6.5 Grendel - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-02-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

6.5 Grendel

Hello, is anyone hunting with an AR platform rifle, using the 6.5 Grendel cartridge? Im interested in medium sized game. I'm looking at free float barrels 18 - 24 inches. 24 inches seems long to me in an AR platform, though I have no experience with a barrel of that length. Also would like to know what type of ammo you hunters are using? Weight and brand. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-03-2016, 08:01 AM
Rock God

Gun broker, buds gun shop, and a whole host of other sights can give you the feedback you need. I've personally never fired the round but I have two close friends that have the Ruger precision rifle. It's bolt action and AR platform. That's the extent of my experience, sorry.

"Government is not the solution, it is the problem."
"We are never defeated unless we give up on GOD."
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan
Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Wheeler

MAC7 you are thinking of the 6.5 Creedmoore (which is one of the calibers the ruger is in), but I can see how the two get easily confused. I've dabbled with the 6.5. As far as barrel length just keep in mind length=velocity so the longer the barrel the faster the round, to an extent. At some point length hinders the round but that's getting a little too far into it. 24 is the very longest I'd go with a grendel. 18 is sufficient, 20 is ideal for a compromise of length and usability. Bullet weight is usually kept around 120-130 ish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA762 View Post
MAC7 you are thinking of the 6.5 Creedmoore (which is one of the calibers the ruger is in), but I can see how the two get easily confused. I've dabbled with the 6.5. As far as barrel length just keep in mind length=velocity so the longer the barrel the faster the round, to an extent. At some point length hinders the round but that's getting a little too far into it. 24 is the very longest I'd go with a grendel. 18 is sufficient, 20 is ideal for a compromise of length and usability. Bullet weight is usually kept around 120-130 ish.

Your right, see I told you I had no actual experience!

"Government is not the solution, it is the problem."
"We are never defeated unless we give up on GOD."
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan
Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC7 View Post
Your right, see I told you I had no actual experience!
Haha no worries. With all these new specialty rounds popping up now days it's hard to keep track unless it's your job to.

post #6 of 7 Old 11-04-2016, 05:11 PM
Granite Guru

The 6.5 Grendel is a great round. I have one and love it both for target and game. It is not the same as a Creedmore
post #7 of 7 Old 11-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Granite Guru

Welcome to the 6.5 Grendel Forum : : The World's Tier One AR Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Subsection 2. - Are you a fucking retard? Get the fuck off JKO and tell her you want to hold her like a bowling ball while she gobbles your Wife's kitty like a hungry Asian. Jesus, since when did Men need advice for shit like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode