Starting my first AR build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 02-17-2015, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Starting my first AR build

I'm starting my first AR15 build. Been wanting to try it. I have a Rock River and I like it, but it's so damn heavy. I'm going to try to keep this on the lighter side.
So far I've ordered a BCM standard upper assembly. 16" barrel, carbine length gas, 1:7 twist. Right now they are giving away their BCG and their "Mod 0" compensator with any 16" upper purchase. Pretty good deal if you ask me. This upper will arrive tomorrow.

As far as a lower, a range near me has Anderson stripped lowers for $50. Thoughts? They said they'll be getting in some Spikes lowers soon. Don't have price on those. Would a Spikes be any better than the Anderson as far as quality?

I'll probably get a CMMG lower parts kit and an Anderson buffer kit.

For furniture I'm thinking keeping things simple and going with Magpul for the handguard and stock and grip. Partial to OD green to match my XDM 4.5" 9mm.

Can't wait to get started

☀lllllll☀ 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk
☀lllllll☀ 2009 Unlimited X
☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-18-2015, 05:54 AM
Granite Guru

Just picked up a few Anderson lowers myself, had my Gunsmith look them over and all of them looked straight and good to go. I say go for it. As far as everything else. Just get what you like. Slap it together and pull the bang switch until you have callouses. Wash rinse and repeat.

Good Luck on your build Sir!

2011 Sport 2dr - SOLD
2013 JKU Sport - SOLD
2014 JKU Sport - Wife's DD
2015 JKU Sport - New Hotness
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old 02-18-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My upper arrived today. Super fast shipping. Ordered Saturday evening.
This thing looks great. BCG and CH shipped inside the receiver. Well packaged and no dings or scratches. BCG shows very slight wear mark from test firing, which I was aware of ahead of time. Very happy with this so far.

I went ahead and ran over to the range today to purchase a stripped lower. Was expecting a 24 hr. waiting period, but since the receiver can be built as a rifle or hangdgun, I have to wait 72 hours. I did not know that. Oh well, all my parts aren't here yet anyway. I picked up a CMMG lower parts kit while I was there.

I had heard BCM sent swag with their products, but I wasn't expecting a hat this nice. Lots of stickers, too. I also got 5 really nice posters for the man cave.
Attached Images

☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 02-19-2015, 05:14 AM
JKO Addict!

very nice. I didn't appreciate the AR until i built a couple.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #5 of 36 Old 02-19-2015, 05:38 AM
Rock God

I built my first last year, and starting my second now.

this one is on an Anderson lower with CMMG Parts kit. Anderson buffer, etc.

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
post #6 of 36 Old 02-19-2015, 10:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm getting ready for my first build this year. I'm thinking about picking up some of the poly/hybrid lowers from Tennessee Arms.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 36 Old 02-19-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Holding pattern while I wait for my parts. I thought I'd be stringing this out over several weeks/months, but that's not happening, lol. I've got everything I need/want for this thing on order now. Picking up my lower on Saturday. I'm not so good at patience when it comes to this stuff.
Now when it comes to the actual build process, I will be meticulous and savor the moment.

Here's a bit of info I didn't know and forgot to add in my last post.
When I purchased the lower, I considered picking up 2 and keep one in the safe for the next time I get the itch to build another one (bound to happen). I asked about buying a second one on the same paperwork/waiting period. The guy said yes I could do that, but he said it's considered a multiple firearm purchase and would have to be reported to the ATF. He said something about checking on cartels or something. I went ahead and just got the one lower, but I hadn't heard of that before.

Oh yeah, my build list is as follows:

BCM M4 16" Upper Receiver Group
BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) Auto
BCM Gunfighter charging handle Mod 4
BCM Gunfighter compensator Mod 0
Anderson stripped lower
CMMG LPK
Anderson mil spec buffer kit
Magpul MOE handguard (OD)
Magpul STR mil spec stock (OD)
Magpul MOE+ pistol grip (OD)
Magpul MBUS2 flip-up rear sight (OD)
Magpul MOE trigger guard poly (OD)
Yankee Hill Machine Eotech riser (moving my Eotech 512 to this AR)

I don't think I forgot anything.

☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
post #8 of 36 Old 02-19-2015, 01:21 PM
Granite Guru

Sounds like a solid build

2011 Sport 2dr - SOLD
2013 JKU Sport - SOLD
post #9 of 36 Old 02-23-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It's complete. Well.. almost. Still have to tighten down the castle nut. Waiting on my armorer's tool to get here.

Assembling the lower was easier than I thought. I watched many videos ahead of time. Some videos make it seem harder than it is.
I never picked up a hammer or punch. I opted for using slip joint pliers with electrical tape over one jaw to press in my roll pins. Worked like a charm and not one single scuff or ding on the finish.

Now I can't wait for the weather to cooperate so I can get this thing out and get it zeroed and have some fun.
Attached Images

☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
post #10 of 36 Old 02-24-2015, 06:50 AM
Granite Guru

Nice work mang!

2011 Sport 2dr - SOLD
2013 JKU Sport - SOLD
post #11 of 36 Old 02-28-2015, 02:22 AM
Rock God

looks good. I almost bought that same upper (That was a sweet deal they had) but decided I didn't want the FSP so ended up getting a deal on a green mountain barrel and vltor low pro gas block for 125, added a YHM competition free float guard and SAA receiver with an SAA bolt and charging handle. built the lower Anderson with a magpul stock and buffer combo. Was out to the range for $615. The gun is shooting sub moa consistently. I did add a aimpoint pro which was damn near as much as the build but my old eyes can't see through the iron sights anymore. congrats a very nice build. It's amazing how easy they are to build.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #12 of 36 Old 03-01-2015, 07:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quick work of getting this build together. Range report required now.
post #13 of 36 Old 03-02-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks guys. Shot it yesterday. Just a function check. I ran 2 mags through it. No hiccups and shoots smooth.
Once the weather gets a little nicer, I'll zero it and have a better report.

☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
post #14 of 36 Old 03-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Rock God

Sweet looking AR you got there. Ya know, it would be even lighter with a 12.5" barrel or even lighter with a 10.5"

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
post #15 of 36 Old 03-04-2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkx0778 View Post
Sweet looking AR you got there. Ya know, it would be even lighter with a 12.5" barrel or even lighter with a 10.5"
Thanks
of course it would... but I happen to live in a non-NFA state.

☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
post #16 of 36 Old 03-06-2015, 07:33 AM
Rock God

Sorry MB. Sux to be you

I just had another STAMP come in... 9mm goodness sometime next week... my 4" 9mm upper should be coming in next week too

I do like that OD green furniture and do miss the accuracy of a 16" upper. I might have to build me another 16" upper like yours... nah, more likely a 14.5"

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
post #17 of 36 Old 03-06-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks man. The 9mm build sounds nice. You should post it up.

Yeah. Illinois sux. Just happy we're finally late to the party and got CCW.
I could technically do a short barreled AR, but I'm not sold on the whole AR pistol idea. The only reason I'd have one of those is it'd be legal to keep it loaded in my jeep with my CCW.

☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
post #18 of 36 Old 03-06-2015, 01:13 PM
Wheeler

cool build!

Was surprised how easy it is to do the lower as well! I think like 20min

Built my PSA Upper/Spikes Lower for around $600 with mags...almost doesn't pay to buy off the shelf

I sell cool shiny things
post #19 of 36 Old 03-15-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

had nice weather today. a little windy, but warm at least.

I got to zero the new AR. I went out to my boss's cabin. There's a nice 100 yd range out there. I took one of my target stands I built last year.

I did a 50 yd zero on this one. I used a 25 yd target calibrated for a 50 yd zero. My reasoning for 50 yd zero is I figure my primary use for this AR will be engaging targets out to 200 yd max (no magnified optics).

I shot a couple 5 shot groups at 50 yards after I finished zeroing both the BUIS and the Eotech. See attached pics.
My groups aren't incredible by any means, but I'm definitely happy. Not making excuses, but I should have taken my glasses (astigmatism) and the wind was making my eyes water..

For reference, the targets are printed on regular 8.5x11 paper. The 10 ring is exactly 1 inch. Not sure why the pics are rotated after I uploaded them. tilt your head to the left...

Overall I'm very pleased with this build. So far it seems incredibly reliable (I probably put 100 rds through it today. Not one single malfunction. ) and it's as accurate as I am.
Attached Images

☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
post #20 of 36 Old 03-17-2015, 09:43 AM
JKO Addict!

if you ask me- that's really good groupings for 50 yards with no magnified optics. Nicely done!
post #21 of 36 Old 03-17-2015, 02:22 PM

Nice build! BCM uppers are top notch and the carbine gas system will eat up anything you put through it.
post #22 of 36 Old 03-17-2015, 02:36 PM
Rock God

I have a general question. What's the difference between a 16" carbine barrel and a 16" SOCOM barrel?

BCM has both models same price. I don't know much about an AR's. Some learning would be good.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #23 of 36 Old 03-17-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
I have a general question. What's the difference between a 16" carbine barrel and a 16" SOCOM barrel?

BCM has both models same price. I don't know much about an AR's. Some learning would be good.
The SOCOM profile barrels are "heavy" under the handguards versus the standard government profile barrel which are turned down / contoured to reduce weight.

The benefit to a heavy barrel is that they take longer to heat up during full auto or sustained rapid fire. I can't afford mag dumps at today's ammo prices so I find the standard or lightweight profile barrel ideal.

Last edited by SEVN62; 03-17-2015 at 04:54 PM.
post #24 of 36 Old 03-17-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
if you ask me- that's really good groupings for 50 yards with no magnified optics. Nicely done!
Thanks. I guess I'm used to seeing groups posted on other gun forums which make mine look not so good. lol.
As long as I can hit a 1 pound jar of tannerite at 100 yds off-hand in one shot I'm happy (impresses the coworkers at the company stag shoot). Just gotta remember the 6:00 hold at that distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVN62 View Post
Nice build! BCM uppers are top notch and the carbine gas system will eat up anything you put through it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVN62 View Post
The SOCOM profile barrels are "heavy" under the handguards versus the standard government profile barrel which are turned down / contoured to reduce weight.

The benefit to a heavy barrel is that they take longer to heat up during full auto or sustained rapid fire. I can't afford mag dumps at today's ammo prices so I find the standard or lightweight profile barrel ideal.
Yep. The more I had read about BCM when researching parts, the more I really didn't want to miss the free BCG/compensator deal.
I opted for the standard profile on this. My Rock River Elite Operator II (hate the name, love the rifle) already has a heavy profile barrel. Taking that into account, as well as the free-float hand guard and nice 2-stage trigger, the RR will make a much better bench-rest shooter after I add magnified optics to it.

I'm liking the lighter weight of this build for every day target practice... especially when shooting off-hand... my arms don't get nearly as fatigued.

☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
post #25 of 36 Old 03-18-2015, 09:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjeepxj View Post
Thanks. I guess I'm used to seeing groups posted on other gun forums which make mine look not so good. lol.
As long as I can hit a 1 pound jar of tannerite at 100 yds off-hand in one shot I'm happy (impresses the coworkers at the company stag shoot). Just gotta remember the 6:00 hold at that distance

Zombie Apocalypse... Zombie at 50yds... All your shots hit the head... I see no problem there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode