marlin glenfield model 20... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-10-2014, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

marlin glenfield model 20...

Let me start out by saying Ive never had any interest in rifles... sorry until now .A friend gave me the marlin stated above and I'm looking to venture into this possibly with the guidance and knowledge from some members on here .A few simple questions .I know this is a VERY inexpensive rifle and don't want to put much cash into it,I would like to put a simple scope onto it but don't want to break the bank or put on some thing worth more than the rifle itself, what should I look into ?
Ive been looking at the Ruger 10/22 Tactical as a possible 1st purchase if this bug takes hold, and would be interested in a scope for this also...What should I be looking into and price points.At first I was looking at just getting 1 scope and switching it out if I purchased the 10/22 but thinking keeping a cheaper scope on the model 20 and getting a nicer better, quality scope for the 10/22 what should I be looking at for this ?
Any thoughts would be appreciated and if this is the direction I should be going with my purchases ...dont want to waste cash cause of foolish purchases by a dealer just looking for cash on my lack of knowledge also the marlin has a Beaver on the stock and I love me some Beaver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

You are likely to get a thousand opinions. I'd call an expert. I've worked with Scott Berrish from Liberty Optics before. The guy knows more about optics and scopes than most of us ever will and he knows all of the scope makers and designers by name.

Shop Address:

Liberty Optics

601 Main St

Thompson Falls MT 59873

Shop Phone: 406-827-6543

Fax: 763-431-5015

Mailing address for payments:

Liberty Optics

PO Box 175

Thompson Falls MT 59873

[email protected]

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #3 of 5 Old 05-14-2014, 09:16 AM
JKO Addict!

for a .22 rifle, you don't need to spend a ton of money on the scope as the power of the rifle is not likely to damage the internals of the scope.

You can go pretty inexpensive- IE: Walmart sells a decent 4-16x scope for under $75. http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoin...Scope/17173797

I have it on my Ruger 10/22 and it works well, although it's not very clear when I take it up above 12x. But hell, 12x is more than enough for the distances a 10/22 can accurately hit LOL and it holds zero with no issues. That's about as a high of a price I'm willing to go on my 10/22. Since it works well for the 10/22, I see no reason to spend more.

If you want good glass but don't want to spend a ton of money, I highly recommend Primary Arms scopes https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-...opes-s/919.htm.

I have their 4x on one of my AR's, and their 4-14x on my other AR. And those scopes are both clear, accurate, and hold zero with no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-14-2014, 05:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Like N2 said, you don't have to go expensive for the Marlin.

You didn't say at what distances you intend to shoot but a 4X in the 35 dollar range may be enough out to 50 yards.

Once the bug hits and you move on to something else, then build the hell out of it just the way you want. Serious shooters usually replace the stock and trigger and add quality optics for precision.

MikeP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old 07-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Granite Guru

Both my M69 and 10-22 will shoot great groups with scopes under 9x. I have a 1960's era Weaver K4 (fixed 4X) scope on the M69 and a good shooter can nearly put shot after shot on top of one another at 50yds. The clearer the glass the better you'll shoot. Some of the old Weaver scopes had great glass and can still be bought pretty reasonably. They also look great as they're period correct for the older rifles.

If buying new, Redfield (now owned by Leupold) makes some really nice affordable scopes. Burris also makes very good affordable optics. If you can find a 4x Leupold on sale grab it. Even a cheap Tasco 4X scope will work fine on a .22 rifle for hunting at under 50 yds. I'd suggest you check out rimfirecentral.com for more info on scoping a .22 rifle.

Last edited by soonerfan85; 07-23-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode