AK-47 vs AK-74? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 09-27-2014, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

AK-47 vs AK-74?

Anyone have experience with both? Looking to add an AK to my range visits and not sure which to get.

I know the 74 is:

lighter
smaller round
faster round
flatter trajectory
longer effective range
tighter MOA
cheaper round

Since the 47 was basically redesigned for more accuracy in full fire (from my research), and full fire is not a factor for me, should I stick with the tried and true 47?

I would love to hear opinions from anyone who is familiar with both of these weapons.

Thanks.

2014 JK Sport, auto, 35x12.5x17, 3.73s.

I jeep therefore I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Rock God

I've had little hands-on with the 47 and none with the 74, but I like the idea of the 74.

As with most questions of this nature, it comes down to what you're going to do with it. So...
Are you going to the range to practice marksmanship or just to spread lead?

The reason I ask is, a question of accurate ammo comes up.
Do either firearms have match-grade ammo readily available?

As a for instance, say my AR shoots 2.5" groups at 100 yds with run-of-the-mill ammo. I will not be able to practice marksmanship with that ammo. So, unless I'm using match-grade stuff (which is readily available), I don't even bother with sharpshooting skills. To me, this means I'm not gonna get better at shooting, but I will get more acquainted with my rifle.

The AK family of firearms has a lot of interesting offspring but if I can't hit my POA due to a lack of precision ammo...
"Only accurate rifles are interesting" is an oft repeated quote, but you'll never know which one is accurate if you can't find the appropriate ammo.

My personal opinion...
I have a high appreciation for the design aspects of the AK family of firearms but, being a Cold War vet, I'll be god-damned if I buy any Russian or Chinese ammo. Keep those dollars at home.

I've heard the best ammo for the 74 is Hornady Vmax but I'm not interested enough in the AKs to know.

Last edited by funfred; 09-27-2014 at 09:26 AM.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-27-2014, 09:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

One of each

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-27-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
I've had little hands-on with the 47 and none with the 74, but I like the idea of the 74.

As with most questions of this nature, it comes down to what you're going to do with it. So...
Are you going to the range to practice marksmanship or just to spread lead?

Practice marksmanship on the cheap. I'm not a competition shooter but if I can't get it down to 2" groups at 100 yards, then GTFO.

The reason I ask is, a question of accurate ammo comes up.
Do either firearms have match-grade ammo readily available?

I usually get Soviet surplus. If I shot competitively that would be a factor. But I really just plink with a serious attitude.

As a for instance, say my AR shoots 2.5" groups at 100 yds with run-of-the-mill ammo. I will not be able to practice marksmanship with that ammo. So, unless I'm using match-grade stuff (which is readily available), I don't even bother with sharpshooting skills. To me, this means I'm not gonna get better at shooting, but I will get more acquainted with my rifle.

Well I guess I'm not going for sharpshooter then. I don't spray and pray. I relax, pay attention to my breathing, and try to get the best group possible. That said. I also want it to be fun. Some long rifles just bring the smiles and that's what I'm looking for.

The AK family of firearms has a lot of interesting offspring but if I can't hit my POA due to a lack of precision ammo...
"Only accurate rifles are interesting" is an oft repeated quote, but you'll never know which one is accurate if you can't find the appropriate ammo.

That's true. I have a SIG-516 that is a nail driver at 100 yards (with the eotech). I have long range bolt action rifles for when I am feeling my oats, shooting 3 to 6 hundred yards. My range has a thousand yard setup which I haven't visited yet. I like bolt action for that stuff. I just want a tight 2" group at 100 yards with cheap ammo. Damn, maybe I'm asking too much.

My personal opinion...
I have a high appreciation for the design aspects of the AK family of firearms but, being a Cold War vet, I'll be god-damned if I buy any Russian or Chinese ammo. Keep those dollars at home.

That I understand and thank-you for your service. I'm not a vet, age fell between wars, but I see their loss (they did loose the cold war, IMO) as my gain. Anytime I can take ammo away from a Russian, I'm good with it. The AK 74 ammo is 225 for 1050 rounds and the 47 ammo is 275 for 880 rounds, not enough of a difference to rule either out. Pretty much the same price range as my Mosin ammo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
One of each
hahaha. I hear ya. But which would you buy first?

I jeep therefore I am.

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-27-2014 at 03:58 PM.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Wheeler

I've messed with both and have had two of the 47s. Imo, the 5.45mm 74 isn't all that smart of an option anymore due to 7n6 being banned and the current production stuff being higher than 7.62x39 and is about the same price as steel .223, just inferior...

I'd go with a 47 simply because AKs aren't all that accurate to begin with and I'm partial to x39 also particularly, I'd look at yugos if you're on a budget, and a Vepr if you've got a little more cash to spend.

Also, there are .223 AKs but other than the yugo M85 "pistol" there's pretty much just Arsenals and they're pricey but they are reasonably accurate, usually under 2 or 2.5 MOA but keep in mind I hate ARs.. and usually not and .223/5.56 nut... The only .223 rifle I own is an 18" Tavor and I love it even though lol
post #6 of 20 Old 09-28-2014, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider14 View Post
I've messed with both and have had two of the 47s. Imo, the 5.45mm 74 isn't all that smart of an option anymore due to 7n6 being banned and the current production stuff being higher than 7.62x39 and is about the same price as steel .223, just inferior...

I'd go with a 47 simply because AKs aren't all that accurate to begin with and I'm partial to x39 also particularly, I'd look at yugos if you're on a budget, and a Vepr if you've got a little more cash to spend.

Also, there are .223 AKs but other than the yugo M85 "pistol" there's pretty much just Arsenals and they're pricey but they are reasonably accurate, usually under 2 or 2.5 MOA but keep in mind I hate ARs.. and usually not and .223/5.56 nut... The only .223 rifle I own is an 18" Tavor and I love it even though lol
My wife and I were discussing it last night and I pretty much settled on the 47. Your response put the final nail in the coffin for the 74. It's good to know that the Yugos are okay since so many countries have made them and I wasn't sure which were good and which weren't.

I do have a VEPR-12 which I am very happy with. So now the search begins.

Thanks, Raider.

I jeep therefore I am.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post

My wife and I were discussing it last night and I pretty much settled on the 47. Your response put the final nail in the coffin for the 74. It's good to know that the Yugos are okay since so many countries have made them and I wasn't sure which were good and which weren't.

I do have a VEPR-12 which I am very happy with. So now the search begins.

Thanks, Raider.
No problem man, and you can't go wrong with the Yugos and they are a very good buy. Just keep in mind that they aren't your "standard" AK, the handguards and some other stuff are a little different but they still take the same mags, pistol grips, ect. But overall, it's no big deal.

Also, if you haven't looked into them, I'd also highly recommend the century VZ2008. They're a czech VZ58 parts kit builds and a little cheaper and are AMAZING guns if you are ok with not being all that optics ready, aka iron sights or forward mounted stuff only (you'll need a smith to add the rear mount for standard eye relief stuff). They're lighter and more accurate than an AK while still being x39

They are one of the best value semi auto rifles on the market at the moment. They'll be about 5-600 and should come with at least 4 mags. Just keep in mind they do take a proprietary mag... but I'd highly recommend them. I'm picking one up when I can afford to, just thought I'd mention them. But no matter what, either way you'll be a very happy dude. AK's and just com bloc guns in general are very very additive lol
post #8 of 20 Old 09-29-2014, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Will do. I have plenty of time to research since I'm not in any hurry.

Thanks again.

I jeep therefore I am.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Wheeler

I would say take a look at the price and availability of magazines and ammo that you will be shooting for a 74 vs a 47. Lets say you pick a 74 version but find magazines super rare and ammo is crazy expensive, all of a sudden its not that enjoyable to shoot anymore. And this comparison that you make has to be for where you live. You can't take an internet replay where someone says their LGS has ammo dirt cheap because that is not a supply and price that you will be getting.

I have stayed with the 47 version because I already have many magazines that I can use across multiple AK's. If I got a 74 then I have to start and stock new ammo/magazines. Not really an issue but it is a change that I have not had to make when it comes to shooting the AK's.

Last edited by megawatt; 10-03-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: linky fix
post #10 of 20 Old 10-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Wheeler

I have an AK in 762, 556, & 545. The 545 is a blast, but it is the last one I would choose, primarily because the mags are less plentiful and the cheap ammo will soon be gone due to the steel core ban on milsurp 545 and the current Russian embargo.

762 is the way to go, but I see the platform moving to the 556 in The US. 922r compliance and the current adminisstration is making importation of quality foreign AKs more and more difficult. We will see a better domestic AK made in the next 5 years and many of those companies (Rifle Dynamics) have decided to start making their own product rather than be at the mercy of importation laws.
Inevitably, some of those companies will start making the AK in 556 to appeal to the familiarity of US shooters.

Just my 2 cents.

Pat
2012 MT6 Unlimited Rubicon stock
2004 UZJ100 stock
Past:
2007 FJ MT6 OME 33's
1995 FZJ 80 OME, Locked w/ 33's
1985 Toy Truck
post #11 of 20 Old 10-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Wheeler

Megawatt, kick ass rifle! Is that a Jim Fuller special.

Pat
2004 UZJ100 stock
Past:
2007 FJ MT6 OME 33's
1985 Toy Truck
post #12 of 20 Old 10-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Wheeler

Raider14,

You are 100% correct about the VZ's. I just got one and it rocks! Who would have thought a "cheap" rifle could be so much fun. The bolt even stays open after the last round.

Best purchase for the money next to a Yugo AK.

Pat
2004 UZJ100 stock
Past:
2007 FJ MT6 OME 33's
1985 Toy Truck
post #13 of 20 Old 10-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Wheeler

AKM* should be your first choice. The only reason (IMO) to get an AK is because the 7.62x39 round absolutely destroys targets. You don't buy an AK to be accurate, it is a down and dirty battle rifle that will take a beating and still shoot. Because your target will be closer you need the round that puts them down on the first shot. AKs are a blast because of this. ARs are stand-off rifles, not so great close in due to the round size. This is what the AK-74 was trying to replicate, but not so well. You do not by an AK to do precision shooting... Plus 7.62x39 ammo is the most plentiful in surplus!

*AKM = "Modernized" AK - 7.62. Most AK-47s are actually AKMs, as the original AK-47 ended production sometime in the mid-50's. The main difference is weight: stamped receiver (lighter than milled. Although the original Type I AK-47 was also stamped.), lighter profile barrel.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-20-2014, 11:02 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdiggler View Post
Megawatt, kick ass rifle! Is that a Jim Fuller special.
Yup sure is. I have three of his masterpieces. I live five miles away from his shop.

post #15 of 20 Old 11-21-2014, 05:10 AM
JKO Addict!

I love the "accuracy" comments Evey AK I have ever built (even ones using slightly crusty non chrome lined barrels) will hit a man sized target at 300yd all day long if you do your part. I have a few AMD's that will group a dinner plate at the same with just a Aimpoint.

Decide how accurate YOU are and how accurate you need to be with a weapon.

as for 74 or 47? I can't get 74 ammo as much as I like so I don't own any more....instead I built a few in 5.56
post #16 of 20 Old 12-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Granite Guru

There is a lot of crappy AKs out there, just like there is a lot of crappy everything else.
If you get one of the good ones (not necessarily expensive) you will have a rifle that will serve you well.

For instance even some of the Norincos have gotten a BAD RAP.
This one is accurate to MOA, and doesn't droop the barrel on the bipod after 90 rounds+. I had 2 other ones I couldn't say that about.

post #17 of 20 Old 12-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Granite Guru

Another photo with the PKA sight.

This particular Arsenal is also very good.

post #18 of 20 Old 12-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Granite Guru

As far as the title of this thread, I have found the Soviet 5.45 round to be pretty good, but all my AKs are 7.62X39.
Except for the Valmet 78, in .308. Not exactly a sniper rifle but good accuracy never the less.

post #19 of 20 Old 12-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Granite Guru

And with the Galil 25 round mags (which do require light mods).

post #20 of 20 Old 12-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Wheeler

The Finns built an awesome rifle. I am jealous!

Pat
2004 UZJ100 stock
Past:
2007 FJ MT6 OME 33's
1985 Toy Truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode