First gun for wife? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-25-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

First gun for wife?

I want to get my sweetie a pistol. She is reluctant, but somewhat willing. I figure a revolver is the go to gun. 38 Special in particular. Semi-autos are just too complicated for a newbie methinks... Any thoughts or similar situations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego View Post
I want to get my sweetie a pistol. She is reluctant, but somewhat willing. I figure a revolver is the go to gun. 38 Special in particular. Semi-autos are just too complicated for a newbie methinks... Any thoughts or similar situations?
Just to shoot? Or daily carry? For my lady it was a S&W model 60. She loves it and with +P it's perfect.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 18 Old 03-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

S&W J-frame revolvers might be right up her alley.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Rock God

The only problem I see with getting her a small revolver is the weight to recoil ratio. All of those small revolvers like the Ruger LCR's or the S&W 642 are light as shit, thus equal a fuck load of recoil. Try something bigger first so you dont scare her off. Just my 2 cents.

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #5 of 18 Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Rock God

38 has never scared anyone

post #6 of 18 Old 03-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltidejk View Post
38 has never scared anyone

Ha, try shooting Buffalo Bore +P out of a snub nose .38.

Maybe try even a .22 auto. I got my wife here first gun last year. She picked out a Sig Mosquito. Great gun to shoot, very simple. Best thing is no scary recoil. Unless you are looking to put her straight into a carry gun you can't go wrong with a .22

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-25-2014, 09:13 PM
JKO Addict!

I bought my wife a little .38 for her first gun and she ended up hating it. Even with normal cheap .38 loads she said it stung her hand.

I let her start shooting my fnp and she claimed it as hers. Now she has a Fns9 and out shoots me.

It seems like the normal full size guns are a little easier to handle. Just because your wife has small hands or is small. Don't make the mistake of buying her a small framed pistol.

As far as complicated. It's just a little practice that'll fix that issue. Also my wife took a class and came back a confident shooter. It was an all women's class. I took a similar one with all guys. It's basically combat pistol. Learning how to fight with your gun.

We are taking a ccw class together in 2 weeks.

31 jeeps in... still have issues

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 03-25-2014 at 09:17 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-25-2014, 09:16 PM

When we picked out my wife's daily carry, we were thinking about the J frame. (already have one)
However we have kids, so we decided against the J frame as it is always chambered and ready to go with just a pull of the trigger.(not that we leave it laying around)
We ended up going with a Bodyguard .380 she loves it. The thing is very easy to carry. Also easy to shoot. My wife can rack the slide, but it would be very challenging for a child.
If you wife is reluctant take her to a range (preferably one that rents a variety of guns) and get her comfortable with shooting and see what she prefers.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-26-2014, 07:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock191 View Post
The only problem I see with getting her a small revolver is the weight to recoil ratio. All of those small revolvers like the Ruger LCR's or the S&W 642 are light as shit, thus equal a fuck load of recoil. Try something bigger first so you dont scare her off. Just my 2 cents.
I agree with this- those small revolvers are just snappy as shit. Which usually equates to one not enjoying shooting it, so they tend to not practice with it. That's not a good thing.

I was also concerned about my wife handling a semi-auto. But just a few minutes at the range and she had it "almost" fully under control- the only issue she had was properly clearing a jam, but a bit more time and she'll be good to go. She fell in love with my friends M&P 9mm. We haven't bought her a carry yet though. I need to take her out and use my M&P Shield to see how she feels about that size- I think she'll like it.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-26-2014, 05:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

My gun buying advice for a new shooter is always the same:
Step 1. Bring her to the shop. Let her handle one of everything. She's a woman (I'm assuming... )- she WILL have opinions on what she likes.
Step 2. Bring her to the range. Try as many of the ones she likes as possible (and some she didn't like- she MAY change her mind).
Step 3. Yell at her for only liking $1K+ handguns, and try step 2 again
Step 4. Then buy- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #11 of 18 Old 03-27-2014, 06:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I agree with this- those small revolvers are just snappy as shit. Which usually equates to one not enjoying shooting it, so they tend to not practice with it. That's not a good thing.

I was also concerned about my wife handling a semi-auto. But just a few minutes at the range and she had it "almost" fully under control- the only issue she had was properly clearing a jam, but a bit more time and she'll be good to go. She fell in love with my friends M&P 9mm. We haven't bought her a carry yet though. I need to take her out and use my M&P Shield to see how she feels about that size- I think she'll like it.
i will load up 3 mags at the range for my wife. randomly placing snap caps in with live ammo.

she'll do it to me too. helps a lot with clearing practice.

or i'll run hot ammo through my sig mosquito and it becomes the jam-0-matic and i can practice for real lol.

post #12 of 18 Old 03-27-2014, 10:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
i will load up 3 mags at the range for my wife. randomly placing snap caps in with live ammo.

she'll do it to me too. helps a lot with clearing practice.

or i'll run hot ammo through my sig mosquito and it becomes the jam-0-matic and i can practice for real lol.
Anything but CCI mini mags jam up pretty well in the Mosquito really. It really does make for a great training opportunity.

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-27-2014, 10:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDukit View Post
Anything but CCI mini mags jam up pretty well in the Mosquito really. It really does make for a great training opportunity.
mine has the softer spring in it. so it run the el cheapo remington thunder no problem but it hates the good CCI minimag stuff. it's crazy.

post #14 of 18 Old 03-27-2014, 11:22 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman77 View Post
When we picked out my wife's daily carry, we were thinking about the J frame. (already have one)
However we have kids, so we decided against the J frame as it is always chambered and ready to go with just a pull of the trigger.(not that we leave it laying around)
We ended up going with a Bodyguard .380 she loves it. The thing is very easy to carry. Also easy to shoot. My wife can rack the slide, but it would be very challenging for a child.
If you wife is reluctant take her to a range (preferably one that rents a variety of guns) and get her comfortable with shooting and see what she prefers.
Years ago we got my wife a 60 J frame in .357 and mostly shot .38s out of it. It worked great for her, however now we have young kids and it stays in the gun safe for the same reasons you mention.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-27-2014, 11:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
mine has the softer spring in it. so it run the el cheapo remington thunder no problem but it hates the good CCI minimag stuff. it's crazy.
Ha- both of my Ruger 10/22's are like that. CCI mini mags are constant jams, cheapo Remington's no problems at all. In fact ANYTHING will feed thru it EXCEPT CCI. No idea why that is.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
That's so weird, my wife's hates anything cheap. Guess I'll have to do some research on springs for it then.

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-31-2014, 06:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDukit View Post
That's so weird, my wife's hates anything cheap. Guess I'll have to do some research on springs for it then.
didn't it come with 2?

post #18 of 18 Old 03-31-2014, 08:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
didn't it come with 2?
Now that you mention it, it sure did. I'll have to give that a shot.

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode