Who Needs a Secure Locking Gun Rack? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Who Needs a Secure Locking Gun Rack?

As you can see I am brand new here BUT I am not brand new to the jeep world. I had been putting off buying myself a new jeep because I live to hunt and fish. Between the months of September and end of January I only work if a customer is in a bind and needs me bad, otherwise I am in the woods. This is why I put off buying my new jeep, there is no way to securely and safely lock up my long guns. There are a few super cheaply made overhead racks out there but none of them lock and they are not secured to the vehicle. My plan is to fill this gap, not just in my own jeep but in the market as a whole. There are tons of threads out there but none of them have found a definitive answer until now.

What I am looking for is feedback as to how many of you guys are needing this type of solution. What type of top your jeep has and what do you consider the top of your price range for this type of product. I am not looking to charge as much as possible but there are a few design challenges, especially for the hard top guys, that will have to be overcome and that will increase price.

How about your opinions on orientation of the weapons also, from to back or side to side? I am personally leaning towards the from to back because it will accommodate longer weapons like the turkey gun. I am having a few different prototypes fabled up right now so pics will be available in the next couple of weeks.

OK boys let me have it, what do you need and what do you want!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Just a heads-up... You will need to purchase a vendor-status yellow star before going any further with this.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/payments.php

Best of luck and I believe that your product could do well on this site, as we have a good deal of gun owners here.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 27 Old 02-11-2014, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I am not yet selling the product. As soon as needed I will become a vender. I am looking for design input and conducting a little market research. As of yet the product does not exist.

For $100/year I think it is a very good deal. Like I said I am just looking for input and as soon as I have a product ready to show the guys I will definitely pay the man!

Last edited by JKGunracks; 02-11-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 02-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Wheeler

Secure gun rack

I like the idea. I don't think it could be done but I like the tactical mounts in law enforcement and military vehicles. The orientation is vertical and the law enforcement mounts have locks on the upper support. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Chuck
post #5 of 27 Old 02-13-2014, 08:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Depending on what you come up with I am all over this. Right now I use gun holders that mount on 4 wheelers and attach to rollbar but would like something better
post #6 of 27 Old 02-23-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Any ideas to add before we draw and build the prototype? should be about two weeks out. I am having a small problem with where I wanted the rack to carry the guns. Shotguns with a 28 inch barrel are a wee bit to long to fit between the roll bars on two door jeeps. Any ideas that you guys would like to see are welcome and we will incorporate as many ass possible into the design.

Last edited by JKGunracks; 02-24-2014 at 07:28 AM.
post #7 of 27 Old 02-24-2014, 06:51 AM
Rock God

I'd always thought of but never designed, a folding rack for my 2 door, that attaches/uses the rear seat frame, so it lays flat for transport and could fold up if you needed some extra space to haul gear.

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
2010 Jeep JK Sport 2dr/6spd/3.73's

Go visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...and tell your friends!
post #8 of 27 Old 02-24-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Not a bad idea either! I waseaning high but maybe low will work. One itching I want to let you guys know when you are looking to upgrade your jeep. I went to high school with the owner's step son and he is letting me borrow Jeeps to work on our project. Take care of those who take care of us!! I can give you names and numbers of guys who will bend over backwards ( when I buy the new JKU I'll try to make them bend over forward too!) to help out customers!
post #9 of 27 Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Granite Guru

Well depending on the type of hunting depends on the need/resource for the rack.
1.. When deer hunting with top off or doors off we need a safe place to have a long range rifle with scope to easily grab and get in and out of vehicle. When dropping off hunters at blinds without opening up tail gate etc....
2. When varmint hunting in south Texas - immediate quick access to small caliber rifles with scopes.
3. When we pheasant hunt in south Dakota you can road hunt - so secure shotgun location with easy access.
4. when bird hunting for dove and/or pheasant in multiple locations a very quick way to put gun in and pull out without casing it every time. And it is usually colder than shXt so top and doors are on but need gun quickly to do drivers for birds....
4. when quail hunting in Texas you can hunt from vehicle too - again tops doors off in this case.

so basically you have multiple caliber/gun types and two scenarios for long term packing and quick in/outs of vehicle - then with top/doors off vs. on.

Main reason for having a secure location is the beating you take when hunting on two tracks or fields. We always wanted a vertical mount behind front fenders on outside when we had the doors off....and a way to slide into a rack through passenger window that would be horizontal for in and outs with doors top on. Usually when we are hunting we have dogs in back vs. people....so I would figure two passengers in front only. If it can be removed easily you only need it when you go on hunting trips. And weather dictates weather we have doors/top off. Rain or cold and they are on.

Pistols is a whole different story - but if you have a CHL there are many options in jeep to carry a loaded handgun. Just depends on caliber and weapon type - too many options.

This doesn't even count bow hunting.....which we usually strap to roll bars when doors and tops are off.....pretty easy to do with a rack....
post #10 of 27 Old 02-24-2014, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Strickly long guns. There are already tons of solutions out there for concealed carry. The role I foresee for my rack is transport to and from the hunting/shooting grounds. If it is my goal to please everybody then I will end up pleasing nobody. The rack will be universal and adjustable, it will fit all of our guns from high powered rifle with a scope to your turkey gun to your AR-15 with a collapsable stock and 14 inch barrel. I travel and hunt everywhere from my home in TN to New Mexico. Of course I take the guns in when I stop at the hotel at night but I want to be able to go in a restaurant on my way and know that my guns are not free for the taking. We all know that if given enough time a determined thief will get our stuff. My rack will make sure that the thief does not have the time.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-24-2014, 01:19 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Thread subscribed!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #12 of 27 Old 02-25-2014, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Daily update

I am on my way to pick up our borrows Jeep. Since the two door hard top is our problem child that is what the dealership is loaning us. My wife has completed the drawing and we should send the prototype to production. As soon as we have an accurate rendering to post I will join as a vender and we will officially start talking about sales of our concept. Keep the ideas coming. I can make changes on the concept until actual production starts! I want to incorporate as many ideas into the product as I can. It won't be a Swiss Army Knife but it will be strong functional and secure!
post #13 of 27 Old 02-25-2014, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

To add to today's updated I have had a loaner Jeep all day. We will finish our drawings tonight and have the prototype built next week. I am leaning towards the plasticote system over powder coat. The PVC in the plasticote will give both the Jeep's and the gun's finishes some protection. Last hurdle is the locking system and we are off to production. I should have some production unit pricing lined up by the end of next week then I will become a vendor and we will start talking retail pricing. Let me know what you guys think on the finish,
post #14 of 27 Old 02-25-2014, 03:14 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Holding our breath

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #15 of 27 Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The preliminary drawings are done and we are about to assemble a few prototypes. What type of locking mechanisms would you guys like to see? I am leaning towards a locking cable that can be removed if needed. Th reason I think a removable rather than an integrated solution would be better is because if the weapons do not need locked at the time they don't have to be. Who wants to stop and dig out your key or combination every time a coyote runs out in front of you!

Please advise of what you would like to see.
post #16 of 27 Old 03-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I like the idea of the option to lock or not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #17 of 27 Old 03-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Rock God

Interesting concept...subscribed.

2009 Deep Water Blue Wrangler Unlimited X
37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on KMC Machetes
Synergy 3" Coils/Rancho 9000XL Shocks
Currie Antirock
Yukon 5.13's
Sleeves/Gussetts
JKS Rear Trackbar
ProRock 44
Front/Rear ARB Air lockers
post #18 of 27 Old 03-23-2014, 06:27 AM
Wheeler

Hunting regs for vehicules in Quebec states that your rifle needs to be unloaded and stored in a closed case 30 min. before sunrise or 30 after sunset.

A lockable, when needed, option would be great if you need to stop at a store or restaurant.

One of the best theft deterrant is not having anything that could catch a thief's eye visible, so something discrete would be great.

W Go Prepared W

Last edited by cdnroadwarrior; 03-23-2014 at 04:29 PM.
post #19 of 27 Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Looks like JKGunracks is dead! I got the quote back on the prototypes and production runs and I would have almost $600 in each unit. The quality I expect has priced me out of the market. I will continue to shop my design and keep you guys posted.
post #20 of 27 Old 04-02-2014, 06:29 AM
JKO Addict!

post #21 of 27 Old 04-17-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It's alive again. I went to another metal fabrication shop and they are building me a prototype. Turns out the first fabrication shop saw Vanderbilt University on an email from my wife and thought the product was for them and was hoping for a huge score! screwed himself because I plan the initial run to be 1000 units and he was trying to retire not eh first two! I will have the racks done within a week or so and I'll post up some pics.

The rack in the link above only holds one gun, what if you are taking your buddy or your son hunting with you? also it would have to be removed or it will be in the way when not carrying guns. My rack will hopefully be a mount and forget it until you need to carry your guns to the woods, range or blind.
post #22 of 27 Old 05-01-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Not sure why the thread was moved since it is about a product for jeeps not really about guns. But anyway I had some prototypes built and got the patent pending (crazy expensive!!). They turned out to by to flimsy so I had some more built out of thicker metal. They do not have a finish yet, wanted to get the fit right first.
Attached Images

post #23 of 27 Old 05-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Granite Guru

We use these for our Duty Rifles and Shotguns. Bolt anywhere.

http://santacruzgunlocks.com/
post #24 of 27 Old 05-03-2014, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Where would that lock carry two guns in a 2 door JK? I am working on a product that will carry two guns in any JK and still use the back seat!
post #25 of 27 Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 AM

Locking rack

Outstanding. I was on the phone this morning talking to a rep selling the perfect gun rack. One of the questions I asked was; "Do you have the cradles that can be locked ?" No was the answer. I also asked him; "Has anyone ever asked you this question? No was the answer. The rep also stated that this rack can be pulled easily and any modification to the rack to make it permanent would void the warranty. I also would like to mount my Cobra 29 in-between the rack and the ceiling of the JK. That, of course would also void the warranty. So, I am very interested in a locking rack that is rock solid but also does not look like an afterthought. One that does not use up precious space, possibly overhead and one that can also hold my CB on top of it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode