Shot A Glock - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 05-21-2015, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Shot A Glock

My wife and I had our 24th anniversary recently at my cousin's shooting range.
We invited many friends and family to come up and shoot with us and grill out and generally have a good time.
After we had done some shooting we were sitting around eating brats and burgers talking about guns and hunting and such.
I mentioned wanting to get a 10MM 1911 to take deer hunting.
A friend of my brother-in-law's( decent guy really) who was there shooting his Glock immediatly did that thing all Glock fanboys do( you know you do!) and said I'd be better off with a Glock G20.
Now, all my friends know my feelings about Glocks and they sorta rolled their eyes and waited for my anti-Glock tirade.
I think I suprised them when I simply let him ramble on about Glock's superior design,reliablity and "Glock Perfection" in general.
After he wound down I related to him my rather dissapointing experience with my brother's G22 40s&w.
I thought the trigger sucked, it wasn't very accuate, fit my hand funny ,and it had several stove-pipes.
He asked how long ago this was and I told him about 1994 or so.
"Probably a Gen1" he replied"you should really try my Gen 3 G17. Much nicer."
I refrained from asking him "If Glock's were designed so well why did they need a Gen2 let alone 3?"
(I think they're up to 4 now)
So, I found myself back at the line with a Glock in my hand.(felt like I needed a shower)
First thing I noticed was the grip felt pretty good,better than I remembered.
I told him so.
" Yeah," he said proudly " I did the stippling myself."
He did a good job. Looked factory to me.
Shooting was even more of a suprise.Trigger felt good. Much lighter.
"Nice trigger." I begrudgingly said.
"Thanks,there's a gunshop down the street from my house that speacializes in Glocks.They did a trigger job on it for me."
"Oh." was my only reply.
"More accurate that I rember too." I told him, " and I like the sights.."
"Yeah," he replied" I had them installed when they did the trigger job"
"Didn't like the factory sights?" I asked
"Well, these are better," he admitted" plus they hit to the point of aim of the new barrel."
"New barrel?" I looked on top of the chamber and sure enough Lone Wolf in bold print.
After I finished shooting I handed it back to him.
"So, think you'll get a 10mm Glock?" he asked me.
"Nope" I replied "can't afford one."
"But they're cheap!" he protested" I only paid $550 for mine."
"How much you pay the gunshop?" I asked.
"Over $400" he said( his tone made me think it was probably closer to $500)
" I can buy a Rock Island Armory 10mm for $600" I replied " and it's ready for hunting as is."
" But thanks," I told him"you just saved me about $550 worth of trial and error."

"Wake me for the Revolution..."

Last edited by Fatbob Frank; 11-05-2015 at 03:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-21-2015, 05:26 AM
Wheeler

A Glock is very much like a Jeep, you can't help but sink money into them with mods and upgrades!

Paul...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 JK Sport
post #3 of 28 Old 05-21-2015, 05:46 AM
Rock God

if you ever get a change try a gen4 G34 or G35. box stock they shoot well. I am a crappy shot and my G34 makes look adequate. Not a fan boy of any particular brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 05-21-2015, 07:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Not a Glock fanboy...I guess just by typing that it means I am.

Never have had a stovepipe on my G20. Not sure what Gen it is, maybe a 3. Or my G19.

I have had more than one in the newer .380's, I think its the G42. Not sure why but I have. Was using good ammo too. Not pleased with the G42. Lot's of other pocket size .380's that are better IMO

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old 05-21-2015, 08:41 AM
Granite Guru

I have had many handguns of different manufacturers. Currently I have a gen4 G23 for Concealed carry. My wife has the Smith M&P 40 compact for hers. I have shit both of them and out hundreds if not thousands of rounds through them. While I like the way her M&P feels.... I'm dead accurate with the Glock.

I didn't really care for them years ago. Never really felt good in my hand just pointing it. The 3 HK's were my favorites next to my Kimber and Sig. I guess my tastes have changed a bit with the Gen 4 design.
post #6 of 28 Old 05-21-2015, 08:43 AM
JKO Addict!

HAHAHA... Now that is a funny story! Love how the guy brags about how good they are, and then tells of all the parts he replaced to make it better. If it was so damn good from the start, there would be no reason for all the additional expense changing things out.
post #7 of 28 Old 05-21-2015, 09:54 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbob Frank View Post
My wife and I had our 24th anniversary recently at my cousin's shooting range.
We invited many friends and family to come up and shoot with us and grill out and generally have a good time.
After we had done some shooting we were sitting around eating brats and burgers talking about guns and hunting and such.
I mentioned wanting to get a 10MM 1911 to take deer hunting.
A friend of my brother-in-law's( decent guy really) who was there shooting his Glock immeadiatly did that thing all Glock fanboys do( you know you do!) and said I'd be better off with a Glock G20.
Now, all my friends know my feelings about Glocks and they sorta rolled their eyes and waited for my anti-Glock tirade.
I think I suprised them when I simply let him ramble on about Glock's superior design,reliablity and "Glock Perfection" in general.
After he wound down I related to him my rather dissapointing experience with my brother's G22 40s&w.
I thought the trigger sucked, it wasn't very accuate, fit my hand funny ,and it had several stove-pipes.
He asked how long ago this was and I told him about 1994 or so.
"Probably a Gen1" he replied"you should really try my Gen 3 G17. Much nicer."
I refrained from asking him "If Glock's were designed so well why did they need a Gen2 let alone 3?"
(I think they're up to 4 now)
So, I found myself back at the line with a Glock in my hand.(felt like I needed a shower)
First thing I noticed was the grip felt pretty good,better than I remembered.
I told him so.
" Yeah," he said proudly " I did the stippling myself."
He did a good job. Looked factory to me.
Shooting was even more of a suprise.Trigger felt good. Much lighter.
"Nice trigger." I begrudgingly said.
"Thanks,there's a gunshop down the street from my house that speacializes in Glocks.They did a trigger job on it for me."
"Oh." was my only reply.
"More accurate that I rember too." I told him, " and I like the sights.."
"Yeah," he replied" I had them installed when they did the trigger job"
"Didn't like the factory sights?" I asked
"Well, these are better," he admitted" plus they hit to the point of aim of the new barrel."
"New barrel?" I looked on top of the chamber and sure enough Lone Wolf in bold print.
After I finished shooting I handed it back to him.
"So, think you'll get a 10mm Glock?" he asked me.
"Nope" I replied "can't afford one."
"But they're cheap!" he protested" I only paid $550 for mine."
"How much you pay the gunshop?" I asked.
"Over $400" he said( his tone made me think it was probably closer to $500)
" I can buy a Rock Island Armory 10mm for $600" I replied " and it's ready for hunting as is."
" But thanks," I told him"you just saved me about $550 worth of trial and error."
Oh the irony...you drive a JK I assume vs a CJ from the 80's?

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
post #8 of 28 Old 05-21-2015, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartj17 View Post
I have shit both of them
OUCH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartj17 View Post
I didn't really care for them years ago. Never really felt good in my hand just pointing it. The 3 HK's were my favorites next to my Kimber and Sig. I guess my tastes have changed a bit with the Gen 4 design.
I never liked the way that double-stacked .45s felt in my hands but I do like my .40 gen IV. Feels good and is always reliable... clean or dirty. I'm more accurate with my Glock 22 and Springfield 1911 than any other semi-autos that I've owned. I could see lightening the trigger but it doesn't really bother me too much. My fiance doesn't like it because the grip tears up her hands a little bit but I like it.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #9 of 28 Old 05-21-2015, 11:02 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Not a Glock fanboy...I guess just by typing that it means I am.

Never have had a stovepipe on my G20. Not sure what Gen it is, maybe a 3. Or my G19.

I have had more than one in the newer .380's, I think its the G42. Not sure why but I have. Was using good ammo too. Not pleased with the G42. Lot's of other pocket size .380's that are better IMO
I have a G42 too and that little guy is a tack driver for a little shit. this is the very first rounds thru the pipe from 10-15yards and I shake like whore in church. I have read complaints of the g42 not feeding all the time but I have never had an issue.

Last edited by Jadmt; 05-21-2015 at 06:24 PM.
post #10 of 28 Old 05-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
OUCH!

I never liked the way that double-stacked .45s felt in my hands but I do like my .40 gen IV. Feels good and is always reliable... clean or dirty. I'm more accurate with my Glock 22 and Springfield 1911 than any other semi-autos that I've owned. I could see lightening the trigger but it doesn't really bother me too much. My fiance doesn't like it because the grip tears up her hands a little bit but I like it.
Why can't I shit a Glock?

The double stacked 45's do feel rather large in your hands.... the 40's on the other hand are just about perfect. I do have a single stack 45 the slimline version and it's quite nice.... what I carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #11 of 28 Old 05-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
Why can't I shit a Glock?

The double stacked 45's do feel rather large in your hands.... the 40's on the other hand are just about perfect. I do have a single stack 45 the slimline version and it's quite nice.... what I carry
The grip is usually where mine gets hung-up... but that's going in... not out.

I would actually love to have a single-stack glock in .45 but the next gun that comes into this house will likely be for Chelsea... meaning a Ruger SR9.

I understand the OP's feelings about this but I still think that it's cool to have a gun that's so easy to work on and one that you can easily customize to your exact preferences. I've jammed some 1911's ( surely user error) but never once jammed a Glock. For home defense I will grab for my Glock .40 loaded with Spear Gold Dot as opposed to any of my other guns.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #12 of 28 Old 05-21-2015, 06:18 PM
Granite Guru

Shitting out a Glock takes great mental preparation, not to mention things like muscle tone and lube. Remember to deliver it barrel first for safety reason, then work the handle out slowly while rotating.
post #13 of 28 Old 05-25-2015, 09:16 AM
Wheeler

I am a reformed glock fanboy here. I still own glocks, but I am slowly moving away from them. I have owned and shot just about every glock model in Gen3 or Gen4 pattern. I love them for what they are, dead nuts reliable and haven't changed in years.

However, one thing that can be said about glocks is, they were obviously designed for people with larger hands. Even with frame reductions my wife was unable to properly grip a glock and still reach the trigger safety. This resulted in countless FTE malfunctions due to her weak grip.

I traded her G19 that had as much material shaved and melted as possible for a 1 month old XDm 9 4.5" in OD green. Let me tell you now, the XDm is a VERY nice firearm. As a glock fanboy, I would never have thought I'd own one. But she has yet to experience a malfunction, and she can out shoot me with my G19.

So, slowly but surely, I am selling off my stock in Glock and moving to XD's.

15' White JKU- 2" lift, 35" tires, Gibson MM exhaust, etc.
post #14 of 28 Old 06-09-2015, 08:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedfireman View Post
I am a reformed glock fanboy here. I still own glocks, but I am slowly moving away from them. I have owned and shot just about every glock model in Gen3 or Gen4 pattern. I love them for what they are, dead nuts reliable and haven't changed in years.

However, one thing that can be said about glocks is, they were obviously designed for people with larger hands. Even with frame reductions my wife was unable to properly grip a glock and still reach the trigger safety. This resulted in countless FTE malfunctions due to her weak grip.

I traded her G19 that had as much material shaved and melted as possible for a 1 month old XDm 9 4.5" in OD green. Let me tell you now, the XDm is a VERY nice firearm. As a glock fanboy, I would never have thought I'd own one. But she has yet to experience a malfunction, and she can out shoot me with my G19.

I really like the grip profile of the new XD Mod.2. It feels alot like my Millenium G2 which has the nicest profile for my hand of any of the guns i've owned/still own. (Glock 19/36, XDS 45acp, several 1911's, S&W SD9VE, XD subcompact 40, Sig 938, etc...)

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #15 of 28 Old 06-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedfireman View Post

I never sell a firearm I purchase.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #16 of 28 Old 06-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
I never sell a firearm I purchase.......
Yup. Made that mistake twice. Didn't know it was a mistake the first time.
post #17 of 28 Old 06-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Wheeler

I've have a Glock 23 Gen 4 (.40) as my duty weapon, and have had earlier versions for many years. I don't have a lot of experience with other handguns, but my state agency hasn't had any real issues with any of the individual weapons, and they've pumped through a lot of rounds. Of course, we have armorers who've made some mods when alerts came out, and tear them apart every year. I believe that the grip size varies by caliber, and I recall that the .45 was a little"slippery" in my hands, and I have large hands. Maybe there's something as reliable, and we have a few agencies here (MT) that use Sigs and some others. Although I'm pretty diligent about cleaning my Glock, I'll guess it'll go a few thousand rounds without cleaning.
post #18 of 28 Old 06-27-2015, 04:58 AM
JKO Addict!

A Glock is to the sidearm world what the Camry is to the automotive world...

Fairly priced, well-made, ugly, ubiquitous, anonymous, reliable, and absolutely incapable of inspiring any emotional response whatsoever (unless you consider apathy an emotion).

I can't see spending some $1200 to make a race Glock out of duty sidearm. It's like dressing up a hammer. For that kind of money you are squarely in Dan Wesson Heritage territory. Glocks aren't my thing but they work for some guys.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #19 of 28 Old 06-27-2015, 09:39 AM
Wheeler

The best part for me is that I can clean it to like new in 15 minutes!
post #20 of 28 Old 06-30-2015, 06:56 AM
Rock God

I've been shooting M&P 9mm and .40S&W for a few years. Only just recently did I buy a G4 Glock 17. Wanted to try something different. I found the recoil far tamer with the glock and as such I am more accurate with it and I can get back on target much faster with it. Interesting thing is that the M&P still feels far better to hold. At least to me.
post #21 of 28 Old 07-01-2015, 10:31 AM
Rock God

Shot A Glock

All of my handguns are glocks and they are all in stock form. Not only is the glock adequate in its stock form for home and self defense, I think it excels without making any modifications. It's also beneficial that training and familiarity is uniform with multiple calibers and magazines are interchangeable between various sized frames. I think this is especially important for the other people in my household when it comes to them handling the various handguns in the house safely. I know that if the wifey picks up any handgun we own, she knows how to load, point and shoot effectively and efficiently with the minimal amount of training she has. I bought all of my handguns based on what I thought I needed and once I have enough disposable income to start collecting I'm sure my safe will house other manufacturers. Just my thoughts...I also agree that the M&P is much more comfortable to handle but I rarely carry a handgun in my hand for extended periods of time...

"CUTTS CREW"
07 Unlimited Sport
Snork
Bunch of Other Stuff
post #22 of 28 Old 07-03-2015, 10:37 PM
Rock God

I'd probably be shooting only Glocks if I could get a gen 4 G19 and a G43 but :California: and I jumped on the SSE train too late. I prefer keeping the same manual of arms so right now I have a Sig P938 and Sig 1911 Carry.

Friend has a gen 3 G19, XDM 9mm, M&P .40, and a Kahr PM9. I like how the G19 shoots, not a fan of the grip. Surprisingly most accurate with his M&P .40. Didn't care for the XDM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
post #23 of 28 Old 07-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
I can't see spending some $1200 to make a race Glock out of duty sidearm. It's like dressing up a hammer. For that kind of money you are squarely in Dan Wesson Heritage territory. Glocks aren't my thing but they work for some guys.
Some of those Salient/Zev Glocks look nice, although I'm in the same boat and I'd rather go with a DW or Wilson Combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
post #24 of 28 Old 07-06-2015, 10:54 AM
JKO Addict!

I've owned several 1911's, i've owned several glocks, i currently own several m&p's.

I'm far from a glock fanboi. i prefer the m&p. but i will say, the 1911 was the finest fighting hand gun of it's time... OF IT'S TIME.

they're finicky, they're single action only, they only hold 8 rounds, etc etc etc. if you want a 10mm for deer why not just do a large caliber revolver? it's going to be more accurate and give you a wider selection of loads.

If you're looking for a man stopper, there's no reason to go larger than 9mm. when you look at the research done there's no real difference in the number of good hits to stop a motivated attacker between 9mm and .45. They're so close it doesn't matter.

3-5 good upper thoracic hits is the average regardless of caliber. I'll take my 18 rounds of 9mm over 8 rounds of .45 ANY day.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #25 of 28 Old 07-07-2015, 08:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
I've owned several 1911's, i've owned several glocks, i currently own several m&p's.

I'm far from a glock fanboi. i prefer the m&p. but i will say, the 1911 was the finest fighting hand gun of it's time... OF IT'S TIME.

they're finicky, they're single action only, they only hold 8 rounds, etc etc etc. if you want a 10mm for deer why not just do a large caliber revolver? it's going to be more accurate and give you a wider selection of loads.

If you're looking for a man stopper, there's no reason to go larger than 9mm. when you look at the research done there's no real difference in the number of good hits to stop a motivated attacker between 9mm and .45. They're so close it doesn't matter.

3-5 good upper thoracic hits is the average regardless of caliber. I'll take my 18 rounds of 9mm over 8 rounds of .45 ANY day.
This statement is dead on. Shot placement trumps caliber 95% of the time. If you can deliver quick accurate followup shots with a hot round, then more power to you. Unless you're dumping 1000ft/lbs of energy into someone via 44mag or 460Rowland, it's all the same.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode