How often do you change out your daily carry ammo ? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

How often do you change out your daily carry ammo ?

When I go to the range I change out my daily carry Hornady critical defense to whatever is on sale that week and reload the Hornady`s when I`m done . How long should they go for ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Wheeler

That's a matter of comfort more than anything. I generally try to throw my carry ammo downrange about once a quarter. More than anything, the largest issue with continual carry ammo is if you're continuing to re-chamber the same round... bullet setback due to repeated chambering can be an issue (as in, kaboom issue)
post #3 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Wheeler

Trying to save money on something that you are entrusting your families lives on is crazy. Train with your carry ammo, that way you know how it shoots and you always have fresh ammo in your magazines. Can't afford it? Really?

Stupid should hurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 06:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfSanders View Post
Trying to save money on something that you are entrusting your families lives on is crazy. Train with your carry ammo, that way you know how it shoots and you always have fresh ammo in your magazines. Can't afford it? Really?
I see the logic in what you're saying...

For 100 rounds of .45 ball, I can drop 45 bucks. For 100 rounds of .45 Defender, it's more like 110. I'm not sure where the balance of many rounds for familiarization and fun versus few rounds for ammo for confirmation lies.

OP, I burn through my defense rounds every 6 months or so. I'm sure they'd hold on for longer, but I do believe in using your defense ammo every now and again to make sure that you're proficient in it; also that your weapon likes to feed it without jamming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #5 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

mmmmm no , Im not going to target shoot with $1 a piece ammo until its time to swap out . I`m pretty sure how it reacts though so dont fret . Click , boom um yep thats it
post #6 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

but I do believe in using your defense ammo every now and again to make sure that you're proficient in it; also that your weapon likes to feed it without jamming.[/QUOTE]

Agreed
post #7 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 07:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Clear carry ammo about every 6 months for me. I even switch out my chambered round every few weeks with my carry magazine rounds. I don't keep strict track of which round has been chambered but just mix it up.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-02-2014, 05:40 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofrog View Post
mmmmm no , Im not going to target shoot with $1 a piece ammo until its time to swap out . I`m pretty sure how it reacts though so dont fret . Click , boom um yep thats it
No fret from me. You aren't my responsibility. Big boy rules when you have to go to guns and your statement tells me you aren't serious about your responsibilities. Peace be with you my friend, as you are most assuredly not ready for anything else.

Stupid should hurt
post #9 of 15 Old 11-02-2014, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

always one
post #10 of 15 Old 11-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Wheeler

I shoot very frequently so I change my carry ammo often. It's the first magazine I fire.

2012 JKU Sahara Dozer Orange
USMC/OIF Vet
post #11 of 15 Old 11-07-2014, 08:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Call me crazy, but after initial training and reliability cycles, I don't change my defensive ammo. Basically I drop the mag and fire the one in the pipe, since it may have encountered setback or scoring while chambering, and throw ball ammo in for range time. The way I see it, training with the sidearm itself is by far the most important element. As for the ammo itself, it's the highest quality stuff and doesn't expire, so why change it. It's not tarnished or corroded or otherwise compromised, so why bother? Besides, while the +P HST I use is fine to manage in the little nine, in the compact 45 the stuff is pretty punishing.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #12 of 15 Old 11-07-2014, 06:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I shoot way too much to shoot my carry ammo. I rotate the chambered round to the bottom of the mag and mark with a sharpie once a month . When all rds have a sharpie mark I shoot them. Anytime I get a new carry gun I shoot a box of whatever carry ammo I'm gonna use in it to check function.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #13 of 15 Old 11-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Granite Guru

I have plenty of mags so my carry mags are almost never used for range time. But, that first round will be fired every 2 or 3 months. I shoot Freedom Munitions ammo which for the .40 shoots the same as my Ranger T-Series ammo, so there's no need to practice or "train" with the more expensive stuff.

2012 Silver Rubi. AEV 2.5" lift, JCR Dagger front bumper, Superwinch EPI 9, JCR engine skid, ACE side steps, RR 7" HID lights, Wired HDH switch panel
formerly- 2001 Yellow XJ, 7" longarm, lockers, bumper, winch, armor, lights, etc
post #14 of 15 Old 11-16-2014, 05:41 AM
Rock God

ahh I heard guns are dangerous.
this modern ammo aint your great grand pappy's cap and ball ammo lol.
from 20 yards on in my practice cheapo ammo pokes holes in paper the exact same as my critical defense ammo does. That said even tho I am blind in one eye and can't really see all that well out of the other and can't shoot worth shit the Glock 42 sure finds paper easily for a little gat. This is the first rounds down the pipe from 7-15yards.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Granite Guru

Well I've shoot a few rounds in my time. when I worked as a police officer we changed our duty once a year. Seeing that the only time my gun was unloaded was to clean it and when I went to the range (on my own) I never saw the need to shoot my duty ammo. I also saved my duty ammo and used the department issue practice ammo when I had to go qualify. I never had or have have had an issue with bullet setback but have seen some 380 Auto ammo that did have some bullet setback.

I've been carrying the same ammo for nearly 10 years now (some of it is even old duty ammo). I know where it shoots, how it shoots, and that it will shoot when I need it to. I does get rotated to new mags every few months.

Jadmt, that's some pretty good shooting with that little gun. I've been thinking about getting one for summer time carry as I have a hard time hiding my Glock 22, 23, and 35.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode