Gun newbie suggestions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Gun newbie suggestions

Been shooting rifles since I was 8. Want a handgun, want to keep it cheap.
The glock 20 in 10 mm is looking really good for balance of size, power, and portability; factory rebuilt comes in under $500
Anybody have any suggestions?

I finally understand JustEmptyEveryPocket...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Concealed carry? Home protection? Plinking/ fun?

You will get a ton of different opinions/ preferences from our resident gun-crowd, so a little more info regarding your needs/ intentions would be helpful.

I personally would suggest handling and shooting as many different guns/ calibers/ models as possible to see what feels right for you. Here in Texas, there are many ranges that will allow you to rent guns so that you can get a feel for what you like.

I'm one of those guys that love many different types/ models/ brands/ calibers, so to each his own. Cost is obviously something to consider, but buying a gun that you enjoy shooting and will use is much more important imo.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 02:12 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07013 View Post
Been shooting rifles since I was 8. Want a handgun, want to keep it cheap.
The glock 20 in 10 mm is looking really good for balance of size, power, and portability; factory rebuilt comes in under $500
Anybody have any suggestions?
Glock 20 (10mm) is about as potent as a .45ACP. It kicks! I would go to a local gun range and RENT various pistols and LISTEN to the advice of the guy behind the counter for what your intended use is.
Here is a review of the Glock 20 (make your own opinion): http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-20-10mm-auto/
Another thing to consider is how much each round will cost you to shoot. Ammo is scarce and expensive nowadays.

I carry a Glock 19 (9mm). It is light weight, lethal enough, and cheaper to shoot ($.26/round). If I am at the range, I can spend all day plinking with my S&W Model 41 (.22)...very cheap to shoot, kicks little, and is precise as Hell.

2008 JK Rubi on big tires and stuff, RIPP supercharger.
Various dents and scratches.

Last edited by Acey; 01-15-2014 at 02:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 04:51 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Glock 20 (10mm) is about as potent as a .45ACP. It kicks! I would go to a local gun range and RENT various pistols and LISTEN to the advice of the guy behind the counter for what your intended use is.
Here is a review of the Glock 20 (make your own opinion): http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-20-10mm-auto/
Another thing to consider is how much each round will cost you to shoot. Ammo is scarce and expensive nowadays.

I carry a Glock 19 (9mm). It is light weight, lethal enough, and cheaper to shoot ($.26/round). If I am at the range, I can spend all day plinking with my S&W Model 41 (.22)...very cheap to shoot, kicks little, and is precise as Hell.
You are just not looking in the right places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 05:58 AM
JKO Addict!

jesus christ dude. 10mm for your first pistol?

how about starting with a 9mm and going from there lol. 10mm isnt unreasonable. i mean, it's not like shooting 460v. But still. you need some pretty good muzzle control to keep the muzzle flip in check on a 10mm.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #6 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Concealed carry? Home protection? Plinking/ fun?

You will get a ton of different opinions/ preferences from our resident gun-crowd, so a little more info regarding your needs/ intentions would be helpful.

I personally would suggest handling and shooting as many different guns/ calibers/ models as possible to see what feels right for you. Here in Texas, there are many ranges that will allow you to rent guns so that you can get a feel for what you like.

I'm one of those guys that love many different types/ models/ brands/ calibers, so to each his own. Cost is obviously something to consider, but buying a gun that you enjoy shooting and will use is much more important imo.

Quote:

This is basically what some friends around here have told me, and ultimately what I'll end up doing; shoot as much as possible to see what feels right.

For right now I think I'm more interested in home protection, haven't quite gotten used to the idea of concealed carry, and from what I've read, the 20 is not the most concealable of the bunch anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
jesus christ dude. 10mm for your first pistol?

how about starting with a 9mm and going from there lol. 10mm isnt unreasonable. i mean, it's not like shooting 460v. But still. you need some pretty good muzzle control to keep the muzzle flip in check on a 10mm.
Wouldn't muzzle control come with practice?

I finally understand JustEmptyEveryPocket...
post #7 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Start out with an affordable .22LR pistol. It will be cheaper to train on.

MikeP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

The Glock minis (26 and up) are far more concealable, but for home protection, size should be irrelevant. Well, in terms of concealment, it matters, but at home, you don't need to hide it (unless your wife's anti-gun, and then you're just screwed).
Aren't we all supposed to just have a double-barrel to shoot out the door randomly for home defense anyways?

All kidding aside, the 10mm is a rather uncommon round, and NOT anywhere on my top 10 list for home defense, largely for that reason. Glocks don't like handloads (at least Glock doesn't), and that pushes it further down the list (DO NOT USE HANDLOADS FOR HOME DEFENSE! Potential legal issues that aren't worth the risk, yada yada yada).

If you are looking for a Glock for concealed carry, the 36 is where it's at- .45 ACP, single stack magazine (relatively skinny, for a Glock), and easy to control. Yes, muzzle control comes with practice, but starting with a mid-size 10mm would be like learning to drive on a hot Corvette- sure, you can, but there are far smarter places to start.

If you are looking for a Glock that'll just hold down the bedside table, a 21 is your best bet. Again, .45 ACP, but full size- no concealment worries at home, as I mentioned. The full size frame means less recoil, so you can more easily place your follow-up shots, and be more likely to hit with every round (Lord willing) if you ever need to. They're not overly heavy, and they're plentiful, and so is ammunition.

Of course, without knowing where you live, all of this is just conjecture, as local laws (like if you're here in NYS) may throw much of this out- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #9 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Granite Guru

I'm a gun nut and I've never come across a 10mm. They really must be rare and the ammo even more rare. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

From what I've read the .40 replaced the 10mm because it kept breaking slides and components on the pistols.

If it's your first gun you really can't beat a Glock 9mm. But shoot a few different calibers and see what you like.

Bullets poke holes. Just find what you're comfortable shooting.

Oh, and anyone who says 9mm ain't worth a crap won't let you put one in their chest!
post #10 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

".45ACP...because it's just silly to shoot more than once."

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #11 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
You are just not looking in the right places.
Here in Georgia, I had to go to five different places to find 380 Auto ammo. Wally World is flat out of most pistol ammo (more than one location). YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flomingo View Post
I'm a gun nut and I've never come across a 10mm. They really must be rare and the ammo even more rare. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

I have rented a 10mm and found it to be better than the 40...purely for stopping power. But I have heard the same thing, that it is an odd caliber that has fallen out of favor for the .40.

Oh, and anyone who says 9mm ain't worth a crap won't let you put one in their chest!
Buy this guy a beer! No shit...I would not want to be hit with a 9mm.

2008 JK Rubi on big tires and stuff, RIPP supercharger.
Various dents and scratches.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flomingo View Post

From what I've read the .40 replaced the 10mm because it kept breaking slides and components on the pistols.

If it's your first gun you really can't beat a Glock 9mm. But shoot a few different calibers and see what you like.

Bullets poke holes. Just find what you're comfortable shooting.

I believe that the FBI switched from .38 spcl revolvers to 10mm. Most agents couldn't handle the load so they wanted a new caliber and .40 SW and .357 Sig were created. 10mm wasn't breaking slides, it is essentially like a .40 Mag if there was one.

OP, why Glock? They are great guns for a great price but a Springfield XD and Smith and Wesson M&P are in the same price range and great as well. 10mm would be too much to handle for a first pistol. A full-size 9mm would probably suit you best, Glock 17, Springfield XD9 or Smith M&P9.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #13 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to spoil9

Go to your local gun store and try several different frames. Although the the Glock may look nice, (I don't like them) they may not feel right in your hand. Also try the XDm series, the M&P series, the 1911, Beretta, etc. Each grip has a slightly different feel and each gun will have a slightly different balance. Both are important for you to like or you'll have a hard time hitting the target.

Also, the bigger the round, the less you can carry per mag, and the more expensive it is. 9mm is still pretty cheap and if you think it's too small of a round, remember that the Navy seals still use it. No one laughs are 2 in the chest and 1 in the head.

Wanting a 2012+ JKU 4dr Hard top in Commando Green.
2.5" lift w/ 33" tires on stock rims
Full roof rack with light bar
Spare tire carrier with dual Jerry Cans
Ham and CB radios and plenty of Tuffy Security products with a Viper 2-way alarm
-----------------
- Will
bcfparts.com
post #14 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 03:41 PM
Rock God

I have a different take...
Go to your local gun stores and see what ammo is on the shelf.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Here in Georgia, I had to go to five different places to find 380 Auto ammo. Wally World is flat out of most pistol ammo (more than one location). YMMV.Buy this guy a beer! No shit...I would not want to be hit with a 9mm.
Try this for ammo. >>>>> http://www.gunbot.net

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #16 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Granite Guru

Love my springfield xd9sc! Looking forward to my cpl coming soon!

A.C.E.'D 2010 2 dr sport
Bestop Trektop NX
R.R. Mirror Relocation
A.C.E. Front Bumper W/ Stinger
A.C.E. Rock Rails
A.C.E. Steel Fenders
48" Hilift Xtreme W/ A.C.E. Hood Mount
A.C.E. Rear Bumper and tire carrier
Rock krawler 3.5 max travel mid arm
35 in mud grapplers on 20 in xd hoss
post #17 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 06:08 PM
JKO Addict!

I own a G20 in 10mm. Ammo is scarce and expensive relative to other calibers. Most of the inexpensive ammo is nothing more than .40 S&W ballistics. The more expensive stuff is somewhere between .357 mag and .41mag ballistics. I bought mine for woods protection but have moved on to .44 mag. I like my G20 and still shoot it.
post #18 of 23 Old 01-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Rock God

Garage

I love my G20 but mostly for a woods gun that can be concealed in the winter. I love shooting it, I love the power but if you can't shoot it comfortably it will be useless.

For home defense I've got my G20 in my sock drawer with a loaded shotgun behind the bed as well as an AR stashed away ready to go. My CCW gun is my .38 special loaded with Buffalo Bore +P which are extremely potent rounds. It just makes more sense for me to carry something I can easily conceal day to day.

One of these days I really want to get a semi-auto that's suitable for conceal carry but until then I'm competent with my pistols I own and I'm happy with them.

Even with how much I love my 10mm, I love the way it shoots, I love the ballistics...I still wouldn't recommend it for a primary pistol.

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #19 of 23 Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Same old arguement 9mm or .45. Yes they both poke holes. 9mm is a high speed, high pressure, high penetration round. .45 is a low pressure, low speed, high energy inpact round. I prefer .45. For home defense I'm confident it's going to stop anyone and not go through walls and end up hitting someone or something I don't want it to. It's also big and heavy, so the gun will be also in comparison to a 9mm.

I have a Glock 21 which is the same size as the 20 and like it, but the stock barrel can't be used with high pressure rounds. I replaced the barrel with one that can use high pressure rounds, is theaded and has a comp. It shoot much nice and is more acurrate, but it added an inch and a half to an already big gun. I also added the +2 mag extenders so it carries 15 rounds. I think it's a great home defense, range gun, but kinda big to carry.

My suggestion for a carry gun would be an XDM. I have a compact in .45 that I love.

Go shoot a bunch and see what you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #20 of 23 Old 01-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Rock God

M&P9c.

Compact, 9mm, good for CCW. Can keep it in the night stand with a full size 17rnd mag for home defense. It's the best of both worlds.

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
2010 Jeep JK Sport 2dr/6spd/3.73's

Go visit
...and tell your friends!
post #21 of 23 Old 01-16-2014, 12:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Well I'm a total idiot when it comes to guns and just recently bought my first couple of hand guns. First was a FNH FNX .45 tactical. Really sexy and shoots very nice. I would carry this all the time if i had to. Super smooth with very little recoil. Pretty expensive but I'm really liking it. Second was a Springfield XDM .45 compact 3.8. Not nearly as nice as the FN but then again its only half the price. It has a little more kick but very, very manageable as far as I'm concerned. If I do start carrying this will be it for me.

Meg has a Glock 23 .40 and it has way more recoil. I personally don't care that much for it but like the 9mm, the ammo is cheaper and seems more readily available from what I'm seeing, at least right now.

I also like the idea of a .45 for home use and were I to start sleeping with it for that reason I'm pretty confident either of mine would do the job just fine. I'm being told my next purchase will be a shotgun though as the best home defense....from those who know better than I. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #22 of 23 Old 01-17-2014, 02:12 PM
JKO Addict!

There are a ton of good guns out there, so don't limit yourself too much. I personally would avoid 10mm and go for a more standard round. .40 (10mm short/weak ), .45 ACP, 9mm.

Be cognizant of its use. Target/plinking, home defense, carry? All different. For example I carry a Kahr .45 and 9mm, and the long, smooth trigger and light weight make it a great carry gun for concealed self defense use. But that doesn't make a good home defense gun (lack of capacity, light weight makes muzzle control more difficult). For that I have an FNX-9 and FNX-45. Those are fun range guns too. For real target shooting, a hair-trigger single action like a 1911 is a great gun....but you don't want to carry that or use it for home defense, while under duress that is not the kind of gun to have....know what I'm saying here? Know what you'll use it for and go from there.

Pistol shooting is radically different than rifles. A .22 pistol to learn technique and keep it on the cheap is a great starting point.

Good advice given: Rent and try a bunch of 'em. Can't try too many.

Questionable advice given: Talk to the guy behind the counter a lot. You've got a 50/50 shot of getting some know-it-all elitist jackass that will tell you what you're interested in sucks and why you should buy something else. I can go either way, tread with caution.

Most of all, take your time and find what you really want. There are very few truly shitty guns out there these days. You have a lot of choices.

And if it's only for home defense, buy a 12-gauge and load it with buckshot.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #23 of 23 Old 01-17-2014, 04:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

^ Excellent advice right there. To the last bit, check out the PDX-1 loads- buckshot with a slug- devastating combo that won't over-penetrate- the slugs seem to be softer- went through ~2.25 phone books (our phone books aren't too thick, either), then stopped in #3, but RIPPED THEM UP on the way. Very impressive- that would ruin someone's day without endangering the neighbors- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode