Tannerite - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-23-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wilmington, DE
Age: 35
Posts: 120
Feedback: 0 reviews
Tannerite

While out in Moab last week, we took a day off to do laundry and buy t-shirts... I got bored and decided to check out the local gun shop (Winnco?) and saw that they carried Tannerite. I said that I'd buy some if there was a local place to shoot it. The sales guy drew me a map to the box canyons the locals use just a few minutes away from the store. Awesome!

I bought a 4-pack "brick" and a box of cheap 5.56 (didn't want to use the v-max and m855 I had in my mags) and headed for the "range". Took a few rounds to hit the first bottle, I guess the scope got knocked around a bit too much in the soft case. Had to aim around 8" low-left. Once I figured out the deal, set up my camera to record one... this isn't something we get to do in my area unless you have a buddy with a lot of land.

Video link... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D91NevLkt3I

I know, I know... it's nothing special for you lucky folks who get to play with this all the time, but for an east-coaster, this was a nice experience. Just wish I had bought more to make a 5lb target or something for a bigger boom. My buddy said he could feel it, but I was prone behind a rock and didn't feel anything although I was around 75 feet closer.

Anybody else have a Tannerite (or similar) video to share?

2012 Silver Rubi. AEV 2.5" lift, JCR Dagger front bumper, Superwinch EPI 9, JCR engine skid, ACE side steps, RR 7" HID lights, Wired HDH switch panel
formerly- 2001 Yellow XJ, 7" longarm, lockers, bumper, winch, armor, lights, etc
whatevah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 09-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Rock God
 
BigTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW OH
Posts: 1,147
Feedback: 0 reviews

Fun stuff. Here's a video I made a while back. My brother in law just got done sighting in his new .308 and I shot the first little bottle and it was awesome. Then I set up the camera for him while he stuffed a little bottle of the stuff into a watermelon. The video is poor because, even though it doesn't look like it in the video, it was dusk and the light was almost gone (and when a camera cranks the sensitivity, quality plummets). Camera was sitting on a five gallon bucket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS9EcVwbWoo

Edit: I can't remember if I could feel it or not, but you can see the camera shake (the camera was a lot closer than we were).
BigTB is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 09-23-2014, 08:46 PM
JKO Addict!
 
leman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Guntersville
Age: 29
Posts: 2,907
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Fun stuff. I usually get shockwave around here. Normally blast a bunch of it on the 4th

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
leman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 09-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Rock God
 
jrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Age: 43
Posts: 1,195
Feedback: 1 reviews

Guaranteed to make a grown man giggle! Definitely more fun to blow something up but respect it and watch for flying debris.

Best one I think I ever shot was an old elk carcass we found out wheeling. Mixed up a couple pounds and shot from about 75 yards out, rained bad jerky and bone on us for several seconds. I have it on video somewhere. I'll have to look for it.

The thing that pisses me off is seeing a bunch of dumb asses almost killing themselves with it then posting it on youtube. For sure way to get the stuff banned.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jrider is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 09-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Rock God
 
azoth99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Age: 44
Posts: 575
Feedback: 0 reviews

Supposedly you can order it thru the mail to your doorstep.

FPSRussia (yuotube video channel) did a video about it, went to the factory etc....


2014 JKU Rubicon, 2007 Superbee #692/1000, BMC Hooligan (my chopper yea it's a Rigid)
"There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."
- Ronald Reagan 40th President of the United States (1981-1989)
azoth99 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Rock God
 
jrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Age: 43
Posts: 1,195
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoth99 View Post
Supposedly you can order it thru the mail to your doorstep.

FPSRussia (yuotube video channel) did a video about it, went to the factory etc....
"I know a guy" that used to buy it in bulk and have it shipped 100lbs at a time to his door back before you could find it in gun shops and farm and garden stores. Daniel Tanner lives in Oregon and used to have a build it yourself fireworks supply webpage before Tannerite.com. I know that's where it used to ship out of.
Attached Images
 

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jrider is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 09-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 31
Feedback: 0 reviews

Anyone here messed with a load of more than 5lbs? I did 3lbs (after screwing up two 1lb bags, just acted like a firecracker on steroids) at about 50ft (bad idea, big boom, stuff flying everywhere LOL)...

But after seeing 50lbs in a crown vic on YouTube, I kinda wanna do the same to an old 98 blazer that my "buddy" dumped on my place...

Last edited by Raider14; 09-26-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Raider14 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 09-26-2014, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wilmington, DE
Age: 35
Posts: 120
Feedback: 0 reviews

Gotta say, I'm jealous of you guys

I dunno when I'll make it out to Moab again, but if I do... I'll buy a lot more (and a much better scope). I saw a rimfire mix at the TrueValue store in town, too. Had to stop in for a 18mm ratchet wrench and saw it on a shelf endcap.

2012 Silver Rubi. AEV 2.5" lift, JCR Dagger front bumper, Superwinch EPI 9, JCR engine skid, ACE side steps, RR 7" HID lights, Wired HDH switch panel
formerly- 2001 Yellow XJ, 7" longarm, lockers, bumper, winch, armor, lights, etc
whatevah is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 09-26-2014, 11:31 AM
Rock God
 
BigTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW OH
Posts: 1,147
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevah View Post
Gotta say, I'm jealous of you guys

I dunno when I'll make it out to Moab again, but if I do... I'll buy a lot more (and a much better scope). I saw a rimfire mix at the TrueValue store in town, too. Had to stop in for a 18mm ratchet wrench and saw it on a shelf endcap.
That video I posted was the only time I've used it. Not many people around here are too keen about you setting off explosives on their property. Lots of places sell it, but I don't have the property myself to use it.

Fun stuff though, when used safely.
BigTB is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 09-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Rock God
 
azoth99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Age: 44
Posts: 575
Feedback: 0 reviews

You REALLY NEED to be careful. Yea yea yea obviously right. But what most good ol boys don't know how to do is CALCULATE BLAST / FRAG distances with explosive.

Short meaning, if I have XX amount of explosive how far away do I need to be so I don't get myself, or anyone around you KILLED OR INJURED.

Especially when using explosives with something that produces frag. I've seen way to many videos where Rosco thinks he's far enough away shoots a car packed full of explosives and just gets plain lucky the piece of shrapnel go whizzing by them instead of into them or their buddy. Always start small and work your way up, without frag producing items. Then if you really feel the need start small frag then go up. You need to be farther away than you probably realize.

Basic rule of thumb. If you can see the explosion/ frag it can see you. Use a video camera and stay out of sight.

O.k. I'm done being the E.O.D. tech for now have fun


Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider14 View Post
Anyone here messed with a load of more than 5lbs? I did 3lbs (after screwing up two 1lb bags, just acted like a firecracker on steroids) at about 50ft (bad idea, big boom, stuff flying everywhere LOL)...

But after seeing 50lbs in a crown vic on YouTube, I kinda wanna do the same to an old 98 blazer that my "buddy" dumped on my place...


2014 JKU Rubicon, 2007 Superbee #692/1000, BMC Hooligan (my chopper yea it's a Rigid)
"There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."
- Ronald Reagan 40th President of the United States (1981-1989)
azoth99 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 09-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 31
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoth99 View Post
You REALLY NEED to be careful. Yea yea yea obviously right. But what most good ol boys don't know how to do is CALCULATE BLAST / FRAG distances with explosive.

Short meaning, if I have XX amount of explosive how far away do I need to be so I don't get myself, or anyone around you KILLED OR INJURED.

Especially when using explosives with something that produces frag. I've seen way to many videos where Rosco thinks he's far enough away shoots a car packed full of explosives and just gets plain lucky the piece of shrapnel go whizzing by them instead of into them or their buddy. Always start small and work your way up, without frag producing items. Then if you really feel the need start small frag then go up. You need to be farther away than you probably realize.

Basic rule of thumb. If you can see the explosion/ frag it can see you. Use a video camera and stay out of sight.

O.k. I'm done being the E.O.D. tech for now have fun


Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider14 View Post
Anyone here messed with a load of more than 5lbs? I did 3lbs (after screwing up two 1lb bags, just acted like a firecracker on steroids) at about 50ft (bad idea, big boom, stuff flying everywhere LOL)...

But after seeing 50lbs in a crown vic on YouTube, I kinda wanna do the same to an old 98 blazer that my "buddy" dumped on my place...
Of course man! I was thinking a couple hundred yards minimum but there's a 99% chance it'll never happen.. mainly cause I don't wanna pick up the pieces... lol but hey, one can imagine!
Raider14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome