question for those with a Sig 556R - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-23-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

question for those with a Sig 556R

I see that there are at least a couple of guys here with a Sig 556R. I was wondering how you guys like it, any issues you've had with and what sort of range and grouping have you gotten with it.

I've got an AK-47 that I've done some work on and it's quite nice for an AK now. While it's certainly reliable, by its nature it just isn't much for accuracy.

The problem isn't the 7.62X39 round, it's the AK design; primarily the barrel.

Anyhow, I've looked into 7.62X 39 uppers for AR's, but they suffer from feeding issues due to the AR straight magwell. Then there is also that issue of using specific magazines which are not always easy to find.

I like that the Sig 556R is an AR type platform but uses AK magazines. I'm thinking about selling my AK and buying the Sig 556R. So any input is well appreciated.

I gotta be me cause everyone else was already taken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Granite Guru

Thumbs up

1st and foremost make sure you get a 2nd GEN as the 1st gens had all kinds of problems.

Got my 556R-S ( -S=SWAT=has Sig factory installed Quad rail ) lightly used with 60 rounds through it for a smoking $735. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.

Sampson makes a good 556R specific quad rail to replace the plastic "classic" hand guard if you can't find a -S 556R. It cost over $330+ to have Sig install a factory 556R quad rail as they won't sell it to you so you can install it yourself.

I am far from being a stable shooter as I have essential tremor and am shaky. I mostly shoot from the bench and I can still shoot 1.5" -2.25" 5 shot groups @ 100yards. I can pick off standard size clays on the bank at my local range @ about 115 to 120 yards consecutively and easily... missing maybe 1 to 3 out of 30 shots on average. Get 10 or 20 rounds mags for bench shooting as the 30's are too long.

Because of the shorter barrel you will see more accuracy with lighter grain round especially the farther out you shoot. I see at least a .5" difference between 124 & 122 grain round 5 shot groups @ 100 yards.

Have seen on Sig forums that quite a few ex & current military guys say this rifle is good out to 400-600 yards in well trained & expert hands...all though 600 yards seems to be pushing it ?!?

AK's may be more durable when it comes to torture tests, but no way are they more accurate than a Sig 556R from what I have experienced and read about. Maybe a ALL USA made AK is as accurate? but then is a all made AK really an AK ? ...what ever just my 0.02 cents.

3 things I highly recommend are the Krebs extended safety lever, the Hogue rubber finger groove grip & a Zurich Wedge. The grip really improves accuracy on fast follow up shots for me.

I use a Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18 scope on a Millett base that came with the scope for free. These scopes come with 'Drop Zone' reticles are made for 223/5.56, not 7.62X39. I am just making my own dope chart from trial and error. I wanted a decent power small scope so but NO ONE makes a scope higher powered than 6.5 for 7.62x39 that I could find. I have Magpul MBUS back up sights that work really well and fit under the scope (but wont work with a Classic handguard) Troy, Midwest Industries and Sampson have front sights that are made specific to mount on the 556R gas block if you want to keep the classic hand guard. Midwest Industries are the best bang for the $ in my opinion.

Get one & HAVE FUN !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
THANK A VETERAN

"It's a Freedom Thing"

Last edited by Bluewaterrider; 04-08-2014 at 02:00 PM. Reason: i cant spell worthashit
post #3 of 5 Old 04-12-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm going to guess that if I buy NIB it would most likey be a 2nd gen, but otherwise is there some way of telling whether it's a 1st gen or a 2nd gen?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-12-2014, 11:05 PM
Granite Guru

Pull the rear take down pin and open the rifle up so you can see the top front of the lower. A GEN 2 will have a steel insert screwed into the lower where the front mag catch is. If it does not have the steel mag catch insert on the lower it is a GEN 1.

Also the stock will fold but will not collapse/telescope on a GEN 2 556R.

I believe all 556R's made after September 2012 are GEN 2. But best to look at the lower to make sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
THANK A VETERAN

"It's a Freedom Thing"
post #5 of 5 Old 04-13-2014, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaterrider View Post
Pull the rear take down pin and open the rifle up so you can see the top front of the lower. A GEN 2 will have a steel insert screwed into the lower where the front mag catch is. If it does not have the steel mag catch insert on the lower it is a GEN 1.

Also the stock will fold but will not collapse/telescope on a GEN 2 556R.

I believe all 556R's made after September 2012 are GEN 2. But best to look at the lower to make sure.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode