10mm who has one? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

10mm who has one?

looking for a fun gun. contemplating 10mm. anyone have one? any thoughts on it if you do?

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-13-2014, 07:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Probably those people that like to pay through the nose for ammo.

Interesting ballistics but at the end of the day, it's an oddball.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #3 of 25 Old 03-13-2014, 07:40 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Can't wrap my mind around the 10mm or the 357 Sig, being that they are so close to the .40 and yet so much more expensive and hard to buy ammo for... What are you looking at getting Ryan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Can't wrap my mind around the 10mm or the 357 Sig, being that they are so close to the .40 and yet so much more expensive and hard to buy ammo for... What are you looking at getting Ryan?
not sure. there's a few 10mm's out there. they're relatively inexpensive. probably a glock 20.

10mm isn't that bad. PPU JHP online is like .44ish a round. so it's pretty similar to .45 in price.

it's kinda cool that you get around 1300 fps out of a .40 caliber bullet... i'm just looking for a fun gun...

the other option is DE .50ae but they're a little pricey.

post #5 of 25 Old 03-13-2014, 07:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Personally, I don't like having many different calibers. I have one each of 9mm, .45, .380, .22LR. When I buy additional guns they will be either 9mm or .45. My everyday carry gun is a Ruger LCP but I'm thinking of replacing it with a small 9mm like the LC9. I plan on another .45 which will be a Sig or Glock to go with my 1911.

Makes ammo a lot easier to keep on hand and stock up on. Same if you're reloading.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #6 of 25 Old 03-13-2014, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Personally, I don't like having many different calibers. I have one each of 9mm, .45, .380, .22LR. When I buy additional guns they will be either 9mm or .45. My everyday carry gun is a Ruger LCP but I'm thinking of replacing it with a small 9mm like the LC9. I plan on another .45 which will be a Sig or Glock to go with my 1911.

Makes ammo a lot easier to keep on hand and stock up on. Same if you're reloading.
well if i go 10mm i'll probably start reloading. since it uses the same projectile as the .40 (which i already shoot a lot of) and the same dies.

just looking for a toy. currently i stick to 9mm and .40. i don't really want another 1911 right now. and if I do it'll be .45.

various calibers don't bother me. I buy it when i see it and keep a decent pile of it in the safe.

post #7 of 25 Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Rock God

Look up the 460 Rowland. Very interesting round. Being you can easily convert a 1911 or full size glock for it and has 44 mag ballistics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #8 of 25 Old 03-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have a Glock 20 and I love it for what it is. It's mostly my woods protection gun for when I'm camping and hunting. It is a fun gun to shoot but if you want to reload the glock isn't a great option unless you get an aftermarket barrel. Glocks don't offer full chamber support and the 10mm likes to bulge quite a bit at the base even with lower power rounds. An aftermarket barrel fixes that issue though.

I honestly like shooting 10mm more than any .40 I've ever shot. I have a hard time describing why but to me the .40 snaps too much and it makes it more difficult to get sights back on target. My 10mm shoots much smoother and squeezing off multiple rounds on target is much easier even if it kicks harder.

I also have not had any issues finding bullets even when everything else was sold out 10mm has always been easy to find even if it's a little spendy. This summer I'm probably going to hand load about 1000 rounds with new brass so I've got plenty for fun shooting.

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-13-2014, 11:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

conversions for 460 Rowland available for Glock, Springfield XD's and 1911's.

It's a heck of a round, flinging 185gr 45's @ 14-1500fps.

You can get the ammo pre-made @ Georgia arms for about .85 per rnd, but handloading it is the way to go.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #10 of 25 Old 03-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Granite Guru

If you're going to reload/handload, then it's not a big deal. You can down-load to .40 power (depending on your recoil springs), load a mid power charge or load the full 10mm spec. There aren't many options out there, either a Glock 20 (with barrel upgrade), EAA or a 1911 clone (Colt, Kimber, Para or Wilson).

For the HP rounds, most of the offerings fall apart in gel tests when run at full 10mm loads since they were designed for the .40 velocities. Just a little thing to keep in mind for handloads.

2012 Silver Rubi. AEV 2.5" lift, JCR Dagger front bumper, Superwinch EPI 9, JCR engine skid, ACE side steps, RR 7" HID lights, Wired HDH switch panel
formerly- 2001 Yellow XJ, 7" longarm, lockers, bumper, winch, armor, lights, etc
post #11 of 25 Old 03-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Granite Guru

As others have said its easy to reload for and components are coming back but even during the ammo shortage it wasn't hard to find 10mm.

My fde gen4 20

post #12 of 25 Old 03-14-2014, 07:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Oooh Oooh, I have one... G20sf. I bought a bunch of BVAC, bulk ammo from Cheaper Than Dirt a few years back. They had some good pricing back then. California threatened to ban internet ammo sales which eventually failed but prompted me to load up on 10mm. No longer a patron of Cheaper Than Dirt. BVAC is inexpensive target ammo at .40 S&W ballistics. I have some warmer stuff from Mcnett at Double Tap and Underwood Ammo. I bought some Hardcast, Gas Checked, lead ammo from Double Tap and it wont cycle in my G20. Staying away from lead ammo in the G20. I have the factory barrel and a Lone Wolf, six inch barrel. Also went to a 20 lb. spring with steel rod from the factory 17 lb. spring with plastic rod. Can't really say there's much difference in performance. I lightened the trigger a lot. Maybe 3lb. pull. Made a huge difference in my accuracy as my hands are on the small side even with the short framed Block. Originally purchased this for woods protection but there are a variety of loads for home protection too. This is my very first pistol and probably the only Glock I'll own. She's like my high school sweetheart though. Always gonna love her.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-14-2014, 07:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
the other option is DE .50ae but they're a little pricey.
I went to the gun store looking for a Dessert Eagle .50ae and came out with the G20. ... I wanted the DE just to have something different but I'm glad I didn't get it.
post #14 of 25 Old 03-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchfan View Post
As others have said its easy to reload for and components are coming back but even during the ammo shortage it wasn't hard to find 10mm.

My fde gen4 20

If I may suggest something, you should be using critical duty on your Glock 20. Reason being is critical defense was developed for short barreled, concealed carry style firearm. Whereas critical duty was developed for full-size handguns. Critical duty also has better barrier penetration then Critical defense. I use critical defense in my XDS 45 and critical duty for the sig p229 and glock 19. Just a thought.

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #15 of 25 Old 03-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Wheeler

I do.
post #16 of 25 Old 03-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Wheeler

I do. Fullsize glock. Get some buffalo bore. Boom
post #17 of 25 Old 03-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm in the 10MM market, too. Will get a Glock 29 and get an aftermarket barrel. Was actually looking for one the last time shopping, but picked up a LCR 357 instead.

I'd like to do a Rowland conversion on my g30 at some point, but will probably get an aftermarket barrel and 21 lb spring and just run 45 super through it for a while (also allows me to run 45 ACP for plinking). 185 gr @ 1300 fps is nothing to sneeze at.

Starting to look into reloading, I shoot too much not to.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #18 of 25 Old 03-27-2014, 10:22 PM
Wheeler

Glock 20 here.

10mm rocks, plain and simple. You will have a blast with it, pun intended. I leave everything else at home now when I go to the range.

Pat
2012 MT6 Unlimited Rubicon stock
2004 UZJ100 stock
Past:
2007 FJ MT6 OME 33's
1995 FZJ 80 OME, Locked w/ 33's
1985 Toy Truck
post #19 of 25 Old 04-27-2015, 02:34 AM
Granite Guru

I've wanted a 10mm for a while now.
Coincidentally I've also wanted a Sig P220 SAO.
Guess what my next gun's going to be...
http://www.gunsandammo.com/first-loo...formance-ammo/
post #20 of 25 Old 04-29-2015, 04:05 AM
Granite Guru

I plan on using my 10mm(when I get one) for deer hunting.
I have killed deer with .45Colt before and the 10mm way outperforms that or even +P .45ACP.
Very similar to a .41mag which is a potent cartridge.
At my local Cabela's good 10mm hunting ammo is only about $1/box more than +P .45acp. Costs much less than .45Colt hunting loads or .41mag of any loading.
If I hadn't just bought a new Wrangler that I'm trying to pimp ou,errr..modify I'd have a 10mm Sig on order already.
post #21 of 25 Old 04-30-2015, 09:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've been really thinking hard about the STI Perfect 10.

Kevin
post #22 of 25 Old 05-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Granite Guru

I've had a Glock G20 for nearly 20 years now and love it! I have used it for everything from concealed carry to competition shooting (it ruled the bowling pin shoots). I have some original Norma 10mm ammo (170 JHP) and a number of years ago when the department I was working for did some ballistic testing with an ATK rep/trainer. We tested in ballistic gel, the first round left nothing but a cavity channel, the second was the same, the third left its jacket at about 15 inches in the 18 inch block.

If you handload just be careful of your pressure, it can bulge the un-supported part of the case making it useless to reload.
post #23 of 25 Old 01-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Wheeler

Somewhat dumb

I thought for a couple years that a 40 was the same as 10mm for some reason, so I thought I had a 10mm. The I got to shoot a real 10mm and see the difference in cartridge. it's a big round - fun to shoot. Get one if you can.
post #24 of 25 Old 01-12-2016, 01:34 AM
Granite Guru

The .40 S&W ( sometimes called Short and Weak)only came into existence because the 10mm was too much gun for gender diverse FBI agents.
They loved the performance of the 10mm. Hated the recoil.
So the .40 S&W was designed as a stop-gap round that made them feel like they had something over the 9mm but didn't hurt their poor wrists.
I think they've actually gone back to the 9mm now anyway.
Today's modern bullet designs have made the venerable 9mm a much more potent stopping round.
But the 10MM has recently seen a big surge in popularity.
More ammo companies make it.
More loadings offered.
More places stocking it.
Meanwhile the .40S&W is fading away.

"Wake me for the Revolution..."
post #25 of 25 Old 01-26-2016, 01:03 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbob Frank View Post
The .40 S&W ( sometimes called Short and Weak)only came into existence because the 10mm was too much gun for gender diverse FBI agents.
They loved the performance of the 10mm. Hated the recoil.
So the .40 S&W was designed as a stop-gap round that made them feel like they had something over the 9mm but didn't hurt their poor wrists.
I think they've actually gone back to the 9mm now anyway.
Today's modern bullet designs have made the venerable 9mm a much more potent stopping round.
But the 10MM has recently seen a big surge in popularity.
More ammo companies make it.
More loadings offered.
More places stocking it.
Meanwhile the .40S&W is fading away.
Hahaha! Yeah - that's why I bought the gun - it's a sissy pistol that vibrates rainbows through my wrists.

Actually shoots pretty nice, but I like my brother-in-laws Px4 Storm over my Mod. 6.

Personally not a fan of 9mm (any of them), but I would take one if it was free. 357 mag double action is still my fave all around hand gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode