My first AR build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
N2rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Age: 55
Posts: 3,887
Feedback: 0 reviews
My first AR build

Shadow Ops Weaponry billet lower with custom engraving
Barrel: 16" hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN, 1/7 twist, mid-length gas
Cera-plated M16 BCG (electroless nickel/boron nitrite bath)
Handguard: 12" Midwest Industries Gen2 SS Series
ACE Skeleton stock
Primary Arms 4X Compact Scope

Can't wait to take it out and confirm it functions correctly






N2rock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 22,086
Feedback: 8 reviews

Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 03:26 PM
JKO Addict!
 
rubirobv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Livermore, CA
Age: 61
Posts: 3,426
Feedback: 1 reviews

Real nice looking. I like the engraving. Weight? Mine are damn heavy.
rubirobv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
N2rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Age: 55
Posts: 3,887
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
Real nice looking. I like the engraving. Weight? Mine are damn heavy.
Yeah, my other one is heavy. So I was trying to cut weight on this one. It comes in right at 7lb
N2rock is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Official Monkey Business
 
TEXASKEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Denton Tejas
Posts: 12,215
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Sweet! And at 7lbs that's pretty dang light.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TEXASKEV is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Rock God
 
DiscoBayJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Discovery Bay, CA
Age: 49
Posts: 990
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

I dig the ace stock.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
DiscoBayJoe is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 02-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Granite Guru
 
lank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 428
Feedback: 0 reviews

Nice rifle! I love the ACE stock too. Good and sturdy. The adjustable ones always seem to have a bit of play in them and I just don't like that.
lank is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 02-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Rock God
 
DiscoBayJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Discovery Bay, CA
Age: 49
Posts: 990
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

Quick Pic from Yesterday:



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
DiscoBayJoe is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 02-17-2014, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
N2rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Age: 55
Posts: 3,887
Feedback: 0 reviews

The family photo

And before anyone asks- no it's not a real P90, I can't afford the real thing. It's a Ruger 10/22 P90 stock.

N2rock is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 02-17-2014, 09:00 AM
JKO Addict!
 
BigMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GA
Age: 57
Posts: 3,341
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Damn, the Ruger 10/22 has to be the most versatile rifle ever. Too bad .22LR is so hard to get these days and way to fucking expensive. I found a brick of it in the basement the other day - $8.99


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
BigMike is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
N2rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Age: 55
Posts: 3,887
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Damn, the Ruger 10/22 has to be the most versatile rifle ever. Too bad .22LR is so hard to get these days and way to fucking expensive. I found a brick of it in the basement the other day - $8.99
Yeah, finding 22LR at a reasonable price has been stupidly difficult for over a year. I had 4000 rounds January of 2013. I'm down to 800 now, and have started rationing my supply- limiting myself to just 100 rounds any time I take it out shooting.

That is my 3rd Ruger 10/22 build. The first one is on the left of the picture above. The 2nd one- I had to tear it apart to use the parts to build that P90 with. I plan on buying another 10/22 eventually to put that build back together. But here's a picture of that 2nd build

N2rock is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 AM
JKO Addict!
 
BigMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GA
Age: 57
Posts: 3,341
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Yeah, finding 22LR at a reasonable price has been stupidly difficult for over a year. I had 4000 rounds January of 2013. I'm down to 800 now, and have started rationing my supply- limiting myself to just 100 rounds any time I take it out shooting.

That is my 3rd Ruger 10/22 build. The first one is on the left of the picture above. The 2nd one- I had to tear it apart to use the parts to build that P90 with. I plan on buying another 10/22 eventually to put that build back together. But here's a picture of that 2nd build

Very nice!

How are the 10/22 prices? What is the total cost to build a replica using a 10/22?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
BigMike is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
N2rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Age: 55
Posts: 3,887
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Very nice!

How are the 10/22 prices? What is the total cost to build a replica using a 10/22?
10/22 prices are around $250 these days. Sometimes you can find used ones for less, which is the best way to go if you're going to turn it into something else.

The P90 kit is $240: http://www.hightowerarmory.com/Produ...ode=HTA9022BLK If anyone were to build one of those I highly recommend an aftermarket trigger since the P90 adds weight to the trigger pull (and the standard 10/22 trigger is horrific). My donor 10/22 had a 2lb aftermarket trigger, so the P90's added weight it's still not too bad (around 4lb)

Now that AR one- well that one got expensive because it is using real AR-15 furniture. I didn't buy a 10/22, I purchased every piece individually instead of buying a donor gun. Spent $100 on the receiver, another $100 on the trigger, $150 on the bull barrel. The chassis was $180. And then all the AR-15 furniture. In the end I had $600+ into it, which is pretty stupid for a 22LR rifle LOL It was just one of those things where once I started it, I had to see it thru regardless of the cost LOL
N2rock is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 02-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Niles, IL
Posts: 15
Feedback: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to spoil9

Very nice family you got there. Like the P90 build, might have to try that one day.

Wanting a 2012+ JKU 4dr Hard top in Commando Green.
2.5" lift w/ 33" tires on stock rims
Full roof rack with light bar
Spare tire carrier with dual Jerry Cans
Ham and CB radios and plenty of Tuffy Security products with a Viper 2-way alarm
-----------------
- Will
bcfparts.com
spoil9 is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 02-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Granite Guru
 
lank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 428
Feedback: 0 reviews

Spike's lower, Yankee Hill upper, 14.5" barrel with pinned and welded comp. ACOG with bullet drop compensation.

lank is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 02-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Shadow Ops Weaponry billet lower with custom engraving
Barrel: 16" hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN, 1/7 twist, mid-length gas
Cera-plated M16 BCG (electroless nickel/boron nitrite bath)
Handguard: 12" Midwest Industries Gen2 SS Series
ACE Skeleton stock
Primary Arms 4X Compact Scope

Can't wait to take it out and confirm it functions correctly






do you have any links? for the parts etc… i am looking at building one.but just starting to plan it out now
4x4Mickey is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 02-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 22,086
Feedback: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
The family photo

And before anyone asks- no it's not a real P90, I can't afford the real thing. It's a Ruger 10/22 P90 stock.

Very nice, now you just need to compliment those with a reach out and touch someone from a long way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 02-26-2014, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
N2rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Age: 55
Posts: 3,887
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Mickey View Post
do you have any links? for the parts etc… i am looking at building one.but just starting to plan it out now
Sorry for the delay, been out of town. But yeah, if you want any details on where I bought any of the parts, just let me know which part. I bought parts from all over the place. It took a year to get that lower, so I had plenty of time to shop for the other parts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Very nice, now you just need to compliment those with a reach out and touch someone from a long way out.
Well my next purchase will be for something much closer- something for CC. Would love to have something long way out, but my wallet tells me to stick to close range LOL
N2rock is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 02-26-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
N2rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Age: 55
Posts: 3,887
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lank View Post
Spike's lower, Yankee Hill upper, 14.5" barrel with pinned and welded comp. ACOG with bullet drop compensation.

Very nice!!!

Nice to see someone else using the Ace stock. Just don't see too many builds with that.
N2rock is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 06-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Granite Guru
 
dola12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: mass
Posts: 383
Feedback: 0 reviews

Im new to shooting .22 or any other rifle for that matter.A friend gave me a marlin glen field model 20 bolt action that I refinished the stock installed a small bipod and scope and enjoyed doing this little project. With this being said Im getting the idea of getting a ruger 1022 tactical and adding a scope. I have the bolt action 22 and thinking about going in this direction.

Given this info would it be better to just buy the cheapest 1022 and try to duplicate the style of the tactical 1022 (I'm looking on a longer bull barrel and a olive green gouge stock ) but on the same idea, or buy the receiver and trigger assembly ect from a manufacturer and try to piece one together ? How hard is it to put the "working or firing mechanisms together Im good withe the stock, barrel ,scope ,bipod end of things just a little leary of the working parts ?How do i go about ordering and what direction should i start looking thanks cut me some slack Im new to this whole rifle thing
dola12 is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 06-04-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
N2rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Age: 55
Posts: 3,887
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dola12 View Post
Im new to shooting .22 or any other rifle for that matter.A friend gave me a marlin glen field model 20 bolt action that I refinished the stock installed a small bipod and scope and enjoyed doing this little project. With this being said Im getting the idea of getting a ruger 1022 tactical and adding a scope. I have the bolt action 22 and thinking about going in this direction.

Given this info would it be better to just buy the cheapest 1022 and try to duplicate the style of the tactical 1022 (I'm looking on a longer bull barrel and a olive green gouge stock ) but on the same idea, or buy the receiver and trigger assembly ect from a manufacturer and try to piece one together ? How hard is it to put the "working or firing mechanisms together Im good withe the stock, barrel ,scope ,bipod end of things just a little leary of the working parts ?How do i go about ordering and what direction should i start looking thanks cut me some slack Im new to this whole rifle thing
That depends on your budget. Buying a 10/22 tactical is going to be cheaper than building it.

Picture below is a 10/22 tactical that I built from the ground up. All the parts together cost me $600 (not including the scope). So yeah, it would've been cheaper to just buy one. But by the same token, I have a lot of quality components into the. But in the end, it's still only a 10/22 and I would never be able to sell it for the amount I've got into it.

But if you're just in the mood to build it yourself, you should go to the rimfirecentral.com forums and join up. Tons of good info there, and if you keep an eye on the "trading post" area, you can find parts being sold on there constantly. I bought my receiver, trigger group, and bull barrel there.


N2rock is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 06-04-2014, 04:12 PM
Granite Guru
 
dola12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: mass
Posts: 383
Feedback: 0 reviews

thanks for the info ! how hard is it to put the working mechanisms together ,trigger assembly and receiver ?
dola12 is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
N2rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Age: 55
Posts: 3,887
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dola12 View Post
thanks for the info ! how hard is it to put the working mechanisms together ,trigger assembly and receiver ?
So simple a caveman can do it 1 screw, 2 pins, a bolt buffer pin, and that it. No special tools required. Although this tool does help with removing/installing the bolt.

Here's a video showing how simple the breakdown is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZs9RwlT5so
N2rock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome