Ruger GP100 or Taurus Tracker 627? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-05-2014, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ruger GP100 or Taurus Tracker 627?

Getting a new .357 in the next few days. Can decide between these 2... Any opinions or personal experiences? I know the Ruger has a better name but don't know a whole lot about Taurus revolvers. Going with the 4"

Thanks!

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...egory=Revolver

Amp'd 14 JK Unlimited Rubicon | RE 2.5 Lift | RK Control Arms | Poison Spyder Brawler Bumper & Narrow Crusher Flares | JW Speaker Headlights and Tails | Vision-X LEDs | Adams Shafts | Method Mesh Wheels | 35x12.50x17 General Grabber AT2's | SuperChips FlashPaq | Pioneer 8100NEX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Had a Taurus in a 9mm... meh. Sold it. Never had any other Taurus.

My Ruger GP 100 was one of the best revolvers I've ever owned. Flawless performance and a ton of fun to shoot. I was very proficient with that gun as well, but I had it in a 6". I also loved the Hogue grip. Made it that much more comfortable.

I just don't think you can go wrong with the GP 100 no matter the grip or barrel length.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 08:10 AM
Granite Guru

I have a GP100... had it for years. It was my first pistol purchase.
It's a special edition with wood inlay on the grip. Looks exactly like the image below.

It's a great piece for sure. I've shot it a bunch and it still looks brand new.

Never had a Taurus, so I can't give any personal feedback, but I have a friend that has a Taurus .22 revolver and had to send it back twice before it would run reliably... yeah, a revolver.. it kept locking up and the cylinder wouldn't turn.

☀lllllll☀ 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk
☀lllllll☀ 2009 Unlimited X
☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ruger it is... That's what I was leaning towards in the first place, just needed encouragement.

Amp'd 14 JK Unlimited Rubicon | RE 2.5 Lift | RK Control Arms | Poison Spyder Brawler Bumper & Narrow Crusher Flares | JW Speaker Headlights and Tails | Vision-X LEDs | Adams Shafts | Method Mesh Wheels | 35x12.50x17 General Grabber AT2's | SuperChips FlashPaq | Pioneer 8100NEX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Rock God

I went throught that exact decision process a few years back. I chose Taurus. If I could go back I would get Ruger all day. The Taurus is good although a little sticky after 50 or so rounds. Ruger is smoother and all around better.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Its definitely going to be a Ruger... Now I can't decide between .357, .44Special, and .44 Mag

post #7 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Well if you want a .44 that kicks like a mule, then might I suggest this one...

I love it but that barrel length makes it one hell of a mean little bastard. I won't ever get rid of it but I would still like to have the .357. Maybe again one day...idk.
Attached Images

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 17 Old 05-07-2014, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post

I love it but that barrel length makes it one hell of a mean little bastard. I won't ever get rid of it but I would still like to have the .357. Maybe again one day...idk.
^^^Very nice gun... I decided on the .357 Ruger GP100 SS 4"... .44 Mag is just WAY to expensive to shoot frequently so .357 it is

post #9 of 17 Old 05-07-2014, 07:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

i want an alaskan so bad... but i want one in .454 so i can shoot .45 colt too.

or a .460V so i can shoot all 3!

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #10 of 17 Old 05-07-2014, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Only thing that I hated about my .460 was that rounds of .460 and .454 were running about $4.50 per round. I loved shooting it but my right hand and forearm would get sore pretty quick too.

Add to that the double hearing protection, the fact that it would clear guys off the range, and that it almost caught the wooden stalls on fire... and it just wasn't worth it to keep.

post #11 of 17 Old 05-07-2014, 08:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Add to that the double hearing protection, the fact that it would clear guys off the range, and that it almost caught the wooden stalls on fire... and it just wasn't worth it to keep.
wait those are all negatives? lol

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #12 of 17 Old 05-07-2014, 10:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My GP100 is 24 years old. It is my first and only revolver and my wife's favorite at the range.

MikeP

post #13 of 17 Old 05-07-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got it!!! 4" SS!!!
Image is HUGE and cant remember how to make them smaller.

post #14 of 17 Old 05-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
wait those are all negatives? lol
Haha... well, yes... those aspects were ironically kind of cool too. Was one hell of a rush to shoot.

post #15 of 17 Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well so much for Ruger reliability... The damn trigger return spring is busted (I assume, trigger won't release after gun fires... Hammer wont pull back either) already and Ruger said it will take 5 weeks turn around once I ship it to them!

I think I will just get a set of Wolf springs instead... Then sell it and buy a S&W

post #16 of 17 Old 05-23-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Decided to keep the GP100. Took it to White Wing Weaponry here in Denton, TX. They quoted me 5-7 business days to do a full trigger job (Springs and full polish of all parts) Dropped it off on Wednesday at Noon. Got it back yesterday at 4pm. 1 day turn around!

Man this thing is SWEET now. Super smooth and VERY LIGHT trigger!
1.7 lbs in single action
4.2 lbs in double action

post #17 of 17 Old 05-24-2014, 04:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

MikeP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode