300 Ultra Mag? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-04-2014, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

300 Ultra Mag?

Does anyone have experience with this caliber? I won't be hunting anything bigger than a mule deer. I found a good deal on the gun that I want, just not a fan of the caliber.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
Does anyone have experience with this caliber? I won't be hunting anything bigger than a mule deer. I found a good deal on the gun that I want, just not a fan of the caliber.
It's a lot of gun for muley. What ranges are you shooting at? I have had both the 300 RUM, 338 RUM. It was a phase I went through. I enjoyed the 300 more than the 338. Both shot flat at long range. But ammo for both are ridiculous. If you were going reload it might be worth it. I shot my last coues white tail at 378 yards, it was a neck shot because he was bed down, entry hole was 30 caliber exit look like a claymore had it way with the shoulder, a lot of energy from that round. I have sold both and now carry a 30/06, 264WM or a 300WM. Ammo is cheaper and for the most part I can do what ever you can do with a 300RUM with those rifles and my shoulder doesn't hurt either.

Last edited by Rolltidejk; 04-04-2014 at 07:21 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-05-2014, 06:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Agreed- That's a whole lot of gun for a mule deer! And also agreed- I can't remember the last time I saw any ammo for it, and our local store stocks a LOT of calibers! Unless you're handloading, stick to .30-06 or .300 Win Mag like rolltide mentioned. .264 is less common around here. Also, if you do roll your own, the other .30 caliber rounds are nice- you can get some amazing performance out of either of those with homegrown- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-07-2014, 05:25 AM
Granite Guru

My $.02 worth of advice is buy the rifle you want in a more versatile, recoil friendly caliber like 30.06 or .270. Both can be used successfully for most all large game in the lower 48. I went down the road of buying game specific rifles, for example, a Browning 300 win mag for elk, and Win .308 for bear, 30-06 for deer, Marlin 335 Rem for feral hogs etc. Could have saved a lot of money just using game appropriate loads in my Savage 30-06. BTW, while not the prettiest rifle in my safe, the Savage is the most accurate and affordable to own. It's fun to collect guns, but it's even more fun to save money by buying smart and spending the savings on your Jeep. The upside to buying multiple calibers is now I have a gun safe large enough to park my Jeep in.

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by soonerfan85; 05-07-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode