Best CLP oil for handgun - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-19-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Best CLP oil for handgun

Hey guys,
Looking for a good cleaner lube protectant for my handguns. Was wondering which brands are the best. Seem to be pretty decent reviews on products like ballistol, gunzilla, weapon shield, and m-pro 7. Just wondering if there are any that anyone prefers that they use and that work well. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-19-2014, 06:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I use the same stuff we used on our 50 cals and 240's in the Corps.
Attached Images

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PhrogMech46; 02-19-2014 at 06:45 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-19-2014, 07:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Been using the same can of Break Free for 3yrs, but she's almost used up. Was thinking about some Gun Butter next time around, but who knows.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Some good info in this thread...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124266

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 15 Old 02-20-2014, 03:42 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I hear nothing but positive about froglube. I'm going to try it on my new 300blk build as well as the pistol and ak I just bought. I'll let you know in about a month(if i remember) and let you know how they work out. Each should have about 1k rounds through em by then, maybe more.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Rock God

Garage

The best one is the one you use. There are tons of arguments supporting X brand and bashing Y brand. Point being is they all seem to work.

For example some people love RemOil and others think it is too thin. I use Wilson Combat "gun grease". I have used cheap Hoppe's before.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #7 of 15 Old 02-20-2014, 09:57 AM
Rock God

I like Ballistol, but that was decades before this new-fangled stuff. I used that shit on and for everything, as it was intended.

I'd shudder to think what 5gals of these other lube/cleaners would cost and whether they had any other applications that would make large quantities worthwhile. That was the beauty of the Ballistol. Sure, it's relatively pricey, but available in quantity and useful for everything. My guns were, and have not been since, ever so clean when I used that stuff.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoub View Post
I hear nothing but positive about froglube. I'm going to try it on my new 300blk build as well as the pistol and ak I just bought. I'll let you know in about a month(if i remember) and let you know how they work out. Each should have about 1k rounds through em by then, maybe more.
froglube

I went to a gun show and met a police officer who sells this. Told me he and other officers use it on their service weapons. That was enough for me to blindly try it. When looking into it I found out it is American made by an American vet and he donates part of the profit to vets. Then I used it. I have a 20 year old gun who a guy who grew up with guns thought it was brand new. That particular gun got cleaner the more I used it. I am forever a froglube believer!
post #9 of 15 Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Rock God

I used to use froglube. The problem with froglube is two fold. One it takes to damn long. There is no such thing is a quick clean b/c you're supposed to heat up the metal so it can soak in. Next is if you are shooting a lot of rounds your firearm will be dripping froglube b/c when the metal heats up the pores release the froglube. I did love the stuff but again its just kind of a pain in the ass..I have since moved to rem wipes and grease for my polymer guns.

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #10 of 15 Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock191 View Post
I used to use froglube. The problem with froglube is two fold. One it takes to damn long. There is no such thing is a quick clean b/c you're supposed to heat up the metal so it can soak in. Next is if you are shooting a lot of rounds your firearm will be dripping froglube b/c when the metal heats up the pores release the froglube. I did love the stuff but again its just kind of a pain in the ass..I have since moved to rem wipes and grease for my polymer guns.
I disagree. The first seasoning takes a long time but like you said it gets trapped in the pores. No need to keep heating it up. I just wipe down and some to slides and done. Has actually sped up my cleaning time.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-25-2014, 05:28 AM
Granite Guru

I just switched from TW25 to Froglube. So far so well, have applied it to most of my firearms and have had no hiccups whatsoever. It smells great and is one of the only cleaners/lubricants that I feel comfortable using in the house around pets and people. It's worth a shot in my book!
post #12 of 15 Old 02-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Another Froglube convert. My military son has put over 3k rounds in the past 4 weekends through his AR and it runs like a dream & cleanup is so quick and easy.

I know put it in all of our guns. But someone posted above..... The best lube is the one you use. <very true.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 02-28-2014 at 09:50 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Wheeler

I like slip2000 EWL and fireclean. If it's a metal framed gun like 1911, sig P series, etc i like slip2000 EWG (grease instead of lube)
post #14 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Granite Guru

M-Pro 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caskey22 View Post
Hey guys,
Looking for a good cleaner lube protectant for my handguns. Was wondering which brands are the best. Seem to be pretty decent reviews on products like ballistol, gunzilla, weapon shield, and m-pro 7. Just wondering if there are any that anyone prefers that they use and that work well. Thanks in advance.
I use M-Pro 7 lube and cleaner on all my firearms. Makes cleanup much much easier,... especially on my Sig 522's after running 500+rounds through each of them. .22LR is famous for being dirty (like black powder) and when the powder residue combines with the wax that is on all .22LR it forms a kind of black cement & it used to take me a good while to clean the 522's receivers & breach faces. After using M-Pro 7 products it comes off with little effort now & my clean up time has been cut in half. Just my 0.02 cents.

THANK A VETERAN

"It's a Freedom Thing"
post #15 of 15 Old 03-14-2014, 11:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caskey22 View Post
Hey guys,
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the products that you mentioned. I use FrogLube just because. I think mostly because it's a "green" product and I don't have to hear complaints about smell. I do have some Breakfree CLP and some GunSlick CLP. They serve my purpose as well but be advised that FrogLube eats petroleum products so do not combine. I used Breakfree and Shooters Choice grease on my Glock 20, before FrogLube, without issue. My Mosin Nagant rifles came lubed with motor oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode