Finally got me a carry - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 03-24-2014, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Finally got me a carry

Got my CHL 2 weeks ago, and bought me a carry this past Saturday: S&W M&P Shield 9mm. Bought a cheapo Blackhawk IWB holster just so I could start carrying immediately, and ordered an Alien Gear holster online (3-4 week delivery)

My boys had gotten me $300 worth of Gander Mountain gift cards for my bday. Along with other cash gifts from relatives- all combined I ended up spending $14 out of pocket to buy the gun!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Fuck, evil black scary gun.

Very nice. I need a smaller pistol to carry everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

Very cool! At some point, I'd like to pick up one of those.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 03-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Rock God

Nice choice. I picked up a Glock 42. Its awesome.

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #5 of 30 Old 03-24-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Fuck, evil black scary gun.

Yes, and this new gun feels right at home along with the family of evil black scary rifles.

Actually, this one feels more special since she gets to be with me all day long. Gonna make all my other guns jealous
post #6 of 30 Old 03-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Granite Guru

Nice. I looked at those, but I just couldn't like it... don't know, just me I guess. I ended up going with the XDs 9mm for my carry gun. Got this holster for it and I really like it: http://www.heavydutyleathercostore.c...holster_brown/

For my wife we got a Ruger LC9 for the sheer fact that it's one safe damn gun to carry. She didn't like it at first, but after practicing and learning proper grip technique, she likes it now, and she did her qualification with it so I know she can shoot it well.

☀lllllll☀ 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk
☀lllllll☀ 2009 Unlimited X
☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7

Last edited by mbjeepxj; 03-25-2014 at 08:52 AM.
post #7 of 30 Old 03-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Very nice just bought my wife a G42 its so hawt to see a chick with a gun!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #8 of 30 Old 03-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Rock God

The way things have become in the lone brain cell state, you'll probably get to use it sooner than later on one of your fellow gun toting Texicans

POG MO THOIN
post #9 of 30 Old 03-25-2014, 02:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Nice choice N2Rock. Those are a great size for EDC. It's crazy how many good carry platforms there are these days.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #10 of 30 Old 03-25-2014, 06:41 PM
JKO Addict!

I own one in 9mm. I can't say anything negative about the gun. The sights work great for my eyes and I'm accurate with it at 9yards. feels good in my hands and the factory trigger is just fine for me. I actually like my grip without the extended magazine. Need to get a holster for mine.

Last edited by rubirobv; 03-25-2014 at 06:44 PM.
post #11 of 30 Old 03-26-2014, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Wow, I can't believe you like the short magazine. I just can't use that with my pinky hanging down there- just doesn't feel right. I'm not a big fan of the trigger, but it's not the worst I've felt either. I'll upgrade the trigger at some point.

I ran it out to 15 yards on Sunday- I wasn't "bulls eye" accurate, but accurate enough to be a kill shot. At shorter distances it was dead on accurate.
post #12 of 30 Old 03-26-2014, 07:38 AM
Rock God

i carry one every day. love my shield.
ameriglow i dot pros and a pinky extension on the 7 round mag. love this little gun
post #13 of 30 Old 04-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Wheeler

I have the Shield as well but in .40 and it is awesome! I am more on the slim side so the .9 inch width of the Shield is perfect for me to conceal easily. Due to the caliber, mine is 8+1 and 7+1 so I bought a DeSantis Tuck-This II holster with the attached magazine holder.

Have fun with it!
post #14 of 30 Old 04-25-2014, 03:50 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Very nice.

U.S. Army
post #15 of 30 Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKano View Post
I have the Shield as well but in .40 and it is awesome! I am more on the slim side so the .9 inch width of the Shield is perfect for me to conceal easily. Due to the caliber, mine is 8+1 and 7+1 so I bought a DeSantis Tuck-This II holster with the attached magazine holder.

Have fun with it!
The 9mm is 8+1 and 7+1 too. I hate the 7+1 mag though because I can't get a good grip on it. But yeah, the slim width is the reason I bought it. Really like it.

For the past month I have been carrying every day with a cheap Blackhawk cloth IWB holster. I found it to be very comfortable, and fit nicely at my 3:30 position. I bought that while I was waiting for my Alien Gear holster that I ordered. It took 5 weeks to get the Alien Gear, and it finally came in this past weekend. After getting so used to that Blackhawk holster (which had almost zero bulk), I am finding the Alien Gear to be hard to adjust to. For one thing, it has a lot of bulk in comparison. And because of the design of it, I have to wear it in the 5 o'clock position (which I'm not used to and doesn't feel as comfortable to me). On the plus side, it does not print at all with this. The Blackhawk had a small amount of print- if you were looking for it, you could tell. But with this Alien Gear, the gun & holster are invisible. So for that one reason, I'm going to wear it for a while and see if I can warm up to the way it fits.
post #16 of 30 Old 05-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
The 9mm is 8+1 and 7+1 too. I hate the 7+1 mag though because I can't get a good grip on it. But yeah, the slim width is the reason I bought it. Really like it.

For the past month I have been carrying every day with a cheap Blackhawk cloth IWB holster. I found it to be very comfortable, and fit nicely at my 3:30 position. I bought that while I was waiting for my Alien Gear holster that I ordered. It took 5 weeks to get the Alien Gear, and it finally came in this past weekend. After getting so used to that Blackhawk holster (which had almost zero bulk), I am finding the Alien Gear to be hard to adjust to. For one thing, it has a lot of bulk in comparison. And because of the design of it, I have to wear it in the 5 o'clock position (which I'm not used to and doesn't feel as comfortable to me). On the plus side, it does not print at all with this. The Blackhawk had a small amount of print- if you were looking for it, you could tell. But with this Alien Gear, the gun & holster are invisible. So for that one reason, I'm going to wear it for a while and see if I can warm up to the way it fits.
So here is an update:

I mis-typed in my original post. The .40 is 7+1 and 6+1. And yes the short mag does cause me problems due to the length. It mostly only affects my ability for a strong grasp for my draw rather than when I'm actually shooting.

I currently have a Blackhawk (probably the same as yours) holster, DeSantis Tuck-This, and a Raven Concealment Vanguard II (Full Kit) holster for the shield.

I totally agree with your issue with printing and bulk. With that being said:

The Raven Concealment Vanguard II - Full Kit holster is incredible! I literally wear normal (tight-ish) t-shirts and literally ZERO printing. On a side note I appendix carry and the Vanguard holster is also tuckable. I am 5'7" about 165 lbs (starting to get a craft beer gut lol).

VERY IMPORTANT: The Vanguard holster does not fit the Shield specifically. It was actually my complaint that got Raven Concealment to update their website (only fits full size and compact versions - does not fit Shield or Bodyguard). However, I did a very simple modification to the holster and it now fits perfect with good retention. Give it a look and maybe that will help you in your case. I use the DeSantis holster now as my in-car holster for longer trips.

Don't forget to get a vehicle safe to properly secure your firearm for those occasions you have to go in to a post office, library, etc.

Last edited by JKano; 05-23-2014 at 01:38 PM.
post #17 of 30 Old 05-23-2014, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I don't appendix carry. I'm pretty thin (IE: flat stomach LOL) and appendix carry just jabs me in all the wrong places, especially since I'm sitting down all day.

I've gotten real used to the Alien Gear at 5 o'clock. There seems to be a "zone" of comfort for me, which sometimes is hard to get right in the morning. If it's too far forward, the gun digs into my ribs, to far back and it digs into my back when I'm sitting. It has been a process to figure out where to place it right, but I'm getting better at it.

Vehicle safe- I have a Tuffy underseat lock box. Yeah, it could be broken into with a hammer and screwdriver. But secure enough that it's not instant access. But 3 months now with my EDC, and I have not had to lock it up in that box a single time yet.
post #18 of 30 Old 05-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I don't appendix carry. I'm pretty thin (IE: flat stomach LOL) and appendix carry just jabs me in all the wrong places, especially since I'm sitting down all day.

I've gotten real used to the Alien Gear at 5 o'clock. There seems to be a "zone" of comfort for me, which sometimes is hard to get right in the morning. If it's too far forward, the gun digs into my ribs, to far back and it digs into my back when I'm sitting. It has been a process to figure out where to place it right, but I'm getting better at it.

Vehicle safe- I have a Tuffy underseat lock box. Yeah, it could be broken into with a hammer and screwdriver. But secure enough that it's not instant access. But 3 months now with my EDC, and I have not had to lock it up in that box a single time yet.
Appendix carry is actually perfect for slimmer people. It all just depends on how you wear your pants. If you wear your pants really low then yes it will jab ya. But if you wear your pants at your natural waist the way pants are supposed to be warn its very very comfortable and doesn't print at all. As long as I wear my pants at my natural waist I can appendix a glock 19 no problem.

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #19 of 30 Old 05-27-2014, 06:13 AM
Wheeler

I visited the range yesterday and got a couple rounds out. I seem to consistently shoot low and left with the Shield. Typically that indicates that the shooter is anticipating the break and/or "pulling" the gun when firing.

I definitely think it is the latter. As the OP mentioned earlier, I think the Shield would definitely benefit from a trigger kit with a lighter pull. I was shooting dead accurate with my Glock 17, but as soon as I switched back to the Shield I would shoot low and left again. I think it's a combination of handling the smaller frame coupled with the stiff trigger. (Or I seriously am lacking some skill :P

I felt the Apex Trigger kit on a friend's M&P9 and it is pretty sweet! Might be worth a gander.
post #20 of 30 Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yeah, I have the same issue and really have to force myself to not "pull" when I fire.

Friend of mine has the Apex kit in his M&P (not a Shield) and it does shoot sweet. That was the gun I used when I took my CC shooting test, and almost landed a perfect score with it. The trigger definitely makes a big difference. I'm gonna get one eventually.
post #21 of 30 Old 05-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Yeah, I have the same issue and really have to force myself to not "pull" when I fire.

Friend of mine has the Apex kit in his M&P (not a Shield) and it does shoot sweet. That was the gun I used when I took my CC shooting test, and almost landed a perfect score with it. The trigger definitely makes a big difference. I'm gonna get one eventually.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I've never gotten a chance to shoot with the Apex trigger kit (only dry fire) so that's good to know it's a good kit!
post #22 of 30 Old 05-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Rock God

I've got an M&P9 and M&P40, both full size and identical. Identical other than the .40 having an Apex trigger. The difference is unbelievable. I am so much more accurate, 2" grouping at 15yrds, with the Apex trigger.
post #23 of 30 Old 05-28-2014, 06:01 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernmedic View Post
I've got an M&P9 and M&P40, both full size and identical. Identical other than the .40 having an Apex trigger. The difference is unbelievable. I am so much more accurate, 2" grouping at 15yrds, with the Apex trigger.
Sweet! Just to clarify, did you get the full trigger kit or just the trigger?
post #24 of 30 Old 05-28-2014, 05:07 PM
Rock God

Full trigger and sear
post #25 of 30 Old 05-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Wheeler

Quote:

Have you thought about a grip for yours? I think it would help with getting a better handle on the Shield to reduce the "pulling"? Since the Shield is so thin it might help to have a bit more meat to wrap your hands around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode