all.

And finally did it, smittybuilt rear tire carrier

And a little action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 LJ - current
post #21 of 23 Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looking Good Jeremy!

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #22 of 23 Old 09-04-2012, 01:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That's f'ing NICE! Love an LJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube
Once upon a time grown men didn't act like assholes for no reason nor get butt-hurt by complete strangers.

Then the internet was born.
post #23 of 23 Old 09-10-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Appreciate it. Feel free to vote for my wife driving the LJ on the Poison Spyder next Spyder girl on Facebook. Her name is Megan B!
http://apps.facebook.com/contestshq/...tries/57698522

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 LJ - current

Last edited by Bigjerm; 09-10-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode