JKOwners Forum banner

Concealing gun in JK

21K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  RobertJK 
#1 ·
I have a CCP and want to know about places if any of you have them, that you hide your gun while driving? Armrest? Glovebox? Both aformentioned places are not ideal in the situation that you might find yourself in should a menace appear. Trying to open the center console is a pain with one hand let alone two and grabbing my gun. I tried it as a test and it's not good. The glove box was better but you have to reach way over. I want to be able to grab my gun quickly just in case someone suddenly appears. Now, I have a belt holster for conceal but it's not ideal while driving unless I got a shoulder holster which I could do. I was thinking of a holster I could affix to a spot say under the seat, dash, etc while driving and then I could grab it when I get out and put it into my other one I carry. Anyone have some thoughts?

#2 ·
Sub'd for ideas.

I think there was a company that makes a piece that goes around shifter that you can attach holster too. Springtail, Springfield, something like that. Mine stays in the console, not exactly handy if a situation arises like you said

Vandy

#7 ·
Why does this come up once every month or so?

Here is a novil idea.... Wait for it... Wait for it...

Keep it on your person like the permit allows. You'll always have access to it. You'll never not have it when you need it. You won't forget it in the vehicle so it can get stolen. You won't be another jackwagon who thinks its cool to have a gun but not actually protect it.

#16 ·
A jackwagon I am not. I am an active duty soldier in the Army with 4 deployments and plenty of experience with weapons of all kinds. Now, the tuffy box idea is already implemented in places where I need it locked up. Check. I wore a 9mm in combat along with my M4 when patrolling. I can say from personal EXPERIENCE that anyone who comes along and says the standard "best place is on you" remark, probably never had to use it in a real situation. In our HWMMV's we had a holster bolted inside where we would have it to grab in case the SHTF. When it is on us, as mine was, which was attached to the front of my armor, its easy to grab. We don't carry it like that in the civilian world. It is either down by your hips, or on a shoulder holster. Is it easy to grab from either of those while standing? Sure. Sitting is an entirely different scenario. We must take into consideration the seat belt which almost ALWAYS interferes with a hip holster, much less one concealed. That said, I'm not trying to conceal it entirely, but in an out of the way spot that isn't easily seen. I like the configuration of Jester's pic but I think that on a JK, we don't have as much under dash space that I can recall but I like the way that looks. Thanks Jester, that gives me some idea on what I may want to do. I also like Venom's example too. More military, like myself. Like-minded we are. Thanks for everyone's input.

#10 ·
Maybe you can contribute to this thread and suggest a comfortable holster to use while sitting in a Jeep then. He said he is not opposed to a shoulder holster he was just looking for other ideas. Your points are valid but you are coming across like a prick making assumptions.

#11 ·
I'm not making assumptions. Assumptions are stating someone is a prick.

I was being sarcastic, as this comes up all the time, which I also stated. I will jump on the assumption bandwagon though and say you sir, are a jackass because you run around this site trying to be a badass. Newsflash, nobody is impressed.

Regarding holsters, it's a highly personal thing. I've used countless different types. The type of clothing one wears and the weapon carried can affect the holster as well. Personally, I'm not a big fan of shoulder holsters. I just don't like them as I don't find them comfortable and unless something is worn over them they aren't exactly concealed. I almost always carry inside the waistband on my strong side. It's very comfortable for me, and I have the muscle memory to reach for that location, and to protect that location in an altercation, as I carry a weapon everyday for my job as well. Many people want a very secure holster as it makes them feel safer (lots believe the gun is a dangerous bomb waiting to go off in their pants) but I prefer minimal. My current favorite way to carry is a VersaCarry. It's a very simple device that doesn't add any bulk. I carry a Glock 27 as it's a very flat weapon with nothing protruding from it sticking me in the side and it's reliable enough to fire even though lint is a constant enemy of concealed weapons. It works for me. Even with a buckled seatbelt, I can easily access it.

#12 ·
I always thought a left handed holster mounted to the trans tunnel would be useful. There is a good bolt there. Though it's going to have to be simple holster, no releases, so you can access and draw right handed.

#14 ·
I'm inclined to agree with oz.
On your body is where it belongs. In the jeep is more about secure storage when going places you aren't allowed to carry.

But, I thought it would be handy to have a holster in the jeep, so I mounted one to the passenger side of the trans tunnel of the tuffy full console, didn't want to lose the leg room on my side since my leg is usually leaned against it on my side.
I think I've used it once, maybe twice.
On the other hand, I've cussed it quite a few times as it gets in the way of sliding the pax seat all the way forward to get to the plug when removing the rear door.
When I carried a glock with a clip draw, I found it was perfect for clipping into the molle mounts on the cover on the center section of my rock hard cage.
Now it's usually in a comp tac Minotaur iwb holster on my right hip.
But then again I'm not too worried about access while driving- I'm not doing drive-bys, and I'm pretty confident that on the extremely rare possibility of an attempted car jacking that my situational awareness is good enough that I'd spot a goblin acting goofy far enough in advance to draw whatever weapon was around or churn him under the 37"s.

Here's the clipdraw/molle gig.

#15 ·
I've taken a force on force training class where this exact thing was discussed & trained on. I've been carjacked & held up while in my car (in this class) a few times. In the process, I've been shot several times (thankfully with airsoft).

1) Your best weapon when in your car is....your car. Hit the gas & get the flock outta there, even (especially?) if it means running the BG over. Red lights be damned.

2) No matter where you keep it, you can never out-draw a drawn weapon. You'll get 2-3 shots into you before you get one off...if you get one off. So stay in Col. Cooper's Condition Yellow at all times, even when in your car & especially after dark.

3) The best place (i.e. fastest draw) to access a weapon while seated is appendix carry.

YMMV

#17 ·
Everyone is different and nothing will work for everyone. However, in the civilian world, on your person is where it belongs. In the jeep is a nice idea, but its a pain in the ass constantly moving the weapon back and forth between the vehicle mount and your holster on your body. It opens yourself up to a greater possibility of an accident too. Then lets say you pull the "I'm only going to be a minute" thing and leave the gun and it then gets stolen.

I never tried to imply you were a jackwagon. I only stated it because it's very common for people to want to have a gun because it makes them feel like a badass but they treat the gun like nothing more than a cell phone in their vehicle. It deserves more respect than that, as you know.

Regarding your experience and stating on your body is not a good place, I'll politely disagree. You may need to find a good location that works but it's the safest place as it'll always be with you. This is from my experience 12 years as a police officer. Everyday I carry a weapon on my belt. Off duty I carry the same place on my hip, but inside the waistband. It's still very easy to get to. I can get to the weapon in everything from full tac gear with a seat belt on in a tight Impala to no doors in jeans and a t-shirt in my Jeep. Granted, it may not be as easy as a chest holster or some other options, but we aren't at war here which needs to be considered. It's being carried in a self defense capacity and until it's needed it needs to be concealed so Joe Blow badguy doesn't know he is about to eat lead.

#20 ·
Im going to be "THAT GUY" just because I feel like it.:thefinger:

Please check your Local Laws before making a pistol "easy access" to grab just in case something happens fast. I going to go out on a limb here and say you have no training just from your post.
"I want to grab my gun quickly in case someone suddenly appears" well you have already fallen behind the 8 ball if someone suddenly appears by not being situationally aware. second here in florida you either have to have your ccw on your person or it has to be in a case holster or what have you out of drivers reach. Dont become another george zimmerman poster boy for the anti's.
Once a year Jim Clark here in florida hosts a class on how to fight from your vehicle. I suggest taking this training or similar in your area of operation. I personally train in my Jeep with a "blue Gun" on draw techniques etc. because if you dont practice it you wont survive the fight. you also have other problems occur from fighting inside a vehicle. Take the course and have the ah-ha moments like most others have. On the Job Training is not how you win a fight for your life. You have to know how to draw shoot/dont shoot/de ass an area etc. and you have to have to worry about deflection/other bystanders/ other drivers/ remember the rules of gun safety etc. draw your pistol shoot at MZB (Mutant Zombie Biker, for those who dont know the term) then unintentionally shoot a 10 year old riding her bike down the street when you miss said MZB because you were not aware of your backstop and what was beyond it.
Yeah all the wizz bang gizmos are cool and you can show out in front of your buddies or online etc. but if you get pulled over the trooper sees the wizz bang gizmo and cuffs and stuffs you dont be all WTF... I might not agree with the rules but I follow them because I like to keep my freedom and ability to own firearms and try to win a gun fight the best way possible... by not getting into one and being the best witness I can be.
:shitstorm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.