AR Build recommendations - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-09-2015, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

AR Build recommendations

So I've had a Bushmaster ORC for a while now and after putting a new Volquartsen trigger in my 10/22 I decided I don't like my AR trigger so I started looking at upgrading the trigger in it. And then started thinking of replacing the handguard to a quadrail, and going with a different stock etc.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I might be better off doing something I've wanted to do for a long time and just build one the way I want. Unfortunately, I really don't know much about it and I have to do it on a budget.

Here are the things that I know I want. Magpul ACS stock, free float quadrail, 5-6lb trigger (I swear mine is around 12lb) carbine or mid length barrel, flat top.

Can I get end up better off for around $1000 or should I just upgrade what I have?

Any feed back is appreciated.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-10-2015, 07:05 AM
JKO Addict!

https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_233

best bang for buck upper out there imho

PSA had their magpul MOE complete lower for sale for 159. I just looked and they're out of stock now. But regardless, you can still build the lower fairly inexpensively and leave plenty of $ for a gisele or similar trigger.

they have this complete lower still in stock. since it's cheap enough you could just swap the stock and grip and trigger to what you want...

or buy a stripped lower.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...category/4282/

but that basically gets you an entire AR with quality parts (other than the junk grip/stock which you're going to change anyway) for around 500 bucks

31 jeeps in... still have issues

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 03-10-2015 at 07:08 AM.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Granite Guru

I would agree with the above statement. You can build an AR with very little knowledge at all. Remember that there are a ton of forums just like this one that are dedicated to just that type of thing.

I went the other route though. I went with a CMC 4lb trigger on a 20 inch barrel. However I went a different route than the traditional .223/5.56 and ended up going with a 6.5mm grendel. To each their own right?

Other quesitons to consider would be what are you wanting to do with this AR? Just like Jeeps suspensions, the question is really loaded with all kinds of sub-questions.

1. Is it just for paper?
2. Are you looking to put on a scope?
3. Do you want this for hunting?
4. What type of MOA are you trying to achieve?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-10-2015, 08:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartj17 View Post
I would agree with the above statement. You can build an AR with very little knowledge at all. Remember that there are a ton of forums just like this one that are dedicated to just that type of thing.

I went the other route though. I went with a CMC 4lb trigger on a 20 inch barrel. However I went a different route than the traditional .223/5.56 and ended up going with a 6.5mm grendel. To each their own right?

Other quesitons to consider would be what are you wanting to do with this AR? Just like Jeeps suspensions, the question is really loaded with all kinds of sub-questions.

1. Is it just for paper?
2. Are you looking to put on a scope?
3. Do you want this for hunting?
4. What type of MOA are you trying to achieve?
ya, i'm fine with the standard PSA trigger that came in my build kit lol.

like stated above, use is what dictates how you build it. If you're looking for accuracy then look at the barrel length to velocity tables.

I have a pretty standard built AR with a 16" barrel and the gun is more accurate than i am. I was shooting at 150 yards over the weekend with the red dot and the dot was as big as the target. i think its a 3 moa dot? i can't remember which one i have.

anyway, what do you want to do with it?

post #5 of 22 Old 03-10-2015, 08:30 AM
JKO Addict!

I'm all for going fancy billet too... but you're usually looking at around 1600 bucks for a nice build (once you do the stripped billet upper/lowers, nice barrel, nice quad rail, nice trigger etc.

post #6 of 22 Old 03-10-2015, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Great info guys! I will mostly be punching paper out a little ways, random stuff in the desert and some whistle pigs. I have a Holosight but ended up taking it off and putting a 3-9 on it for small stuff further out.

I just had a second, I'll look closer at those recommendations when I get more time this evening.

Thanks!

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-10-2015, 10:52 AM
JKO Addict!

https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_278

18" might be the way to go then.

This doesn't come with the BCG or CH but i love the fluted stainless barrel

https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_259_27

post #8 of 22 Old 03-11-2015, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

This "out of stock" shit is irritating.

post #9 of 22 Old 03-11-2015, 09:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
This "out of stock" shit is irritating.
what's OOS that you're looking for?

when stuff is a good deal it pretty much flies off the shelf.

you've gotta be watching.

post #10 of 22 Old 03-11-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
what's OOS that you're looking for?

when stuff is a good deal it pretty much flies off the shelf.

you've gotta be watching.
First thing this morning the upper you linked me to came up OOS and then showed up again as available. Not sure if I brought up wrong one or what. The other OOS stuff is trying to find the lower build kits with the stock and trigger combo I want.

I found a Rock River 2 stage trigger and build kit for $150 so I think I will go that route and order lower, buffer kit and stock separately. Is that all I will need for the lower? Buffer kits seem to vary in price a bunch, anything I need to know about them?

https://www.primaryarms.com/RRA_Lowe...p/ar0120nm.htm

Last edited by jrider; 03-11-2015 at 10:42 AM.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-11-2015, 11:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
First thing this morning the upper you linked me to came up OOS and then showed up again as available. Not sure if I brought up wrong one or what. The other OOS stuff is trying to find the lower build kits with the stock and trigger combo I want.

I found a Rock River 2 stage trigger and build kit for $150 so I think I will go that route and order lower, buffer kit and stock separately. Is that all I will need for the lower? Buffer kits seem to vary in price a bunch, anything I need to know about them?

https://www.primaryarms.com/RRA_Lowe...p/ar0120nm.htm
that looks like all you need to assemble the lower... kinda pricey though... then again, i don't know anything about that trigger.

http://www.righttobear.com/Geissele-...-p/ssa-lpk.htm

i was kinda eyeing those

or if you already have a lower and standard LPK

http://www.copesdistributing.com/gei...er-p-8247.html

you could do that built lower for 129 with that drop in geissele...

just tossing out ideas

post #12 of 22 Old 03-11-2015, 11:54 AM
JKO Addict!

you know about this place right?

http://www.slickguns.com/ar-deals

post #13 of 22 Old 03-11-2015, 06:22 PM
Rock God

Quote:
That's a good price on a Geissele drop in! I'm glad I looked into this thread.

Thanks 2k2wranglerx !

I gotta be me cause everyone else was already taken.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-11-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
you know about this place right?

http://www.slickguns.com/ar-deals
No, I didn't. Now I have another way of killing time!

Just scored a Spikes T2 buffer assembly on local CL for a smokin deal!

Last edited by jrider; 03-11-2015 at 10:26 PM.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-12-2015, 10:43 AM

I have a few Geissele triggers and they are worth every penny. Primary Arms occasionally runs a 15 percent off sale which can help with the cost.

My favorite places for AR parts and accessories are :

AIM Surplus
Bravo Company USA
LaRue Tactical
Rainier Arms

The great things about ARs is you can go mild or extremely wild.
post #16 of 22 Old 03-12-2015, 04:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Here's the one I built.

psa 1:7 chrome lined upper. Psa lower with standard build.

Magpul stuff. LaRue rat stock.

It has a vortex sparc ii but I should have just spent a little more on another aimpoint.

post #17 of 22 Old 03-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Wheeler

build

Your best bet money wise is going to be a BCM upper on the lower or your choice. I tend to use Noveske. You can drive it like you stole it without problems. A ALG trigger is good for a first build, but I recommend geissele sd-c series.

I do understand wanting to build your own, but once you do it, you just go wow that's easy. If you decide to buy parts, at least get a bolt that is headspaced to your barrel. This is where you will find accuracy. I am also on the keymod wagon, I think they are great.

Lastly, if you build it all yourself, buy the reaction rod, this is much better than anything else on the market. I threw all the other blocks away after I got it.

I used to have quite a few AR's, but most of that was building during the binge last year. Currently I run KAC, which is the best imho, but its store bought and not a build your own.

Feel free to pm me if you need some parts, I have some laying around. also I have a Noveske keymod rails I can give you a deal on.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
post #18 of 22 Old 03-13-2015, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

This is ridiculous! I haven't even received my parts I ordered online but I'm already looking at getting stuff for my next build.

Thanks for the info and help everyone. I'll be sure to post pics when I get #1 complete.

post #19 of 22 Old 03-13-2015, 10:04 AM
JKO Addict!

the tops one is the pistol i built with the hardened arms upper.

post #20 of 22 Old 03-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Granite Guru

For Sparty
Attached Images

post #21 of 22 Old 03-13-2015, 08:55 PM
JKO Addict!

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...view/id/15072/

Magpul moe built lower for 159

post #22 of 22 Old 04-06-2015, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

One Piece at a Time!

Finally got everything and now I just got to get some time to work on building it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode