Bear Gun? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-28-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
SCARDUP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 37
Posts: 540
Feedback: 0 reviews
Bear Gun?

Anybody done the 460 Rowland or 10mm conversion to their glock 21 or 30? If so, which barrel and spring did you go with and how snappy were the results? I've done a fair amount of research on glock forums and hear the 10mm barrel with a 22lb spring and a g20 mag works fine for some and not so fine for others. Seeking some input from my trusted JKO friends.

"CUTTS CREW"
07 Unlimited Sport
Snork
Bunch of Other Stuff
SCARDUP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 07-28-2014, 06:13 PM
JKO Addict!
 
jason mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth
Age: 49
Posts: 3,409
Feedback: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARDUP View Post
Anybody done the 460 Rowland or 10mm conversion to their glock 21 or 30? If so, which barrel and spring did you go with and how snappy were the results? I've done a fair amount of research on glock forums and hear the 10mm barrel with a 22lb spring and a g20 mag works fine for some and not so fine for others. Seeking some input from my trusted JKO friends.
Just get the S&W 460 Backpack junior
jason mac is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 07-28-2014, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
SCARDUP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 37
Posts: 540
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason mac View Post
Just get the S&W 460 Backpack junior

I would but I'm tryin to save some dough and use what I already have.

"CUTTS CREW"
07 Unlimited Sport
Snork
Bunch of Other Stuff
SCARDUP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 08-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Age: 52
Posts: 30
Feedback: 0 reviews

FWIW, I have both the 20 & 21. I would advise against converting the 21 to 10mm. My theory is that a converted pistol is never as reliable as the real thing. I did convert my 22 to Sig 357 and it worked flawlessly, but the difference in the 10mm round and 45 acp is more of a stretch. I did put a stronger spring on the 21 and am contemplating getting a Lone Wolf barrel for the 20.

That being said, the performance and stopping power of the 10mm is way better than the 45 acp! (sorry 1911 guys)



I believe the park rangers in Greenland carry 20's primarily for stopping Polar bears. Hope this helps!

Pat
2012 MT6 Unlimited Rubicon stock
2004 UZJ100 stock
Past:
2007 FJ MT6 OME 33's
1995 FZJ 80 OME, Locked w/ 33's
1985 Toy Truck

Last edited by Dirkdiggler; 08-01-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Dirkdiggler is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 08-01-2014, 10:55 PM
JKO Addict!
 
rubirobv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Livermore, CA
Age: 61
Posts: 3,426
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARDUP View Post
Anybody done the 460 Rowland or 10mm conversion to their glock 21 or 30? If so, which barrel and spring did you go with and how snappy were the results? I've done a fair amount of research on glock forums and hear the 10mm barrel with a 22lb spring and a g20 mag works fine for some and not so fine for others. Seeking some input from my trusted JKO friends.
I have a Glock 20. that's the 10mm. I think the factory spring is 17 lbs. I have a 20 lb spring too. I lightened the trigger to about 2-3 lbs. I have the factory barrel and a Lone Wolf 6" barrel. It's a snappy bastard. I didn't realize how snappy until I shot my Ruger Redhawk 44mag with a 7" barrel. Redhawk absorbs recoil very well. Double action trigger is awful at the moment but single action is sweet. I bought my glock to use as a woods gun but I think I'll switch to revolver. I still like to shoot the G20 though. Let me know if you have some free time I'll meet you at the Livermore range. See for yourself. I have everything from 230gr. hard cast to 135gr jhp. Hot to mild. I'll bring the Ruger and my S&W 686/6" barrel in .357 mag. just for fun.
rubirobv is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 08-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Wheeler
 
bfrprr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Montana
Posts: 22
Feedback: 0 reviews

Why not just get some pepper spray, it's proven more affective in close in situations. That's what I carry in griz country when I'm out hunting. If it fails me then it's
bfrprr is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 08-03-2014, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
SCARDUP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 37
Posts: 540
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
I have a Glock 20. that's the 10mm. I think the factory spring is 17 lbs. I have a 20 lb spring too. I lightened the trigger to about 2-3 lbs. I have the factory barrel and a Lone Wolf 6" barrel. It's a snappy bastard. I didn't realize how snappy until I shot my Ruger Redhawk 44mag with a 7" barrel. Redhawk absorbs recoil very well. Double action trigger is awful at the moment but single action is sweet. I bought my glock to use as a woods gun but I think I'll switch to revolver. I still like to shoot the G20 though. Let me know if you have some free time I'll meet you at the Livermore range. See for yourself. I have everything from 230gr. hard cast to 135gr jhp. Hot to mild. I'll bring the Ruger and my S&W 686/6" barrel in .357 mag. just for fun.

I might have to take you up on that sometime Rob, thanks for the offer. I might have some free time soon. I'd like to see how snappy the heavy 10mm loads are before I fork out my hard earned cash.

"CUTTS CREW"
07 Unlimited Sport
Snork
Bunch of Other Stuff
SCARDUP is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 08-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Rock God
 
Guruman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Thompson Falls, Montana
Age: 48
Posts: 1,348
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Glock 20SF 10mm with heavy handloads is what we use here in NW Montana for potential grizzly encounters. .44 mag ballistics with 15 rounds (or 17 with a +2 mag base) if brings the heat when you need it. Big wheelguns are nice, but it's hard to argue with lighter weight and 17 round capacity when in the backcountry.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Guruman is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 08-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Wheeler
 
grimmjeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 81
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
Glock 20SF 10mm with heavy handloads is what we use here in NW Montana for potential grizzly encounters. .44 mag ballistics with 15 rounds (or 17 with a +2 mag base) if brings the heat when you need it. Big wheelguns are nice, but it's hard to argue with lighter weight and 17 round capacity when in the backcountry.
The weight issue is probably more important when you're backpacking but I put my 6" Smith 629 in my Tuffy console with a few speed loaders and I never wished I had a lighter gun with me.

Still, you can't go wrong with either one.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

Try out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
grimmjeeper is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 08-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakley, CA
Age: 42
Posts: 306
Feedback: 0 reviews

Bears?.45 LC out of my super redhawk should do tbe trick. 325grains at 1325 fps is a handfull even from a heavy revolver.

While the 10mm is a great round I just dont think it has the mass to do much against a bear if that bear is looking to make you a meal. If bears are a concern, im carrying a large caliber wheelgun.

I spend quite a bit of time in the sierras and most black bears will take off running if you so much as sneeze. At night i usually leave a small container with an amonia soaked sponge open on top of my cooler. Never had a bear in camp.

Its not a fashion show
Fueler is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Rock God
 
Guruman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Thompson Falls, Montana
Age: 48
Posts: 1,348
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

I do not know of anyone who has actually used a 10mm to stop a bear attack, but the .357 mag has been used many times on black as well as grizzly bears. The hotter 10 mm loads are at least as good as the hottest 357 mag loads and in my opinion are slightly better. The Glock is lighter and easier to carry than any revolver, is more accurate in rapid fire, and carries 15+1 or 17+1 rounds vs 5-6 in a revolver. 18 180 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point (1,350fps/M.E. 728 ft. lbs. from buffalo Bore) rounds in a row will bring a lot of heat to any bear. Even in a 50% miss situation I'd take 8 or 9 730 ft. pound rounds vs 2 or 3 for a big bore wheel gun.

I also think the Glock makes a better outdoors gun. Revolvers are dead reliable as long as they are kept clean. Drop your wheelgun in the mud while the bear is charging, and you'll likely be bear scat tomorrow.

There are bigger guns that bring more energy on target. But, for real world conditions I think the 10mm is a pretty good compromise of power, reliability, capacity and tote-ability, but to each his own. I guess if I knew for sure I'd run into a bear, I'd bring a rifle, but even in these bear infested mountains we only bump into a few each year. The best gun is always the one you have with you when you need it. Hell, when a bear comes around looking to maul and/or eat you, anything is better than throwing rocks.

I have a three step bear defense plan.

1) Wait until a reasonable range, and shoot until I'm out of ammo.
2) Switch to bear spray and wait until it's within 20 feet, and spray away.
3) Lie down and try to taste real bad.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Guruman is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 08-04-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
SCARDUP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 37
Posts: 540
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueler View Post
Bears?.45 LC out of my super redhawk should do tbe trick. 325grains at 1325 fps is a handfull even from a heavy revolver.



While the 10mm is a great round I just dont think it has the mass to do much against a bear if that bear is looking to make you a meal. If bears are a concern, im carrying a large caliber wheelgun.



I spend quite a bit of time in the sierras and most black bears will take off running if you so much as sneeze. At night i usually leave a small container with an amonia soaked sponge open on top of my cooler. Never had a bear in camp.

Im in the sierras a majority of my time out too, but I'm not gonna carry a 6 lb revolver. I've also never seen or heard a bear in the many times I've been out there. On the other hand, I'm not going into the woods with a backpack full of food without a weapon and some bear spray.

"CUTTS CREW"
07 Unlimited Sport
Snork
Bunch of Other Stuff
SCARDUP is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 08-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakley, CA
Age: 42
Posts: 306
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARDUP View Post
I've also never seen or heard a bear in the many times I've been out there. On the other hand, I'm not going into the woods with a backpack full of food without a weapon and some bear spray.
ive seen 3 this year. My wife and I came across a cub and its mama on a fire road between hwy 4 and 108 just two weekends ago. The cub ran up a tree and mama stayed on the ground making all types of noises. Im glad i was in my jeep
Attached Images
 

Its not a fashion show
Fueler is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 08-04-2014, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
SCARDUP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 37
Posts: 540
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueler View Post
ive seen 3 this year. My wife and I came across a cub and its mama on a fire road between hwy 4 and 108 just two weekends ago. The cub ran up a tree and mama stayed on the ground making all types of noises. Im glad i was in my jeep

Well that's great considering I'll be hiking out there by the north fork of the Stanislaus River.

"CUTTS CREW"
07 Unlimited Sport
Snork
Bunch of Other Stuff
SCARDUP is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 08-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakley, CA
Age: 42
Posts: 306
Feedback: 0 reviews
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARDUP View Post
Well that's great considering I'll be hiking out there by the north fork of the Stanislaus River.
There are bears everywhere in the sierras. That mama and cub we ran into were on forest route 5n07e about a half mile south of beaver creek reservoir. Id be more concerned about stepping on a rattlesnake you dont see. Ive seen A LOT of rattlers out this year. Im on high alert looking out for those fuckers all the time now.

Its not a fashion show
Fueler is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 08-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Rock God
 
bgall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,272
Feedback: 0 reviews

The best pistol for hunting bear is one without sights. That way when mr angry bear takes it away (empty, of course) and shoves it up your ass it won't hurt as bad. Seriously, pistol and bear are bad juju. Stick with a decent caliber rifle.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
bgall is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 08-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Rock God
 
Guruman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Thompson Falls, Montana
Age: 48
Posts: 1,348
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews


_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Guruman is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 PM
JKO Addict!
 
rubirobv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Livermore, CA
Age: 61
Posts: 3,426
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
Glock 20SF 10mm with heavy handloads is what we use here in NW Montana for potential grizzly encounters. .44 mag ballistics with 15 rounds (or 17 with a +2 mag base) if brings the heat when you need it. Big wheelguns are nice, but it's hard to argue with lighter weight and 17 round capacity when in the backcountry.
Here in Cali, we can't legally carry more than 10 +1. Thankfully we don't have to worry about Grizzlys, only Black Bear and Mountain Lions. This is the first I've heard of someone using 10mm for Grizzlys. I carry bear spray as well. I've encountered a black bear just once and it ran off. Fueler, it was off hwy 4 above Dorrington off of a forest road.
rubirobv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome