Banning the 5.56 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 02-17-2015, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Banning the 5.56

Any of you see this?

Quote:
this morning comes the news that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, And Firearms wants to reclassify common SS109/M855 5.56 NATO ammunition as “armor-piercing” and ban it from import, manufacture, or sale.

The cartridge had previously been classified “exempt” from the ban on so-called “armor-piercing” ammunition.
http://bearingarms.com/goodbye-green...56-ammunition/

Looks to be a mostly done deal.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 02-17-2015, 07:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Sad, but not surprising. Do you think our fore fathers would have waited this long to kick off the Revolution?

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”― Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 38 Old 02-18-2015, 04:52 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Its just back door gun control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 02-18-2015, 06:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I feel fairly confident that this will get struck down. I've read there are several ways to do it, one of them for Congress to amend one line in a law. An Executive Order would get overturned in court of by the next POTUS.

In any event, just ordered another 1000 rounds of 5.56.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 02-18-2015 at 06:30 AM.
post #5 of 38 Old 02-18-2015, 07:09 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
I feel fairly confident that this will get struck down. I've read there are several ways to do it, one of them for Congress to amend one line in a law. An Executive Order would get overturned in court of by the next POTUS.

^This.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #6 of 38 Old 02-18-2015, 08:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Green tip is nothing that special. And it's not a ban on all AR ammo like some people keep spouting.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #7 of 38 Old 02-18-2015, 09:54 AM

Seems prices are maintaining slightly around .60 cents a round. For that price I can shoot regular FMJ .308.

Well except for the fucking assholes at cheaper than dirt that already tried to price gouge customers. Fuck them.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #8 of 38 Old 02-18-2015, 10:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
Green tip is nothing that special. And it's not a ban on all AR ammo like some people keep spouting.
Yep, I've yet to read a definitive article that doesn't contradict another one. At this point, I don't think Obama knows a green tip from the black tip he sucks on.

I'm not sure what to make of the "rumors". I think they just want the NRA to spend more money and get people riled up. Mark my words, the next AR shooting and the gun grabbers will be screaming "see, they should have banned that ammo". Doesn't matter that there are hundreds of millions of rounds out there already.

Dumbasses.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #9 of 38 Old 02-18-2015, 01:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Yep, I've yet to read a definitive article that doesn't contradict another one. At this point, I don't think Obama knows a green tip from the black tip he sucks on.

I'm not sure what to make of the "rumors". I think they just want the NRA to spend more money and get people riled up. Mark my words, the next AR shooting and the gun grabbers will be screaming "see, they should have banned that ammo". Doesn't matter that there are hundreds of millions of rounds out there already.

Dumbasses.
the green tip isn't as good at penetrating as the higher velocity stuff. And it's not a good anti-personel round.

i can't see paying anywhere over .40 a round for it.

you can still grab 5.56 at LAX ammo for .30/round. and freedom munitions has .223 for even less.

post #10 of 38 Old 02-18-2015, 01:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
the green tip isn't as good at penetrating as the higher velocity stuff. And it's not a good anti-personel round.

i can't see paying anywhere over .40 a round for it.

you can still grab 5.56 at LAX ammo for .30/round. and freedom munitions has .223 for even less.
That is what I just paid - .40 per round.

LAX doesn't have 5.56 in stock.

, Granite,
post #11 of 38 Old 02-18-2015, 01:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
That is what I just paid - .40 per round.

LAX doesn't have 5.56 in stock.
here ya go

https://www.laxammo.com/ammunition/5...xm1931/50-1039

post #12 of 38 Old 02-18-2015, 01:54 PM
Granite Guru

Ya over on M4.net they are going nuttz , But I agree that M855 ban is just back door gun grabbing . Is this justified no , the BATF has banned this round because of the SBR crowd . The round isn't even stable in an AR with any thing less than a 16" barrel anyway . The ban is based on information that it is an AP round which it is not , based on design . The round was designed for a barrel length of 18"-20" barrels . I don't think this will stand the test of time . Whats next the 193 round , this round fits the anti-gungrabber bill . And just to clarify any ruling is not a law , it's just a ruling made and will more than likely be struck down in the Lower Courts , won't even be viewed by the SCOTUS .
post #13 of 38 Old 02-18-2015, 05:47 PM
Rock God

Yall should checkout palmettostatearmory.com

Have good prices. Checkout th daily deals tab. Always something pretty good. Last can of 556 I bought 420 rounds for $145. But that was a several months ago.
post #14 of 38 Old 02-19-2015, 07:57 AM
Granite Guru

i've got three 150 round packs of m855 green tip if anyone is interested in paying flipper/gouger prices. it is really important to have a spray painted green tip on your bullets when putting holes in paper at the range... LOL

there is still plenty of 556 and 223 ammo that is not banned and is going for reasonable prices. check out ammoseek - 223 for 22 cents a round and 556 for 32 cents... or pay me $1/round for my banned green tip ammo...

even though there is still plenty of ammo available at reasonable prices, obama and the batf are still a bunch of d-bags.
post #15 of 38 Old 02-19-2015, 10:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

With any luck, people will start hoarding greentip and maybe the price of .22lr will get reasonable again. i'm not holding my breath.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #16 of 38 Old 02-27-2015, 01:22 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I like greentip and horded around 10K rounds over the past couple of years. But this attack is just the beginning, The current administration will try to do severe damage to the 2nd amendment over the next 2 years

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #17 of 38 Old 02-27-2015, 03:41 AM
Rock God

Quote:
True, but if they succeed with this it will only continue from there.

Who knows, next it may be: "5.56mm are "military" rounds and sportsmen don't need those, they only need .223, so let's ban the 5.56 military ammo from being sold to the public."
post #18 of 38 Old 02-28-2015, 02:09 AM
Rock God

Stupid fuckers. The stuff I load at home has far more penetration than crappy ass green tip and I can load for about $.15 per round. BATFE is a power grabbing bunch of assholes. They are basically Obummers bitches and can go screw themselves. I do hate loading 223 though. Brass prep is a bitch.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #19 of 38 Old 03-01-2015, 02:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The Second Amendment isn't about giving us our right to use sporting arms. It's about our right to bear arms period. This round should not be banned for anyone in the United States. The BATF is trying to stop us from having guns in a slow step method of banning certain items until they can ban all black rifles. The fact that it is a military designed round is more of a reason it shouldn't be banned.

I'm sure the founders didn't even care about shooting sports or hunting when they wrote the Second Amendment. I'm not going to sit back and let this go and then wait for the next infringement. I'm writing and calling and making my point heard. We should all get involved if we understand and care about our rights.

Is the First Amendment only for certain people? Do you need to qualify to use it? Do we need to regulate it? What if everyone used the First Amendment as they saw fit? Who regulates this right and makes sure only those that have the right permits get to exercise this right? Are there words that are just too dangerous? Can we criticize our leaders? What if everyone criticized the leaders of the local cities, counties, states and country? Should we ban certain parts of the First Amendment?
post #20 of 38 Old 03-02-2015, 04:35 AM

Was putting some newly acquired ammo away last night and discovered that 90% of my AR ammo is M855. Fuck you ATF.

Quote:
Quote:
post #21 of 38 Old 03-02-2015, 11:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Was putting some newly acquired ammo away last night and discovered that 90% of my AR ammo is M855. Fuck you ATF.
I got a 1000 new rounds of 5.56 a couple of weeks ago. Loaded up to go to the range and was considering what to shoot, the old or new. I looked the 1200 rounds I already had and it's all M855 green tip. I decided to shoot the new 5.56 non green tip and it's a good thing, when I got to the range, they don't allow green tip to be shot there. I guess it tears up their back stop.

, Granite,
post #22 of 38 Old 03-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Rock God

I liked buying m855 when it was $0.20 - $0.28 cpr until after 2008 when prices skyrocketed and never really came back down. It's was great for plinking. I don't know why it's so coveted? I know it has the steel core for the SHTF kinda situations, but what else?

Military rounds are loaded a little hotter than .223, but 55 grn .223 still passed through 3/4" plywood and the water filled milk jug behind it. It also passes through 2 car doors. We used to shoot up an old 1980 something oldmobile coup my uncle had on his property. We also put cinder blocks inside the car and they got torn apart.

I'll admit that m855 did crack and make holes in the engine block, but just the outer walls.

I just order 500 rds of 55 grn soft points. I do like me some 69 grn BTHP and even 75 grn BTHP. When I can find some Hornandy Superformance and even steel match at a good price, I scoop it up.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
post #23 of 38 Old 03-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Wheeler

It amazes me how stupid the gov is about most things. Does anyone even realize how insignificant green tip bullets are ? I have read their report and the flawed logic behind it. If this does go thru, it will open the door for all sorts of bullets to be banned. If you reload I would stock up on supplies as you can afford it. Going into the elections things are not going to get any better for shooters in general. The Reds are going to put out another dud to try and be elected, while giving more weight to Hillary to replace Barry.

Buying a rifle round that will penetrate said armor......well it's almost all of them. There is not one instance of any LEO being put down from green tip anything. The mall ninja crowd doesn't even know what it is...until now. Those are the crazy people who keep on messing things up for the rest of us.

Something we need to remember is that 855 is NOT ap ammo, but this could lead to the gov deciding what bullets WE are allowed to shoot. I hope you guys are signing the petition and writing your reps. It's not the 556 green tip that will be something we all wish we had, it will be all of our hunting rounds. I do believe most LEO shootings involving "hunting" rounds that are done with a rifle.

I am not sure how many of you guys shoot a lot, but not doing anything about this will lead to the extinction of this....

[IMG][/IMG]
post #24 of 38 Old 03-04-2015, 04:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson1911 View Post
I hope you guys are signing the petition and writing your reps.
Do you really think that signing a petition accomplishes anything other than using more bandwidth?

, Granite,
post #25 of 38 Old 03-06-2015, 06:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Do you really think that signing a petition accomplishes anything other than using more bandwidth?
This will get passed. The question will be whether or not they come for the XM193 down the road.

Of course this wouldn't be an issue if every tacticool yahoo in the country didn't jump on the SigBrace bandwagon to build an AR pistol that will never be used as a pistol. Had these cheapos who wanted an SBR just gone through the system in place this wouldn't be an issue.

I almost wonder if the ATF decided to allow the SigBrace so they could justify pulling green tips off the market.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...

Last edited by Jaybee1669; 03-06-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode