AR10 suggestions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 12-19-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question AR10 suggestions

Looking to get a AR10 in the near future.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

I really don't want to spend more than $1500 but can manage $2000.

So far I am leaning towards the FN SCAR 17 or a SIG 716

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
THANK A VETERAN

"It's a Freedom Thing"

Last edited by Bluewaterrider; 12-19-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-20-2013, 03:32 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to warcop

I was faced with this same quandary several months ago. In the end I dropped the idea of a AR10 and went with a M1A as they both shoot .308 or 7.62. In the end I went with the M1A. However, I quickly learned that M1A's are as expensive as Jeeps when it comes to modifications. Overall I am happy with the decision I made.

Warcop

2012 JKU Sport, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex, Smittybilt SRC Side Armor, Mesh Grille MOD, Sony Double DIN AV Receiver, Back up Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, ARB Twin Compressor, Dominion Off Road High Lift Mount, Homemade Paracord Grab Handles, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Paramount Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, KC Hilites Daylighters, under seat lock box, Metal Cloak Front Bumper, BARTACT Seat Covers, BARTACT Sun Shade, x20 Comp Winch, sPOD, ARB Air lockers, 4.10 Gears.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-20-2013, 03:50 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcop View Post
I was faced with this same quandary several months ago. In the end I dropped the idea of a AR10 and went with a M1A as they both shoot .308 or 7.62. In the end I went with the M1A. However, I quickly learned that M1A's are as expensive as Jeeps when it comes to modifications. Overall I am happy with the decision I made.
If I had my choice of what was shooting the .308, I'd go M1A. I like the traditional rifle style so much better than the AR style.

I'm sure any gun manufacturer would have a decent setup, DPMS for cheaper to more expensive like Rock River.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2010 2 door manual sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 12-20-2013, 06:04 AM
Rock God

M1A is the best way to go. Ask Gunny, (Uncle Sam's Misguided Child) about his. That thing is just as nice a perfect set of tits. If I were going AR-10 I would look at the M&P AR-10.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 22 Old 12-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Picked this up a few months back, haven't shot it yet topped it off with a NF .....yea I know I've got a couple I haven't shot since acquiring....

http://www.blackrainordnance.com/pro...ifles/bro-pg16

post #6 of 22 Old 12-20-2013, 08:24 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

A 308 battle rifle will be the next in my collection and I'm in the same boat.

I've narrowed it down a bit to a DPMS 3G1, Sig 716 or Ruger SR-762.

The DPMS uses common AR-10 stuff for a lot of accessories and can be had for under $1400 online.

The Sig, well it's a Sig. The cheapest I've seen them is $1600.

The Ruger is new and seems to be a good rifle, but is priced about same as the Sig.

The Rock River is all proprietary stuff, so parts sourcing is limited. It does use Fal mags which is nice since I have a bunch. It's also expensive.

I love the M1A, but can't buy one is MD anymore. I also prefer the AR platform, because I'm familiar with it and would buy one before the M1 as well as an M1 if I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #7 of 22 Old 12-20-2013, 03:11 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I have an Armalite A10A4CBF and have been very pleased with it. It will accept third party magazines and I paid just over $1500 for it during the "scare".

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...3-83959df8252d

It is on the left. I have a 3 x 9 scope on it and it hits and kills whatever I point it at. I've been very happy with the gun using Fusion .308. It did not like CBC ammo when I tried that. After two casing got stuck in it I vowed to not shoot anything cheap in it again. That isn't a fun scenario.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 22 Old 12-21-2013, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thumbs up THANKS !

Thanks for all the great feedback !!!

This is exactly the kind of info I need to keep narrowing down my decision.

Please keep them coming

THANK A VETERAN

"It's a Freedom Thing"
post #9 of 22 Old 12-27-2013, 07:16 AM
Granite Guru

There are a couple reasons why I support getting an AR10 over the m1a platform. I train on the ar15 with such regularity that making the jump to the ar10 is easy because all of the controls are in the same spot. Cost wise you can spend $1000-$3500 and anywhere in between but the parts for the AR10 are pretty reasonable in price and there is good after market support. The other thing is weight. The m1a, with a top rail, is a bit heavier than the ar10 by about 2 pounds. That being said there is something special about the m1a that is undeniable. The look and feel is something you just dont get with the ar10.

In my experience both are very capable platforms. Get the right one and you can expect sub moa accuracy without too much work. There is a lack of interchangeability between the various ar10 manufacturers but I would stick with one that uses the sr25/dpms mags as they are also supported by magpul. I had some issues with a rock river rifle having magazine related failures only to learn that their mags are proprietary. Somebody else mentioned that RRA uses FAL type mags....yes and no. The mags RRA uses are inch based, not metric. This created all sorts of headaches and the rifle has since been shelved. Pity because the price was right. A POF rifle that took its place is pretty damn nice but a shade over $2000. That being said the rifle comes complete from the factory, uses a piston system based on the FAL design, and is very accurate and soft shooting. I had a DPMS that 308ap4 that I sold a few years ago that was fun to shoot but not as well finished as some of the other offerings on the market. Then again it was $1000 out the door.

I would like to try out a JP enterprise ar10 one of these days but they are few and far between.

(POF P308 upper left, 1970's M14 lower left)

2012 Rubicon Unlimited

Its almost done!!!!!!!!!!!
-Dan Jones

Last edited by MrJones944; 12-27-2013 at 07:20 AM.
post #10 of 22 Old 12-28-2013, 05:25 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcop View Post
I told you shit was not cheap.

Yes the familiarity with the AR is nice but I would stick to a platform that has proven itself for over 40 years. Why did the military chose to go back to the M14/M1A as their .308 "battle rifle"? Because it is proven.

Plus when you pull this thing out of its case people quickly turn their head and want to get all finger fucky with it. If you shoot an AR10 it just looks like any other AR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #11 of 22 Old 12-28-2013, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question

Quote:
I told you shit was not cheap.

Yes the familiarity with the AR is nice but I would stick to a platform that has proven itself for over 40 years. Why did the military chose to go back to the M14/M1A as their .308 "battle rifle"? Because it is proven.

Plus when you pull this thing out of its case people quickly turn their head and want to get all finger fucky with it. If you shoot an AR10 it just looks like any other AR.
That M1 is awesome !

What kind of $ does it take to build one like this ? ( minus the optic )

THANK A VETERAN

"It's a Freedom Thing"
post #12 of 22 Old 12-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

That one is the loaded version with match stainless barrell match sights and match trigger group. That will set you back around 1800 then another 800 for the sage ebr stock. plus the 200 for the scooe mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #13 of 22 Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
That one is the loaded version with match stainless barrell match sights and match trigger group. That will set you back around 1800 then another 800 for the sage ebr stock. plus the 200 for the scooe mount.
I have a question about weight. I love my rifle (SASS), but it weighs 16 lbs while fully equipped for long-range shooting. Even if I strip it down to flip-up sights, no bi-pod and a skeleton stock, it still weighs 11 lbs. That is heavy as hell compared to my 8 lb M4 and my 6 lbs MP5.

OP...

I gave a lot of thought to going AR or M1, but ended up with the AR platform. I love the modular design, the fact that things like the trigger groups from the AR15 platform work with it and parts are easy to find at a reasonable price. Then again, what hobby is cheap?

I put about 80 rounds through it so far. Today was the first time I had it to the range.

This pic was me zeroing at 107 yards. 1/2 MOA grouping with a rifle getting broken in seems pretty good to me.

post #14 of 22 Old 12-28-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcspaz View Post
I have a question about weight. I love my rifle (SASS), but it weighs 16 lbs while fully equipped for long-range shooting. Even if I strip it down to flip-up sights, no bi-pod and a skeleton stock, it still weighs 11 lbs. That is heavy as hell compared to my 8 lb M4 and my 6 lbs MP5.

OP...

I gave a lot of thought to going AR or M1, but ended up with the AR platform. I love the modular design, the fact that things like the trigger groups from the AR15 platform work with it and parts are easy to find at a reasonable price. Then again, what hobby is cheap?

I put about 80 rounds through it so far. Today was the first time I had it to the range.

This pic was me zeroing at 107 yards. 1/2 MOA grouping with a rifle getting broken in seems pretty good to me.

is this a ArmaLite SASS in the pics ? can you give me the build specs ? I am still leaning toward a AR10 set up like this for mostly 90% bench/stationary/prone use. Thanks !

THANK A VETERAN

"It's a Freedom Thing"

Last edited by Bluewaterrider; 12-28-2013 at 09:09 PM.
post #15 of 22 Old 12-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaterrider View Post
is this a ArmaLite SASS in the pics ? can you give me the build specs ? I am still leaning toward a AR10 set up like this for mostly 90% bench/stationary/prone use. Thanks !

It is a DPMS. This specific model in this link.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/LRT-SASS_ep_92-1.html

As it sits, I'm at $2,800. I spent $2,000 for the rifle, $500 for the scope and mount, $80 for the bi-pod quick release, $125 for the mono-pod and about $50 for the strap.

Some guys will spend more than that on glass, but I can't see any difference and clarity or light when I look through $3,500 glass and $300 glass.

It shoots 7.62 NATO / .308 Winchester.

It comes with...
A free floated 18" Teflon coated barrel
14" quad rail
Magpul PRS stock
Quad rail covers
Bi-pod
JP comp single stage adjustable trigger.
Magpul backup sights

I added...
Magpul Mono Pod
MagPul rail covers
Bushnell 6-18x50 scope
American Defense Quick Release scope mount
American Defense Quick Release bi-pod mount
VTAC MK II multi-point rapid adjust cinch strap

If you use a 167 to 175 grain round, you should be doing 1,000 meters reliably. That is why I bought it; for medium to long range shooting. Want to learn long range on something cheap to shoot before I step up to a .338 Lapua for beyond 1,000+ meters.

Last edited by marcspaz; 12-28-2013 at 10:42 PM.
post #16 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

if only...

If the $ was not a limiting factor this would be THE one !

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_produ...rp_general.asp

THANK A VETERAN

"It's a Freedom Thing"
post #17 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Rock God

You can get a used one for about $3,000 - $3,500. I wouldn't spend the 7 grand on a new one. You are paying a $1,000 just for the glass. Nikon makes the lenses for Leupold, so I just got the Nikon version of that scope for $80 on sale.

Last edited by marcspaz; 01-09-2014 at 08:13 PM.
post #18 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaterrider View Post
Looking to get a AR10 in the near future.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

I really don't want to spend more than $1500 but can manage $2000.

So far I am leaning towards the FN SCAR 17 or a SIG 716

I built my own FAL in an Imbel receiver with an Argy CL barrel back when mags were $6 and 200 round battle packs were $20. I still have it but I don't shoot it much. Since the milsurp NATO ammo dried up it doesn't make much sense. If I didn't already have a hoard of mags and ammo I wouldn't start now.

Sub MOA with a battle rifle is non-existant.
post #19 of 22 Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mac View Post
Ain't that the truth. My Mil Spec M4 is Minute of Man, not Minute of Angle. At 100 yards with my 18x50 scope, bi-pod and mono-pod, I am thrilled to have 1.5 to 2.0 MOA groups. With the EOTech at 1x while standing, 6 to 10 MOA depending on the day I'm having and how fast I am firing.

Up side... I can empty two 30 round mags in about 15-18 seconds including the mag swap with zero issues. Man is that fun.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-10-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question ?????????

Quote:
I built my own FAL in an Imbel receiver with an Argy CL barrel back when mags were $6 and 200 round battle packs were $20. I still have it but I don't shoot it much. Since the milsurp NATO ammo dried up it doesn't make much sense. If I didn't already have a hoard of mags and ammo I wouldn't start now.

Why not? .308 ammo is still around from what i have been seeing

THANK A VETERAN

"It's a Freedom Thing"
post #21 of 22 Old 01-13-2014, 02:20 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:

When and where were you paying 10 cent a round for 7.62x51?

Quote:
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #22 of 22 Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I like it a lot. Looks like the the navy eod tech's secondary "counter IED" rifle. Had a bunch of fun with that in Iraq. You ever miss the wood stock? If money didn't matter I'd have each period correct battle rifle and tricked out versions of WWII to present.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode