Another CCW question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 12-15-2013, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Another CCW question

Alright I've signed up to take my class after the holidays. I'm look at a pistol in 45ACP. The question I have is which one would you choose under these crit.

1) Daily carry & home defense.

2) Carrying while out hiking (and as I like to go out prospecting and sometimes go out west) want something fairly low maintenance while I'm out in the field. I would most likely be carrying open while hiking.

3) I have around a $600 budget.

I went out and looked at some pistols and I like the feel of the Kahr CW45, Springfield XD-M 45 (the XD-S seems a little small) or a 1911 commander (manufacture is open). I'd like to have real world input on any of these pistols especially while carrying while out hiking.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

RK 2.5MT w/ Fox remotes. Front Rubicon axle with Terraflex sleeves & upper C gussets & self made axle truss & skids. Rear Rubicon axles with self made skids. Stock 4:10 gears. 37x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grapple on stock painted wheels. XRC8000Comp winch on stock stubby bumper. Smitty overhead console. Uniden CB w/ 105" whip. DiabloSport Trinity.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-15-2013, 07:48 PM
JKO Addict!

my 45's I carry.

XD 45, full size. Unless your body is built for it (have an ass, not be fat) or wear loose clothing it will print. Its a FULL SIZE gun luckily I have an ass and am not fat so I carry small of the back and you would never see it. If I am wearing a coat/whatever I will also wear it strong side.
Shoots very well, lots of big hunks of lead in it, never had any issues. Only mods I have done besides ceracoating is some night sights.

XDs: love this little bastard. small as fuck but is not horrible to shoot (same size as my Kel-tec 9, which SUCKS to shoot) My hands are larger so I have Peirce finger extension on mine but can shoot it fine without. Its a lot less rounds than my XD so you better make them count. sights kinda suck, put tritium/fiber optic on it and its much better. Its a total CCW weapon, I can hide it in most normal clothing with no issues.
Downside: don't pussy it. rack HARD to chamber, rack HARD to clear a round, be a bitch and you get issues.

I do not carry my 1911, its heavy and has low round count. If I need heavy I will carry my XD with twice as much rounds, if I need slim I will carry my XDs. I love 1911's, but I don't CCW them. And a tight accurate 1911 can be dirt sensitive.

If it was me I would get the XDm, myself I like the XD better but whatever. You can CCW it with proper holstering, it has the round capacity for outdoor oh shit situations, fullsize so no issues with gloves and its pretty hard to kill.

But go SHOOT THEM first!! 45 Glocks are a nice option, but I don't like shooting 45 glocks for some reason. You will find some guns you like to shoot better.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Rock God

XDs great pistol to carry all day. Shoots great! My 1911 Kimber sits in a safe. Also carry at times Bond Arms 45LC 410 shotshell derringer. If shooting a 410 or 45lc or 45acp all in the same gun, check out the SW Governor....
There, that's my 3 1/2 cents worth. Hope it helps.... or confuses.. LOL Just spend some money on a good holster!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 12-16-2013, 03:24 AM
Rock God

The XD is a good gun, reliable, accurate and within your budget. I'm a huge fan of 1911s but with your budget your probably better off looking at the XD even the glocks or M&Ps. If your open to more than just semi autos. You can never go wrong with a S&W model 60 or a Ruger LCR.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 23 Old 12-16-2013, 07:10 AM
Granite Guru

I have and carry regularly my Colt Defender in 45. No issues.

I also have a ppks 380 and a XDs 45. Depending on dress, but I prefer the Colt 45. The 380 has some quality rds out for a small gun. Same rd count as a single stack 1911 or XDs
post #6 of 23 Old 12-16-2013, 09:12 AM
JKO Addict!

All good choices. Personally I carry a Kahr P45, very similar to the CW45 you are considering.

Remember that the most important part of carrying is that you actually do it. Buy something too big, too heavy, or too hard to conceal and you are not going to want to carry it. A lot depends on your comfort level with these things and your body build. Sometimes I feel like I should be carrying more than 7 rounds, and in the same thought I realize that if I need more than 7 rounds I'm fucked either way. If I went with something larger and with higher capacity I would not want to carry it, especially in summer. There are a lot of personal choices to make about carrying.

Keep in mind there is a larger investment here as well. Do it once and do it right. You need a good belt, anything from a Wilderness for $45 to a nice leather belt for up to $100 or more, plus a good holster. Factor in another $200-ish total to get set up the right way for carry.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #7 of 23 Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the replies guys.

Doc, the weight of a 1911 did concern me a little bit, I didn't care for the grip feel of the cc size Glocks compared to the the XD or even the Kahr. I have an avg build but do have a ass (a nice one according to the wife ) so that my help in holster placement options.

Randyd & Rolltidejk, I'm not a fan of any SW mainly due to how they caved during the Clinton days. I know that was a while ago and things have changed but I also try to avoid going to Citgo for fuel.

Badger, hear you on the holster, that's why I was looking around 600 for a weapon and then I'd have some funds left to spend on the needed accessories.

RK 2.5MT w/ Fox remotes. Front Rubicon axle with Terraflex sleeves & upper C gussets & self made axle truss & skids. Rear Rubicon axles with self made skids. Stock 4:10 gears. 37x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grapple on stock painted wheels. XRC8000Comp winch on stock stubby bumper. Smitty overhead console. Uniden CB w/ 105" whip. DiabloSport Trinity.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #8 of 23 Old 12-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Wheeler

Talking

Glock 29SF. The only pistol you will ever need

Pat
2012 MT6 Unlimited Rubicon stock
2004 UZJ100 stock
Past:
2007 FJ MT6 OME 33's
1995 FZJ 80 OME, Locked w/ 33's
1985 Toy Truck
post #9 of 23 Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Wheeler

My 2 cents would be to go to a gun range and ask to rent several different calibers of different brands of handguns. I just don't think you should count out other calibers.

9mm is pretty nice because it's super easy to shoot and usually holds a few more rounds compared to its larger sized caliber brothers. And with the technology in ammo today the ballistics of a 9mm is pretty similar to 40 and 45.

45 is an awesome round because it has awesome stopping power! But it is also harder to shoot than 9mm and doesn't hold as many rounds as a 9mm or a 40

I personally am not a huge fan of 40 even tho I do own a SW m&p 40. Maybe it's just me but it's a much harder round to shoot, well at least with follow up shots. It seems to have more of a snap to it rather than a push.

I personally carry a XDs 45. But that's because I bought it before they came out with the 9mm. I would definitely look at that one now. I have fairly large hands and with the pinky extension I bought for my mags the XDs fits great in my hands! Also I know you said you weren't a fan of SW but I highly suggest taking a look at their m&p shield.

Again that's just my opinion. Hope it helps!
post #10 of 23 Old 12-21-2013, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Dirk, I just didn't like the feel of the couple of Glocks I've looked at.

Akrik, I had a 9mm before and just don't quite believe in the round if my life really depended on it. I currently hunt with a 44mag so a big bang isn't that big of a deal to me. MY stance on SW is more geared to a new one so maybe i'll look at used.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #11 of 23 Old 12-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoGuy View Post
Akrik, I had a 9mm before and just don't quite believe in the round if my life really depended on it.
Ask a couple Navy Seals if they trust their life to the 9mm. LOL. When I was in Fallujah in 05-06 at the chow hall there was a table of Seals and we got to talking. I was Seabee and we helped them out with their vehicles at times. Long story short, they made fun of my Italian made Beretta that I carried, and made fun of another guy (Seal) that had a .45 because he was always reloading. His words went something like "fuck man, I'm always reloading that bitch".

I wouldn't just get a pistol because of the caliber, but rather get a pistol you're comfortable carrying in a caliber you're confident shooting. I can barely get Sharpshooter qualification on the Beretta m9, but on the Sig 226 I can almost get expert. Same caliber round but 2 totally different pistols.

Just like a Jeep. A Jeep on 40's can make it all look easy but a Jeep on 35's doing the same trail can get it done just as well.
post #12 of 23 Old 12-25-2013, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ok I think I have it down to 2 pistols, the Springfield XD-M or ParaUSA's 1911 GI Expert. local range has the Para but only has a XD-S in 45ACP, so i'll go tomorrow and put a few round down range. Now I have to decide if I want to get rid of my Taurus model 44.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #13 of 23 Old 12-27-2013, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ok, so i went ahead and just got the Para 1911. I mean my Jeep has a manual trans like God intended might as well have a real hand gun like God intended,
I'll throw some rounds threw it tomorrow when i get to the inlaws place (also will have the extra added benefit of a artic weather test as they live near Houghton Lake, Mi.) Pics to follow just so you can see it actually happened.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #14 of 23 Old 12-27-2013, 05:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Ok, so i went ahead and just got the Para 1911. I mean my Jeep has a manual trans like God intended might as well have a real hand gun like God intended,
I'll throw some rounds threw it tomorrow when i get to the inlaws place (also will have the extra added benefit of a artic weather test as they live near Houghton Lake, Mi.) Pics to follow just so you can see it actually happened.
you can't go wrong with a 1911. as long as you train with the safety that's a helluva good gun.

i personally have a Kahr P45NS that i carry when i'm feeling like i want a .45 with me lol. i also have a Kahr CM9 that i carry more than anything else. just because the size of the gun.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #15 of 23 Old 12-27-2013, 05:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd660 View Post
Long story short, they made fun of my Italian made Beretta that I carried, and made fun of another guy (Seal) that had a .45 because he was always reloading. His words went something like "fuck man, I'm always reloading that bitch".
and thus... the fnx45 was born...

post #16 of 23 Old 12-28-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Here is the first 48 rounds, of American Eagle (Federal) 230gr FMJ, fired at about 20yards, outside (air temp 36deg). Sorry about the size i'm sending from my phone from out in the middle of nowhere. So far pretty happy no ftf or fte, just have to figure out why i'm firing to the left. The hits that went wide were from rapid fire strings (2 full mags ) but when aimed and firing with precision they grouped well (for me having not shot a pistol in over a year and never a 1911) just to the left. I have a box of 50 Rem 230 FMJ to go thru tomorrow plus the 2 left over from today to compare to see if the ammo will make a difference. Plan is go thru the breakin then start adjustments in hardware as needed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by DynoGuy; 01-17-2014 at 05:40 PM.
post #17 of 23 Old 12-29-2013, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Shot another 50 rounds thru it today but this time it was a box of 230gr. FMJ Rem's, with basically the same results still hitting left of poa. I let a couple of people fire it mostly non hand gunners all loved it and no problems. Now all i need is to start to look for a IWB holster for CC. Also might as well get a M1928A1 to finish off the whole orginal Jeep theme.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #18 of 23 Old 12-30-2013, 06:28 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Shot another 50 rounds thru it today but this time it was a box of 230gr. FMJ Rem's, with basically the same results still hitting left of poa. I let a couple of people fire it mostly non hand gunners all loved it and no problems. Now all i need is to start to look for a IWB holster for CC. Also might as well get a M1928A1 to finish off the whole orginal Jeep theme.
If you are consistently hitting the same area to the left of the target try aiming a little to the right of your target. If others are hitting target with no problem there's something in the way you are holding it or your sight picture. I have a Ruger SP101 .357 magnum with non movable sights, once I know where I'm hitting in comparison to where I'm aiming I adjust where I aim and do just fine. If you always practice in this manner it should become instinctual for you (muscle memory) to aim in this manner in a SHTF situation.

That said, here is a general picture of why your shots go where they do.

2013 Sahara Unlimited

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
post #19 of 23 Old 12-30-2013, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Soberbyker that chart is kind of neat. Everyone who shot seemed to go left, i've owned/shot pistols before (9mm 92F & a scoped Taurus model 44) and generally am nearer to poa but not favoring a area, but i haven't been shooting for a while and this is my first 1911 that i have fired and it was while standing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by DynoGuy; 01-01-2014 at 08:07 AM.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-17-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So here is an update on my new Para. I now have 300 rnds thru it. I took my kid out to the local indoor range the other day. I worked on my grip & trigger finger placement/control and here is the result (I still have a little work to do, but this thing shoots well). Tomorrow I go to my CCW class.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by DynoGuy; 02-22-2014 at 03:35 PM.
post #21 of 23 Old 01-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Rock God

Quote:
So here is an update on my new Para. I now have 300 rnds thru it. I took my kid out to the local indoor range the other day. I worked on my grip & trigger finger placement/control and here is the result (I still have a little work to do, but this thing shoots well). Tomorrow I go to my CCW class.
When I took my ccw shooting test our range master was a retard. We shot 20 at the 3 yards. He told us to load and fire again at the 3 yard target. I put my hand back and say, we already fired at this for the 20 and he says, "follow my instruction". Now how is that for someone suppose to be teaching a ccw class.

Also, we had someone that shot the clips holding the target. I bet she only had 30 on the paper, yes paper not target. She still passed the shooting test.

Then the paper test was a joke. I finish it. He hands me the CHL-100 form (Texas) and says fill this out and sign, give me one and your good to go. I'm pretty sure it didn't get graded. I could have marked C on all 25 questions and still got my license.

So, you should be good to go with that kind of shooting.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #22 of 23 Old 01-18-2014, 07:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
When I took my ccw shooting test our range master was a retard. We shot 20 at the 3 yards. He told us to load and fire again at the 3 yard target. I put my hand back and say, we already fired at this for the 20 and he says, "follow my instruction". Now how is that for someone suppose to be teaching a ccw class.

Also, we had someone that shot the clips holding the target. I bet she only had 30 on the paper, yes paper not target. She still passed the shooting test.

Then the paper test was a joke. I finish it. He hands me the CHL-100 form (Texas) and says fill this out and sign, give me one and your good to go. I'm pretty sure it didn't get graded. I could have marked C on all 25 questions and still got my license.

So, you should be good to go with that kind of shooting.

in pa you just walk in, fill out the background check, and they take your pic. boom. you have a LTCF

post #23 of 23 Old 01-19-2014, 03:55 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
in pa you just walk in, fill out the background check, and they take your pic. boom. you have a LTCF
Not in all 67 counties, some are instant on the spot, some make you wait. The state has 45 days to issue the LTCF or deny it.

2013 Sahara Unlimited

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode