Preventing Stolen Targets - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Preventing Stolen Targets

At a local outdoor club they recently hung up a donated AR500 steel target. Just a small, round target. It was stolen within 24 hrs.

I am donating a new one, and they have a smaller one they haven't hung up yet. I am going to weld the hardware together for them so it will at least take a bolt cutter or something (rather than just a pliers).

Any other ideas to prevent them from being stolen? It would be nice if t could still hang/swing. I realise people can get almost anything if they are determined, but hopefully they won't bother if it's difficult.

Side note: What is wrong with people?! Instead of just coming to the club and shooting the target that people donated and hung up for you, you take it so only you can use it?! I don't understand that mentality of just stealing anything you feel like, as long as you can get away with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 07:05 AM
Wheeler

maybe hang it with hardened chain (tire chain cross links, motorcycle chain, ect) bolted to the plate and then tack the nut to the bolt?

'09 JK, Dynatrac ProRock 44, 5.38s, ARBs, NV 241OR transfer case, Yukon 1310/1350 driveshafts, JK8 brakes, Hydroboost booster, Evo sway bar disconnect, ect...
post #3 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 09:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Whatever you hang it up with, just make sure it's a bigger diameter that your standard 36" bolt cutter jaws can open to. And then I guess hope the thief's don't have a hacksaw.

Or wait till the scumbags show up and use them as the target.
redneck ron likes this.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Rock God

Size 7, grade 100 or better round link chain would probably work well, pretty resistant to most bolt cutters and hardened enough to resist a hacksaw. Square link chain is even better for resisting bolt cutters, runs about $8 a foot compared to about $6 a foot for grade 100 round link in size 7. An angle grinder with a cut off wheel will still get through just about any chain though.

I gotta be me cause everyone else was already taken.
post #5 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 02:21 PM
Rock God

This might help...
Attached Images

Fatbob Frank likes this.
post #6 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 03:45 PM
you can go piss up a rope

Just put the thing away when not in use.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
Just put the thing away when not in use.
That may be the result if the next one goes away too, but the club would like to be able to leave something out there for the members to use. For the most part it has been sort of a "bring your own targets" type of situation. They just thought it would be nice to have at least something hanging out there for people.

I thought about the surveillance sign. Might be an option, but a quick look around would probably tell people that it was only a sign.

I figured a strong chain would be what I go with (if I could find it locally easily enough), then just tack weld the hardware. I realize a cordless grinder will get through just about anything practical to use (I pretty much planned to use a grinder when the chain/hardware needs replaced down the road since I'm going to weld the hardware together). I figure all I can realistically do is make it a little more difficult to get and hope that's enough to dissuade any opportunists looking for an easy swipe.

Thanks for the responses.

Last edited by BigTB; 10-22-2017 at 05:34 PM.
post #8 of 26 Old 10-23-2017, 05:43 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

How about putting a piece of steel pipe over the chain as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #9 of 26 Old 10-23-2017, 09:57 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Doesn’t have to be chain to swing. Bar stock of your choice of thickness and MOC could be welded to round stock shaft supported by bearings. An inexpensive trail cam wouldn’t hurt. Sounds like an inside job to me TB. Mums the word a camouflaged inconspicuous trail cam. The ones I have are Browning Dark Ops. Good for up to 70 feet. Many options built in. $145. I fucking hate thieves.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 10-23-2017 at 10:53 AM.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-23-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Doesn’t have to be chain to swing. Bar stock of your choice of thickness and MOC could be welded to round stock shaft supported by bearings. An inexpensive trail cam wouldn’t hurt. Sounds like an inside job to me TB. Mums the word a camouflaged inconspicuous trail cam. The ones I have are Browning Dark Ops. Good for up to 70 feet. Many options built in. $145. I fucking hate thieves.
Yeah, a trail cam isn't a bad idea. I might be able to put one up when nobody is around. As far as being an inside job, yeah I wouldn't doubt it was a member. The club is inexpensive to join, and members have access to the range at all hours. Technically only supposed to shoot during daylight hours, but nothing stopping a member from opening up the gate in the middle of the night.

I thought about bar stock as well. I could make something easily enough, but I just have to ask how much leeway I have in modifying their frame, or building one myself.

Last edited by BigTB; 10-23-2017 at 12:55 PM.
post #11 of 26 Old 10-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
Yeah, a trail cam isn't a bad idea. I might be able to put one up when nobody is around. As far as being an inside job, yeah I wouldn't doubt it was a member. The club is inexpensive to join, and members have access to the range at all hours. Technically only supposed to shoot during daylight hours, but nothing stopping a member from opening up the gate in the middle of the night.

I thought about bar stock as well. I could make something easily enough, but I just have to ask how much leeway I have in modifying their frame, or building one myself.
Depending on how high you want your target you could buy X feet of drill pipe and cement in a couple of feet then slide the round stock in the pillow blocks and weld them to top of pipe. Rube Goldberg would be proud.

Quote:
post #12 of 26 Old 10-23-2017, 05:24 PM

color it like a with PERMANENT marker
chain it to an angry or hungry badger
forge Jane Fonda's signature in pink glitter toenail polish
wrap it in baked kale and common core math assignments
dip it in peanut butter and thumbtacks
hire a Las Vegas security guard (too soon?)
hide it in a pair of workboots
Tspevacek and sschefer1 like this.

Last edited by snout; 10-23-2017 at 05:29 PM.
post #13 of 26 Old 10-23-2017, 07:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
color it like a with PERMANENT marker
chain it to an angry or hungry badger
forge Jane Fonda's signature in pink glitter toenail polish
wrap it in baked kale and common core math assignments
dip it in peanut butter and thumbtacks
hire a Las Vegas security guard (too soon?)
hide it in a pair of workboots
I see you like libs about as much as I do...........
post #14 of 26 Old 10-23-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspevacek View Post
I see you like libs about as much as I do...........
Hey I like Jane Fonda workout videos.
post #15 of 26 Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 PM
Granite Guru

Wire a solar powered electric fencer to it when you leave.
(be sure to have a trail cam set up to see the results)

"Wake me for the Revolution..."
post #16 of 26 Old 10-24-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Hey I like Jane Fonda workout videos.
Only if she is getting it in the ass by a angry badger.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #17 of 26 Old 10-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Granite Guru

run 220 thru it

my old FFL worked out of his house and some neighborhood tweakers kept trying to grab the handle on his tilt up garage door to get inside (even though he kept it locked). so he ran 220 through the handle. needless to say, that was the last time they tried to open his garage.

Last edited by boopiejones; 10-24-2017 at 10:13 AM.
post #18 of 26 Old 10-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
run 220 thru it

my old FFL worked out of his house and some neighborhood tweakers kept trying to grab the handle on his tilt up garage door to get inside (even though he kept it locked). so he ran 220 through the handle. needless to say, that was the last time they tried to open his garage.
And he gets out of prison when?

Quote:
post #19 of 26 Old 10-24-2017, 02:24 PM
Rock God

Lie in wait , apply lead poison liberally in 5.56 doses .
That is the cure that Dr. Camo says will work every time this affliction occurs .
post #20 of 26 Old 11-08-2017, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

LOL, some good suggestions here. Not unexpected (and not all previously unconsidered).

As it is, I built a new frame (the existing ones at the club were in bad shape) and set it in ground so it's not easy to take the whole frame (it is also one piece and I had to take it to the range in my trailer, so taking it would be a chore even if it was just sitting there).

I used grade 100 chain to hang the target. I used 1/2" carriage bolts and welded the nuts to the bolts. There is nothing to grip with a wrench/vice grips from the front, so twisting the bolts off wouldn't be easy (the square part of the carriage bolt is in a round hole, so it spins when you turn the welded nut). Only way to get the target is to cut the chain or bolts. Not that difficult really (cordless tools are prolific these days), but at least it would take a concerted, deliberate effort. Hopefully nobody will take the trouble for a $35 piece of AR500 steel.

Last edited by BigTB; 11-08-2017 at 07:11 AM.
post #21 of 26 Old 11-08-2017, 08:13 AM

never underestimate the determination of a thief.

Quote:
Quote:
post #22 of 26 Old 11-08-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
never underestimate the determination of a thief.
I have experienced that all too well. There is only so much you can do, and with enough determination a thief can get almost anything (barring implementation of impractical and/or financially nonviable security measures).

However, I have also learned not to underestimate the stupidity of thieves.

Much of the equipment I work on at my job is outside, and most of the access doors are lockable (though on most of the smaller equipment it's not exactly Fort Knox). The equipment is sometimes behind locked fences, but much of it is not. On day I arrived at a site and found evidence that someone spend a good amount of time trying to break in (what they were hoping to find I don't know, but assume it was anything they could sell for a couple bucks or trade for drugs). They started by prying at the door handles, breaking the latch, door handle, and bending the crap out of the jam around the door latch. All the while, if they'd pried further from the door latch the door would likely have flexed enough to get the prybar somewhere more effective. Not to mention that the door latch itself is held on with four phillips-head screws. And the door hinges are plastic, plus they are only held on with only three phillips head screws each. The equipment has four doors and the moron had broken three of the four door handles prying on them, and bent all four jams, right at the latches. In other words, they pried in the sturdiest place (in fact, the only sturdy place) on each of the four doors in turn, without ever trying anything else (and virtually any other tactic would have gotten the doors open in no time). As it was, they apparently gave up. They didn't get in.

Last edited by BigTB; 11-08-2017 at 08:51 AM.
post #23 of 26 Old 11-08-2017, 01:43 PM

This is why I give all of my tools a good old fashioned tea-bagging, that way if someone does steal them, the joke is on them.
BigTB likes this.

Last edited by snout; 11-08-2017 at 01:52 PM.
post #24 of 26 Old 12-28-2017, 09:32 PM
Rock God

What size target was it? I have a couple of 6" AR500 gongs and they were $14 on amazon. Makes you wonder why they even bothered to steal them.

Billet 2013 2 door
Dana 60 front, 14 Bolt rear, ARB's, 5.38's, 40" sticky Trepadors, 3 link front and rear, 14" Sway-a-Way coilovers, Tom Woods 1310 front, Adams 1350 rear, PSC Hydro assist
post #25 of 26 Old 12-29-2017, 09:54 AM
Wheeler

I hear your frustration with disrespectful people. I does sound like it's a member so I would think the trail cam at the gate would be your best deterrent if you can figure out how to keep them from stealing that.

I live on Nevada's Open Range and we have a primitive range. People trash it badly and as hard as we try to keep up with the clean up it often seems futile. I haul targets out and back every time I go and pickup at least a couple of bags of garbage that I take to the transfer station once a month. At least two of my neighbors do the same.

What really pisses me off is that people don't get it that this is a privilege and not a right and can go away in a heartbeat if we don't show respect.

Sorry, felt like I needed to get that off my chest.

If it aint broke your not 4 wheeling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode