AR Club - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old 04-29-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
AR Club

well I've finally decided to join the AR Club while I can. I have a buddy with an FFL license who is going to build me one. he's ordering me a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 with an additional .300 barrel and a gas block. he's going to convert the 5.56/.223 to a .300 Blackout for me. the best part is it will only be costing me $700. that is for everything. Smith & Wesson wants well over $1k for a .300 already built from them.

i'm not going to be using this as home defense or taking to the range just to burn rounds up. it will go into my hunting arsenal and be used primarily for deer and pig hunting. probably going to throw a Leupold VXIII on it for optics. i'm wanting something I can see and shoot out to about 200 yards in all kinds environments so variable power is a must.

2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- 3.5" Rubicon Express lift /w 1.25" BL
- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 04-29-2015, 01:33 PM
Wheeler

I have nothing but good things to say about the fit and finish of my M&P15 lower.

I had a 3-9x42 on there for a while and liked it, I'm back to iron sights at the moment just for fun.

Welcome to the club, it's addicting.
post #3 of 53 Old 04-29-2015, 01:36 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

You can't have just one...............you'll see

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 04-29-2015, 02:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
THIS ^^^
post #5 of 53 Old 04-30-2015, 01:32 AM
Granite Guru

I have 5 now.
All but two I built myself from 80% lowers.
I've often said ARs are the Wranglers of the gun world.
No end to the options and available parts, and most changes can be done at home.
post #6 of 53 Old 04-30-2015, 02:05 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbob Frank View Post
I have 5 now.
All but two I built myself from 80% lowers.
I've often said ARs are the Wranglers of the gun world.
No end to the options and available parts, and most changes can be done at home.
I say that same thing! Its so true. I've built 3 from scratch using Lauru and Bravo Company parts.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 53 Old 04-30-2015, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

i hope this doesn't turn into another addiction! the wife would probably leave me if I found another hobby. she already gripes about my Jeep, archery and hunting addictions. she really got pissed when I built an archery work bench in our living room. she did however give me our spare bedroom as my "man cave" after that. she got tired of seeing my archery stuff all over our living room and not to mention shooting my bow in the living room...lol

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #8 of 53 Old 04-30-2015, 08:59 PM
Rock God

Sounds like it's going to be a nice little build. Having a buddy who can hook you up is priceless.

What length barrel are you going with? 16+ or an SBR?
post #9 of 53 Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcspaz View Post
Sounds like it's going to be a nice little build. Having a buddy who can hook you up is priceless.

What length barrel are you going with? 16+ or an SBR?
since it's going to be for hunting, i'm going to stay with a 16+. I want to keep the velocity up. if I ever decide to get my license and buy a suppressor I will just buy a short barrel for going subsonic. my buddy said he can get barrels fairly cheap also.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #10 of 53 Old 05-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Rock God

Good deal. With a hypersonic round and a 16+ inch barrel, you will see great performance out to about 250-300 meters. My SBR is only good for about 50-100 meters with subsonics, but damn is it fun to shot. LOL

But yes, barrels a pretty cheap. A really high quality barrel will only be upwards of $300. Inexpensive, but still good is around $150.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures once its done.

Last edited by marcspaz; 05-04-2015 at 05:20 PM.
post #11 of 53 Old 05-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Granite Guru

Although not M&P, I've done something similar with my .300. Only thing that bothers me is the weight if I have to lug it anywhere, but once I'm shooting, the weight makes it comfortable. Only thing I have changed is put a SJC Titan compensator on it. I love shooting it.
post #12 of 53 Old 07-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Rock God

Garage
Question AR Club

Can I join the AR Club with my AR-7?

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #13 of 53 Old 07-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Rock God

There is always room in the cool kids club, but if you are talking about the Henry AR-7... not exactly the same thing. Any pics?
post #14 of 53 Old 07-18-2015, 09:55 PM
JKO Addict!

My cherry just got popped, Well AR wise that is

Assembled my Spikes lower this evening, My first, And it wasn't bad at all. All went together smoothly (well almost, more later) and no major nicks or scratches... Not bad for doing it on living room table with no vise for block.

As for the "well almost" part.... The pivot detent is a world class mudder fawker, Luckily there was a spare as the first one I messed with is now somewhere behind my TV I'll be getting the tool as my next challenge will be to do an 80% lower, probably a .300.

Bought a kit from Midway to throw on it, Not high dollar but should be OK, Has some Daniel Defense pieces in it. Should be in Monday, Then I get to play with buffer detent

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #15 of 53 Old 07-19-2015, 07:10 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockgator View Post
My cherry just got popped, Well AR wise that is

Assembled my Spikes lower this evening, My first, And it wasn't bad at all. All went together smoothly (well almost, more later) and no major nicks or scratches... Not bad for doing it on living room table with no vise for block.

As for the "well almost" part.... The pivot detent is a world class mudder fawker, Luckily there was a spare as the first one I messed with is now somewhere behind my TV I'll be getting the tool as my next challenge will be to do an 80% lower, probably a .300.

Bought a kit from Midway to throw on it, Not high dollar but should be OK, Has some Daniel Defense pieces in it. Should be in Monday, Then I get to play with buffer detent

The 80% will require a milling machine?

"Government is not the solution, it is the problem."
"We are never defeated unless we give up on GOD."
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan
Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond.
post #16 of 53 Old 07-19-2015, 08:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Drill press will do, Just have to get proper tooling for it. I looked into it and there's many kits with proper drill and mill bits, Also many videos that show how.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Proud to be deplorable

post #17 of 53 Old 07-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
2 is 1, 1 is none!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
Welcome to JKO. You can pick up your sandy vagina douche and irritation cream at the front desk.
post #18 of 53 Old 07-22-2015, 09:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've seen guys do it with a hand drill and the proper jigs. Seems like a pita, but it's doable.

On a side note, i bought a couple of Anderson stripped lowers from a LGS recently and a 9mm carbine rifle kit from PSA. I looked up a couple of videos on building lowers and was surprised at how little goes into it. My brother and a couple of friends wanted see how it goes together, so it's going to turn into a teaching moment for us all.

The 9mm, kit from PSA doesn't have the ramped carrier, so the kit uses a specific hammer for the carrier. I don't know how well it will work with a rifle upper, but with the mag block in the lower, it will likely stay a 9mm dedicated lower for the foreseeable future.

Not sure what i'm going to do with the other lower yet, i'm thinking about SBRing it, but i'd also like a longer barreled rifle 20"-22" in an alternate caliber.

Should be shooting my first built AR lower in a week or so.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #19 of 53 Old 07-23-2015, 12:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Building the lower was quite easy, With the exception of the aforementioned pivot detent. There's a tool that makes it go easier.

My kit made it today and I threw it together in less than a half hour, Granted the upper had the BCG, charging handle, barrel and hand grip already installed. All I had to assemble was the rear pin and detent(easy), buffer tube and buffer detent(also easy) and throw the rear buis on.

Before I start throwing lead I'm going to go back over everything to make sure I assembled it correctly.

Going to wait till I get proficient with the open sights before I go spending $$$ on optics (In other words I'm not sure what optics I'm going to get)

Afraid I've got BGD now (Black Gun Disease)

Proud to be deplorable

post #20 of 53 Old 07-23-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

finally finished my AR build this week. as I mentioned earlier, I started out with a Smith & Wesson M&P Sport. I was planning on keeping it simple but that plan got derailed rather quickly. I ended up ordering a Palmetto State Armory upper, Monstrum Tactical 10" free floating hand guard, pistol gas tube, low profile gas block, Ghost Rifle .300 aac barrel and a Yankee Hill Phantom flash suppressor.

I ended up deciding to keep the M&P upper complete to prevent the extra hassle of removing parts to switch calibers. right now all I have to do is switch my bolt, carrier and charging handle between uppers when I want to switch between calibers. I will end up buying an extra bolt, carrier and charging handle sooner or later so I won't even have to switch those out.

anyway, I also switched out the factory 7# trigger in the S&W lower with a RRA 2 stage varmint 3.5# trigger. for my sighting system I elected to go with Nikon AR rings and a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40mm scope with their BDC reticle. using Nikon's Spot On software with my choice of ammo, Hornady 110 grain V-Max bullets, and zeroing in at 200 yards leaves my BDC aiming points at 250, 300, 350 and 400 yards...give or take a couple yards.

using the 200 yard zero method, I only get a 3.25" positive difference at max and that is at 100 yards. for my hunting purpose, as long as I put my cross hair on the heart from 0 to 200 yards...i'll have a dead deer/pig. the only thing I am missing now is a sling. does anyone have any suggestions for me on this. being that I am using a free floating hand guard, what kind of sling mount should I run on the front that does not attach to my hand guard?

oh and here is a pic of my rifle before and after my Krylon paint job...

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's

Last edited by CamoCop; 07-23-2015 at 09:22 PM.
post #21 of 53 Old 07-24-2015, 07:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Very nice setup! And I love the paint!
post #22 of 53 Old 07-27-2015, 09:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Nice paint Camo.

Regarding the roll pins in the lower I opted to use a set of channellock pliers instead of a punch and hammer, I did file the leading edge of the pin first for a bit more bevel. Seemed to be easier on the lower as it's not being shocked. So which method does our esteemed builders prefer?

Proud to be deplorable

post #23 of 53 Old 07-28-2015, 07:33 AM
Rock God

I disagree about multiple AR ownership. There's nothing wrong with owning just one. Just make sure it's not a POS.

CamoCop, nice build. It has purpose.
Unlike so many dressed-up tarts found at gun shows, the range, non-shooter's delusional fantasy land, etc., I'd be proud to have a copy of your rifle...and you're right, all it needs is a sling.

Couple questions...
- Just curious, what's it weigh as pictured?
- Can you rephrase your question about a forward sling mount not attached to the hand guard? I'm not gettin' your idea. Kinda the whole point of a free-floater...isolate the barrel from external influences like slings, bipods and heavy hands.
post #24 of 53 Old 07-28-2015, 02:33 PM
Rock God

I use a Viking Tactics sling attached to my free float quad rail. Works great, quickly adjustable, very comfortable.

post #25 of 53 Old 07-28-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
I disagree about multiple AR ownership. There's nothing wrong with owning just one. Just make sure it's not a POS.

CamoCop, nice build. It has purpose.
Unlike so many dressed-up tarts found at gun shows, the range, non-shooter's delusional fantasy land, etc., I'd be proud to have a copy of your rifle...and you're right, all it needs is a sling.

Couple questions...
- Just curious, what's it weigh as pictured?
- Can you rephrase your question about a forward sling mount not attached to the hand guard? I'm not gettin' your idea. Kinda the whole point of a free-floater...isolate the barrel from external influences like slings, bipods and heavy hands.
not sure on the weight but it ended up a lot lighter than I imagined. i'll have to put it on my scale to get an exact weight. I will try to remember to do that tomorrow.

I see what your saying about the point of a free float barrel. I was just concerned about the sling putting too much pressure on the free floating hand guard and slowly bending it over time. I guess I could use a rail sling mount and just keep the mount closer to the upper where the hand guard screws to the upper. it has a lot more support in this area instead of near the end where there is no support.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode