Question for those with NFA trusts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-17-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Question for those with NFA trusts

I see lots of sites online that quote prices as low as $80 to set up an NFA trust. Silencerco sells Easytrust on their website for $129, and then I also see a local Law firm that does quite a bit of business setting up NFA trusts and quotes a price of "only" $500 + tax.

I'm looking to set up my own NFA trust very soon and I'm wondering is it best to go with the law firm charging $500+ or is it just as good to use some online DIY deal for much less.

I want a solid, well set-up trust but I also don't want to spend more than what is really necessary to do so. Any advise, tips or such that you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

I gotta be me cause everyone else was already taken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to D5Fire

My trust was done by Steve Shaw, a lawyer who literally wrote the book on firearms trusts and legalities in SC. His typical price is about $300, but I havent kept up with his prices since I got mine. I saw the whole interwebz route from a few different sites and while the price is tempting I wanted the piece of mind that comes from going with a guy who has never had one rejected by BATFE. I think he only covers Florida and SC but there has to be similar resources in every state.

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest

Poison Spyder BFH w/ trail stinger, custom rear BFH, crusher flares, rocker knockers, evap skid, hood louver. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, Teraflex rear tire carrier, River Raider cowl snorkel,Warn VR 10,000 lbs winch, sPod, Rigid 50"SR.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-20-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

DSFire thanks for your input. I ended up going with the local guy and got everything setup today. It may have cost more, but in the end I feel better with somebody that I can easily get back to with questions as they may arise and the laws change. He was very good at explaining things and answering questions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-21-2016, 09:44 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to D5Fire

Its nice being able to just pick up the phone to make a change or adjustment to the trust.

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest

Poison Spyder BFH w/ trail stinger, custom rear BFH, crusher flares, rocker knockers, evap skid, hood louver. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, Teraflex rear tire carrier, River Raider cowl snorkel,Warn VR 10,000 lbs winch, sPod, Rigid 50"SR.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-29-2016, 08:49 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I use the one from SilencerCo. I have 2 form 1 SBRs and 2 form 4 cans without any issues so far.

Ron
post #6 of 9 Old 04-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Rock God

It's better to have an attorney draft for change ability. I used Trent woods in Arizona. Also with 41p? Going active in a couple months, trusts lose some of the benefits we enjoyed for so long. Once it goes into effect anyone named on your trust has to submit cards for a purchase. Look into the details before committing.

2010 JK Rubicon- meh 2dr sold
2012 JKU Rubicon- bored sold
2015 JKU Rubicon- 3rd times a charm?
post #7 of 9 Old 04-14-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Umm yeah... I already got the trust set up about 2 months ago. The lawyer who set it up for me also sent me a letter detailing all of the changes that are so far known to be going into effect per Executive order 41F come July 13, 2016. Yes, some things that the trusts made easier will be going away, but there are still several good reasons for having a trust as opposed to going the individual route.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-15-2016, 02:18 PM
Granite Guru

http://www.t-plaw.com/nfa-trusts.html
Mark is a great guy!

ºlllllllº '15 JKU
post #9 of 9 Old 09-16-2016, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I received my first approval on Tuesday of this week. I e-filed. The email notification had a .PDF of the paperwork and the tax stamp. There was a large watermark saying DRAFT on each page of the PDF. I'm thinking that the actual paperwork and stamp should arrive by regular mail however. Am I correct? Here it's Friday and I still haven't received anything of the sort by regular mail.

I'm not expecting the approval on my second form until December or even April, and the dealer will be the one notifying me on that one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode