Training - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-27-2014, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Training

so who all takes formal training classes?

i just got done with my 3rd from 3 rivers training. I really like the instructor john brown. I've taken his combat pistol, ccw, and this was his citizen response to active shooter.

http://forum.pafoa.org/training-tact...ml#post2820670

that's the after action report. if you're in the area i recommend them. I need to get a carbine and shotgun class in next. they were just lower on the list for me since realistically my pistol is the firearm i will have if i ever really need it.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-28-2014, 08:39 AM
JKO Addict!

I really want to take some training. But with my daughter just entering college (and daddy is footing the bill) money is a bit tight, and the training courses aren't cheap around here.

I have participated in a Tactical competition once. And when you talk about shooting on the move- yeah, that shit is hard to do! I missed my targets more often than I want to admit. Once you attempt shooting on the move, you have a better understanding why cops fire so many shots that miss. It really is a different animal trying to keep a sight picture while moving

Last edited by N2rock; 08-28-2014 at 08:42 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-29-2014, 05:34 AM
Wheeler

I train a few times a year. Once you get introduced into formalized training you get to learn how much you don't know. Now a days I do classes where the range is hot (everyone is "lock & loaded"), dynamic movements on the firing line, and point shoot progressions (PSP classes).

In two weeks I get to take a long awaited knife fighting class taught by Tom Sotis who is flying in from the East Coast. A knife class would be a good suggestion IMO because most people carry a knife in places and times where they don't have a firearm. For instance I can't carry a gun at work but I always have a folder on me at work and its not a problem.

Congrats on taking training classes I think they are a lot of fun and eye opening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-29-2014, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

It's amazing how much your outlook on things change. my gear has drastically changed and my outlook on things has also changed.

people always get hung up on the cost of training. Which i don't get. How much did you spend in college? This is a class that teaches you how to fight for your life. You'd think people would figure out it's worth the $.

and like you said, once you get formalized training, there's no going back. i made more progress my first training class than i made the first 10 years of shooting.

post #5 of 8 Old 08-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Rock God

After I did quite a bit of training. I started getting into smaller pistol comps around locally where I was stationed. I took my step-son and taught him some of the techniques I learned. Then had him do the local comps as well. Great way to spend some quality father son time by the way. When he went into boot camp he out shot most everyone including the instructors.

Training and classes are great, but, if you don't practice you will loose it. When you practice what you've trained in a semi-stressful & stressful environment such as competitive shooting it gets 100 times better. If you haven't, look into the USPSA.com and others as well.

I say USPSA because anyone no matter what firearm you own, can shoot there. Not to take anything away from other competitive shooting organizations out there, as anything is better than just taking a class and thinking you are all good to go after that.

My blackwater (when it was called that) instructor told us all a story first thing. He was a Ranger shot well. Got out went to do local comps and was blown away at how "bad" he was compared to all the civilians who shot competitively. He thought he was hot shit at first coming from a military background and shot quite a bit. His eyes were opened. So take a class no matter what your background is. You will learn something. After my classes, I definitely out shot all the Marines I deployed with. They were quite upset the squid out shot them all. lol....

2014 JKU Rubicon, 2007 Superbee #692/1000, BMC Hooligan (my chopper yea it's a Rigid)
"There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."
- Ronald Reagan 40th President of the United States (1981-1989)
post #6 of 8 Old 09-07-2014, 04:32 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoth99 View Post
After I did quite a bit of training. I started getting into smaller pistol comps around locally where I was stationed. I took my step-son and taught him some of the techniques I learned. Then had him do the local comps as well. Great way to spend some quality father son time by the way. When he went into boot camp he out shot most everyone including the instructors.

Training and classes are great, but, if you don't practice you will loose it. When you practice what you've trained in a semi-stressful & stressful environment such as competitive shooting it gets 100 times better. If you haven't, look into the USPSA.com and others as well.

I say USPSA because anyone no matter what firearm you own, can shoot there. Not to take anything away from other competitive shooting organizations out there, as anything is better than just taking a class and thinking you are all good to go after that.

My blackwater (when it was called that) instructor told us all a story first thing. He was a Ranger shot well. Got out went to do local comps and was blown away at how "bad" he was compared to all the civilians who shot competitively. He thought he was hot shit at first coming from a military background and shot quite a bit. His eyes were opened. So take a class no matter what your background is. You will learn something. After my classes, I definitely out shot all the Marines I deployed with. They were quite upset the squid out shot them all. lol....
I have had similar experience with my soon to be son in law. He is a captain in the army, wears a green beret and all that. He would shoot an occasional idpa match and did pretty well at it. I shoot at least 2 uspsa matches a month and normally I shoot 4 a month. I am 20 years older and a fat bastard to boot. He was always talking shit about the Marine Corps and of course I enjoy that tremendously. Well, one weekend I went down, at his invitation, to Dunn NC where they shoot and took my little HK45c and spanked his young ass. It was a wonderful moment for me and an eye opener to him. He has shot uspsa with me a couple of times when they were up for the weekend. Whooped that ass every time. I am a C class shooter on the verge of B class. There are 3 more levels above b class so I am just an average shooter. In his defense, they shoot far more rifle than pistol, I did shoot with a couple of very serious looking dudes from Bragg that were my age and were E8's (Master Sgt?) They pretty much spanked every one but a few Master and Grand master shooters. I think the shooting sports are a great way to become more proficient with a hand gun plus, it is a metric shit ton of fun. Formal classes are a great way to learn tactics. If you carry a hand gun, I highly suggest you find a local match and try it out. It's well worth the $20 match fee. I reload so my round expenditure only cost me about$16 to $20 pert match

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Wheeler

We all need to take some training. Fun does not even begin to describe it.

post #8 of 8 Old 10-06-2014, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

http://www.3riverstraining.com/news/...me-defense-cqb

this should be good. just signed up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode