Mexico - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-03-2007, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage
Mexico

Boy I would love to drive my JK to Mexico one day. I know some here already make the trips for camping and racing.

So what's involved in traveling to Mexico these days? Whats safe and whats not? Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Garage

Shaffer will be taking his JK down to Baja this year to chase our race XJ in the Baja 1000.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-04-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I was talking to him about that. Just didn't think Debbie was up to that much dirt, dust etc for any long time. But it did get me thinking as I've seen some great looking places down there I'd like us to see.

I'm curious as to how things are now days. Back when I was growing up we used to cross into TJ and go drinking and what have you. All I had to do then was pack a 20 in my shoe and when we would get arrested, flash the 20 and the federalie would drive us to the border, no harm no foul. Just not sure what the "rules" are and driving something someone would "want" as I never drove before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Boy I would love to drive my JK to Mexico one day. I know some here already make the trips for camping and racing.

So what's involved in traveling to Mexico these days? Whats safe and whats not? Any recommendations?
Well....that has a lot to do with how adventurous you are and how risk averse you are!

We go almost monthly (except July and August).

Passports are not required yet as they have extended the deadline but highly recommended.

We go to Rocky Point. Before we got our RV, we took our MDX down when we rented a house. We now tow the Jeep behind our RV and purchase insurance by the year for both the RV and Jeep.

First - Mexican insurance is mandatory - don't let anyone tell you differently UNLESS you are right at the border - but even then - if it gets stolen - you're screwed. If you are there more than 2 weeks - the annual rate is about the same!

As for driving - we go anywhere and everywhere. Of course we usually have three large dogs (one is a wolf) in the back, so are not usually messed with.

Really depends on where you are heading. We have gone to TJ, Nogales, and Rocky Point with the Jeep.

Border returns sometimes can be a royal pain and take quite a while.

Basics
- no weapons unless you don't mind spending years in a Mexican jail
- no drugs - unless you don't mind doin' lots of 'splaining at the border...

No problems so far...
post #5 of 10 Old 10-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Just not sure what the "rules" are and driving something someone would "want" as I never drove before.
Rules? Oh that's easy. You can go down there, you just can't stay there. However, they can come up here, and stay here. Oh did I mention no paperwork needed.

First, there's Jeep....
...Then there are the rest.
Oh and....
Rupedog For President

'87 XJ :: Revolver Lift Shackles :: 4.10's :: 4.5-5" lift :: 31" KM2's :: Flowmaster Super 44 :: Stock Stubby Bumper :: Fox 2.0 Remote Res.

'94 Ram 2500 :: 6" lift :: 4.10's :: 35" Duratrac's
post #6 of 10 Old 10-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Wheeler

don't forget...

even if you have all you documentation...you can still spend HOURS at theborder trying to get back...

Earlier this week we were down in Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) and it took us almost 2 hours to get back across the border. Not driving time - wait in line time at the border itself!!

Anyway we had to go back for a family emergency but came back again...

Today we decided that it wasn't worth trying to go back early so we checked the border wait times on line and they stated almost a 4 hour delay at the border crossing alone.

We'll head back tomorrow instead!!
post #7 of 10 Old 10-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Wheeler

There's a group from Expeditionportal.com (specifically a group from Texas on the board) who are planning a trip to Mexico in mid-November. You can read a little about it here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...?t=7684&page=9

I know the guy who is organizing it has had experience in Mexico so he may be a good resource to talk to.

JPFreek Adventure Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZToad View Post
even if you have all you documentation...you can still spend HOURS at theborder trying to get back...

Earlier this week we were down in Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) and it took us almost 2 hours to get back across the border. Not driving time - wait in line time at the border itself!!

Anyway we had to go back for a family emergency but came back again...

Today we decided that it wasn't worth trying to go back early so we checked the border wait times on line and they stated almost a 4 hour delay at the border crossing alone.

We'll head back tomorrow instead!!
Of cousre it takes so long. They have to scan them all into the computer, and replace the name with Juan Lopez.

I'm sorry I'll stop. I just can't help myself.

First, there's Jeep....
...Then there are the rest.
Oh and....
Rupedog For President

'87 XJ :: Revolver Lift Shackles :: 4.10's :: 4.5-5" lift :: 31" KM2's :: Flowmaster Super 44 :: Stock Stubby Bumper :: Fox 2.0 Remote Res.

'94 Ram 2500 :: 6" lift :: 4.10's :: 35" Duratrac's
post #9 of 10 Old 10-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Rock God

Mexico

We also have made the rocky point trip several times and have never had a problem. It is a great place with wonderful people and whole lot of fun to be had. I have not been down in the JK but would like to go, just have not had time. I donít know about rules (if they have any) about driving off road.

And for those of you that donít know about rocky point here is a picture of the beach at sunset and my daughters playing. You should go.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #10 of 10 Old 06-06-2008, 04:41 AM

Mx / Baja

Brother we go probably 8-10 times a year, in eiter my westfalia, volvo, bike or now my new JK.

Currently you will need your DL and a birthcertificate, but I think by Jan09 you will need your passport. You can get one in one day in DC / LA and probably other huge passport offices.

To travel in Baja below Guerro Negro (GN) you will need a tourist pass. It is not always required (read...checked) but not having one will get you into trouble.

Just stop at the auto declaration office just inside the border in San Diego, or follow the right lane into Tuijuanna (stay right) to the immigrations office if you miss it.

Then get on Hwy1 or the toll road south...............

You can run the Baja course, head to Mikes Sky ranch, watch the whales, run the dunes, etc.

Get a Baja camping book for a list of campsites as well as a list of ORV paths.

You can camp on the beach all the way down, or cross to the sea of cortez and hit Bahia de Los Angeles or Bahia de Conception for a great water weekend.

We can make a 10 day trip to La Paz and have time for snorkling, kayaking, treking and wheeling without being pressed for time.

Make sure you get Mx Insurance either at the border or on line. Check out Vagabundos.com or just google Mexican Auto Insurance.

Fuel is limited crossing from the Pacific to Cortex but there are civilian fuel guys w/50gal drums along the way at times, just keep topped off once you head across. Pemex is avail everywhere after that.

San Felipe is wonderful w/some great beach driving, claming, etc and the drive south through Puertocitos is only for 4wd, although teeth rattling........

Suggestion....just pack the rig and go...............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode