JKOwners Forum banner

my favorite Jeep ...

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  MTbound 
#1 ·
I am always goin'-on about this re: my JKU or that re: my JKU , blah,blah,blah...

I didn't know we had an XJ thread here;
thread seemed lonely so I figured I would post a couple pix
of my favorite Jeep. It is a 1995 Cherokee Country.

She got upgraded to a 3" coil/leafspring pack upgrade at 350,000 miles. Also got some nice shocks , links and some 15" steel D-windows with 31" Dick Cepak AT tires.

there is my Cherokee.:wink2:

:jeep2:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)

it is now just under 400,000 on original 4.0 HO inline6 . Luckily, no longer being daily driven. I have run 4 qts of Shell Rotella T6 ( old style) 15w-40 + 1 qt of this lil' secret sauce : http://prolong.com/c_gal_oilstab.html
every 3000 miles in her since 150,000th. ( a trucker at a muffler shop told me it was not snake-oil and turned-out to be right) ...we've had compression test done in last few years & it was barely off from stock 4.0l comp ratio specs in each of her 6 cyl's . The valve cover gasket has been replaced, I threw a stock radiator off eBay in it and replaced the severely gone motor mounts ( and countless water pumps, fuel filters , fuel pumps , yuk...:puke:) and redid the brakes with a booster,MC & Powerstop rotors/pads. Last year I replaced the headliner , stereo & got seat-covers but that is it. Wife DD for 15 years & two (now) teenagers thru 8 baseball seasons & 10 softball + it was their school bus, too! She got a new RAM truck this year so I can finally give it some TLC. I have NEVER changed the auto transmission fluid and filter. I am doing that this Fall.

I also have to revamp the lower panel where the trim was no longer sticking

There is another red 94 XJ that is the only other one in this region (mid-Tennessee) which surpasses mine as far as mileage ( I think it is nearing 700,000 by now?)and lack of many mods. I saw it at the Franklin/Brentwood Jeep stealership about 5 years back and the owner even had plastic on the seats like your grandma put on couches. It was immaculate. Literally like factory with all Mopar accessories on it. This is the one I reference: https://www.allpar.com/old/high-miles/richey.php

I have changed mine from stock but not by much.
I really like that it looks exactly the same as it did when we got it but just slightly lift/leveled and larger tires.

On that spare subject, you have no idea how glad I am you caught that!

Bleepin Jeep did a great video on how to use the stock location for a 31" tire which I did. Those photos show the 31" covered by an adapted cover I ran after following this --->

but now that it has 32" tires, I can no longer fit the spare in there. So, it has a 31" spare, lol.

thanks for commenting. I have nearly 6 times the financial invest in my crawler JKU , & only nominal $ invested in the YJ tht's up in the mountains @my folks home, but if I were forced to keep or chose just one , it'd be Cherry the red Jeep XJ, without hesitation.

:jeep2:

#4 ·
Hell sometimes I think about ditching the JK and getting one of these older XJ's. Maybe when my little girl takes the JK over, I will go back in time. Even a Wagoneer would be sweet. We had a 2 door dookie brown when we moved out to Texas from California. It was my brothers first vehicle and he disliked it, so they sold it and bought him a single cab truck.

The only problem with the Wagoneer was all the vacuum lines. To engage the four-wheel drive there was a rotary dial inside the glove box, ran by vacuum lines. I'm sure half those lines were capped and didn't function in anyway.

#5 ·
My '98 XJ had 225,000 when it got its engine rebuild. In 2015 at 240M I sold it, as the body rust was advancing and my wife was getting after me to replace it with something newer, so I ordered the JKU. The XJ was a totally competent - and very nicely styled - vehicle. Love those XJs!

#8 ·
I had a 94 2 door manual, unfortunately totaled in an accident, and and 01 4 door automatic. Both were fun, but sold the 01 due to not being able to stand driving an automatic any longer. That's when I bought my JK.

Reactions: j3ff3ry_j33p
#9 · (Edited)
those were nice XJs !

boy, you REALLY don't like automatic slushboxes , huh?

I'm cut from same gib as you are about auto trans
over 35 yrs of driving , I've had around 25 vehicles & only the current 3 have been autos. I think they're overtly complicated & by design nowhere near as robust as a manual .
Yet, I had a change of heart & am now resolute in only wanting to take on fun rocks w/ an automatic rig

It happened when I went one of my first times rockcrawling in a buddies buggy. It was a TJ that had an LS innit.
he let me drive, showing me my first lockout-able, Winters shifter. I learned things like how important it was to be able to fast move from "1" thru "N" to "R" in a blink of an eye if the rear lifted towards endover, or how throwing it to "2" from "N" to throttle w/ less , popping torque could take less toll on driveline bits was often prudent...little tips, like brake-stands on downward ledges taller than your rig is long , or finesse bumps in offcamber perches that you often stallout-on if a clutch engagement were necessary.

I think it gives me more fine-touch ,minute movement control. Spotter asks me to roll back 1-2" only?
I can roll back exactly 1-2".
No clutch slip.
I often twofoot/twopedal on rocks.

Anyway, I realized tht for me to become adept at this rocksport I fell hard for was to get over my stigma & try to learn about check valves , viscous couplers ,aux fluid coolers, torque converters & less self-servicing of some things.

I just wish I could get a sidewinder shifter for the 42RLE , lol

#11 · (Edited)

will it ease this tension if I tell you I shift my
auto manually & at just the right RPM ? 1,2,D,OD ?
I do.

the 3.8l won't windup to the right speed even tuned + with 5.13s
it's an '11,too ; that means it's the one model you cannot adjust the shiftpoints on with a FlashPaq. :eyeroll:
so I've always driven it like that. :wink2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.