Sell or Not? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-02-2016, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Sell or Not?

I can't make up my mind. That's nothing new, I have a horrible time making decisions. You may have read my thread about the Kahr CW380 issues. Kahr has fixed both the issues, and so far the gun is now running ok. Still not perfect, but malfunctions have dropped quote a bit in the last 100 rounds or so. Still, the occasional hang-ups happen.

So, should I sell it? I'm torn because I do like the gun. It's truely pocketable, soft shooting, the trigger is nice and it's good looking. So why sell? I can't fully put my finger on the reasons, but it's not that satisfying of a range gun. It may partly be how much effort it takes on my part to make it shoot well (and "well" isn't very well at all in comparison to other guns I shoot). Also, when carrying it there is just enough of a twinge of doubt in the back of my mind about reliability that I'm just a tiny bit uncomfortable.

So, on the one hand I want to stick it out, practice and see if reliability approaches 100%. On the other hand, I'm tempted to just sell it and move on.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Granite Guru

I'm of the mind you never get rid of a gun. However, you have to be 100% confident your carry gun will go boom any time you pull the trigger. My vote is to get another carry gun and keep this one for range time.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-11-2016, 07:45 PM
JKO Addict!

If I have any doubt in a firearm it's got to go.

If it's giving you trouble at the range imagine having one hand pushing back an attacker while the other one is holding a gun that's malfunctioned.

No. I'd drop it as fast as you can.

And I'm of the opinion you always sell a gun if it doesn't fit a purpose. (Aside from collector guns and heirlooms obviously)

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-12-2016, 02:23 AM
Granite Guru

^^^^^^ Same here.

"Wake me for the Revolution..."
post #5 of 10 Old 02-12-2016, 08:50 AM
Granite Guru

i'd get rid of it. no point having a gun that doesn't fire reliably 100% of the time. especially a small, self defense type gun.

what kind of failures are you having? i assume you've tried a bunch of different kinds of ammo and none of them are reliable in this particular gun?

is kahr willing to buy the gun back or give you a new one? that would be my preference, vs. selling a poorly working gun to someone else. i would feel the need to disclose the issues to any potential buyer, which means the sale price would be very minimal.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-12-2016, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
i'd get rid of it. no point having a gun that doesn't fire reliably 100% of the time. especially a small, self defense type gun.

what kind of failures are you having? i assume you've tried a bunch of different kinds of ammo and none of them are reliable in this particular gun?

is kahr willing to buy the gun back or give you a new one? that would be my preference, vs. selling a poorly working gun to someone else. i would feel the need to disclose the issues to any potential buyer, which means the sale price would be very minimal.
Yeah, I wouldn't sell a problem to someone without giving a heads-up.

During break-in I had issues with virtually all types of ammo, and it didn't initially seem better or worse with anything particular. However, at this point the only problem I seem to have is occasional stovepipes. I suppose it could be me limp-wristing the gun, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Now that it is past break-in, one type of ammo has definitely proven worse than others; Remington Ultimate Defense. It seems to stovepipe once every 5-10 shots or so. I haven't shot any Hornady HP stuff since the replacement stop pin, so I should probably try another box of that next time. The last time at the range the very first shot stovepiped, and it was the last round I had of the Remmington stuff. I then shot a mag of Barnes TAC-XPD, then most of a box of FMJ, and it didn't stovepipe again after that first shot. So it has gotten much better. I just don't have a complete confidence in it yet. At this point, if it went a couple hundred rounds of FMJ and a couple boxes of HP (other than the known problem round) without stoppage or breakage, I would feel more comfortable.

The ammo that has so far never malfunctioned once is Barnes TAC-XPD. Ironically, I've read online that this round troublesome in Kahr .380s because of the low bullet weight. It is expensive, and I've only fired about a box and a half of the stuff.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-13-2016, 05:58 PM
Granite Guru

i have only had one handgun with similar issues - a s&w m&p9 - and it turned out to be 100% related to the barrel. i had replaced the stock barrel with an aftermarket one (because it was ported and looked cooler, stupid me). all was fine for the first couple hundred rounds. then a friend borrowed the gun and he was clearly limp wristing it and getting stovepipes. after that, i started getting stovepipes too, and it kept getting worse and worse. i pulled the barrel and the throat was all out of round and the feed ramp looked pretty messed up too. very strange, especially for a high quality and rather expensive aftermarket barrel.

i put the stock barrel back in and have shot about 500 rounds since without a single problem.

i recently returned the aftermarket barrel back to the manufacturer (storm lake), but they haven't gotten back to me with a resolution yet.

long story short, have you tried pulling the barrel to see if it looks strange? maybe take it into a gun store and see if they will let you compare it to a barrel on an unfired kahr?
post #8 of 10 Old 02-14-2016, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
i have only had one handgun with similar issues - a s&w m&p9 - and it turned out to be 100% related to the barrel. i had replaced the stock barrel with an aftermarket one (because it was ported and looked cooler, stupid me). all was fine for the first couple hundred rounds. then a friend borrowed the gun and he was clearly limp wristing it and getting stovepipes. after that, i started getting stovepipes too, and it kept getting worse and worse. i pulled the barrel and the throat was all out of round and the feed ramp looked pretty messed up too. very strange, especially for a high quality and rather expensive aftermarket barrel.

i put the stock barrel back in and have shot about 500 rounds since without a single problem.

i recently returned the aftermarket barrel back to the manufacturer (storm lake), but they haven't gotten back to me with a resolution yet.

long story short, have you tried pulling the barrel to see if it looks strange? maybe take it into a gun store and see if they will let you compare it to a barrel on an unfired kahr?
It is actually on the second barrel, Kahr replaced the first one due to machining issues. I inspected it at the last cleaning (I clean it after each range trip) and didn't see anything obviously wrong.

Whether it is just from break in, or an actual difference in the barrels, on the first outing ever with the gun (original barrel), there where stovepipes, but also failure to go fully into battery stoppages as well. I occasionally had to give the slide a tap to fully seat the round. As far as I recall, that hasn't happened with the replacement barrel.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Rock God

If you really like the gun, enough to want to keep it, how 'bout a little gunsmithin' to smooth things out?

Break-in is for more than just barrels. It could take a couple hundred rounds, or you can get in there and polish up the wear-marked areas to accelerate the results.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-14-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
If you really like the gun, enough to want to keep it, how 'bout a little gunsmithin' to smooth things out?

Break-in is for more than just barrels. It could take a couple hundred rounds, or you can get in there and polish up the wear-marked areas to accelerate the results.
Yeah, i would think break in probably has least to do with the barrel on a pistol. I was just talking about break-in in general. On this particular pistol there are a couple spots on the frame that the slide rides on, so I'd probably start there if I was going to try anything myself.

I do like a lot about the gun, but for whatever reason, I'm finding it hard to get motivated to buy another $100+ ammo to test reliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode