Another question for our resident 1911 experts... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Another question for our resident 1911 experts...

I included a few pics although I can't really get a good close up. Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about or know already what I'm referring to here. I would almost absolutely guess that this is normal but I really just want to make sure since this is only my 2nd 1911.

Okay... it's hard to see but on the inside of the right frame-rail, I've noticed that there are very faint marks... could almost be described as "serrations" that seem to be as a result of the ammo feeding from the mag into the chamber.

The marks are not deep at all but I can feel them and see them. The left side of the gun ( obviously) has no markings like this.

Is it normal wear?
Is this exclusive to Kimbers?
Will it affect operation?
Is it caused by feeding or ejecting?

Anyway... just hoping that this is normal wear and that I don't have a potential issue here. Thank you guys for your expertise.
Attached Images

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Wheeler

That looks like normal wear to me , though you might check your mags to make sure there is no burrs or anything protruding in that area.

I will check my Ultra in a bit and pull it apart and see what it looks like

..... it's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees........
Five Finger Death Punch
"Meet The Monster"
post #3 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 03:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Normal wear ...

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Wheeler

Here is mine, now I will have to say mine only has about 350 rds through it so far and only with a Wilson mag......... the factory one go thrown in a box never to be heard from again LOL

Oh did I ever mention I hate taking these Ultra and Pro Kimbers apart , damn paper clip thingy..... just give me a barrel bushing

..... it's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees........
Five Finger Death Punch
"Meet The Monster"
post #5 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Granite Guru

Looks like normal milling to me if what you are describing is what's on the side
post #6 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehead69 View Post
That looks like normal wear to me , though you might check your mags to make sure there is no burrs or anything protruding in that area.
I've checked my mags very well. Actually pulled the springs and cleaned em both while I was cleaning my 1911 and my Glock the other night. The mags are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
Normal wear ...
That's what I was hoping for. Thank you very much for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehead69 View Post
Here is mine, now I will have to say mine only has about 350 rds through it so far and only with a Wilson mag......... the factory one go thrown in a box never to be heard from again LOL

Oh did I ever mention I hate taking these Ultra and Pro Kimbers apart , damn paper clip thingy..... just give me a barrel bushing
I have about 200 rounds through mine at this point, maybe 250... I can't remember. But I can see the marks on yours as well... right along the top edge. Looks just like mine from what I can see. Thank you for your reply... Very much appreciated, sir.

I have got to say that I absolutely LOVE the 3" Kimber Take-down tools from NDZ Performance. Best $21 I've ever spent lol. I highly recommend these little Delrin pieces for making field stripping a breeze.

http://www.ndzperformance.com/Kimber...s-fslash-l.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
Looks like normal milling to me if what you are describing is what's on the side
Yep... right along the inside top edge of the frame. Thanks so much for your help.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #7 of 12 Old 11-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Rock God

After looking at my kimber, they also have the marks. But I believe it's milled in or a part of milling. I have the desert warrior(tan powder coat) and the grooves are coated. I checked the mag area while sliding a loaded mag in and out(lower only, no slide) and didn't see any rubbing.

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

post #8 of 12 Old 11-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Rock God

Not to hijack this thread, but how does everyone like their kimber 1911? I am looking to get one and was just wondering. Thanks
post #9 of 12 Old 11-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89yjon View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but how does everyone like their kimber 1911? I am looking to get one and was just wondering. Thanks
Your question warrants a new thread. That said, I just picked up a Sig Sauer 1911 Scorpion and it is B.A. I know not a kimber as you asked but another option. I was considering a Para USA Black Ops.

Check out http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #10 of 12 Old 11-08-2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89yjon View Post
I put another 200 rounds through my Kimber UC a couple weeks ago so I'm only up to about 400-450 rounds total, but I am so far absolutely in love with this gun. Amazing accuracy for a 3" barrel.

That being said, I was no less impressed with my Springfield A1. There are some great offerings in the 1911 world and although I've never personally owned any of the guns I am listing below, I would at least recommend looking into these:

Sig Sauer GSR
Springfield Armory Milspec
Ruger SR1911
S&W SW1911
Colt Gold Cup NM Series
Remington R1
Rock Island Armory 1911A1
Para-USA Expert 14-45 SS

As far as Kimber goes, I absolutely wouldn't hesitate to buy another. From everything that I know about Kimber's, I would look into the Custom II, the Super Carry Pro, the Ultra RCP II, and the Gold Combat.

post #11 of 12 Old 11-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Rock God

Don't forget the desert warrior. I love my kimber, and the $1200 price tag is worth it!

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

post #12 of 12 Old 11-28-2013, 06:56 AM
Rock God

That's not mag related. It's the barrel coming down between the rails during recoil. Look at your barrel and look again with your barrel mounted on the lug. The marks will line up.

My 1991 has a radiused bridge from rail to rail spreading out that impact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode