Handgun maintenance - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Handgun maintenance

I hadn't seen this topic covered here, but I was curious ( not bi-curious like Chris) in terms of what you gun owners use to keep your semi-autos and revolvers maintained. I've seen a lot of info on youtube, but there seems to be a good deal of variations in terms of what people use and how they go about cleaning and lubricating their weapons.

I personally am using only solvent and oil. I use a bore-snake as well as a lot of Q-Tips, patches, and rags cut from old/ soft t-shirts.

Do any of y'all use dry-lube? I have some but haven't yet used it.

Do y'all use grease or oil to lubricate your slide and frame rails?

Do y'all recommend oil containing Teflon?

Are there certain brands that are better than others?

Etc, etc, etc... Please list your suggestions and techniques here.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 09:43 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
( not bi-curious like Chris)
You know what, I only asked for pictures once, and you said we would drop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I do a field strip / clean / lube after every time I go shooting. That's overkill imho... But I'm no expert. I also have switched to Froglube. Its non toxic so you can use it in your house with no issues. The youtube reviews are pretty much all positave.

Me and my son have put over 600 rounds thru my .45 XD and over 3000 rounds thru our AR15s using this CLP and all is good.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 10-06-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-06-2013, 03:11 AM
Wheeler

I use Amsoil on my Kimbers and ARs for lube , had a quart of 20-50 left over and decided to try it and it is the slickest, smoothest stuff I have ever used on a gun and the heat won't burn it off.... not to mention a quart goes a long way.

I use Hoppies on the inside of the slide and frame.... and foaming bore cleaner and a boresnake on the barrel on my handguns.
Fill the barrel with the foam (put your finger over one end or it will go everywhere) set it aside and clean rest of gun so as to let the foam do its work.
When you are finished with the rest run the boresnake through it, wipe down the outside of barrel and give it a light lube on the outside including the locking lugs and the barrel hood....just a couple of drops will do it.

As far as the slide goes I put some lube on the rail recesses from the back with the slide standing on it's muzzle and just let gravity work LOL
IMO any more lube than that is just asking for dirt build up.

Also take off the grips ever once in a while and clean under them and to check for rust......and yes even stainless guns rust.
I have rusted every Stainless pistol I have had from carrying it...between the sweat/humidity and the grips trapping both they rust.

If the barrel on your Kimber starts to rust or discolor some (and I say it will given time) , I just use 800grip emery cloth or Lead Away cloth on mine and lube it again....... it just seems to be a Kimber thing every Kimber I has seen will or/has done it , stainless barrel or not.

The ARs get Hoppies all around, using wet patch and boresnake on barrel, along with a scrubbing and scraping of the BCG.
Tried the foaming bore cleaner on the AR once LOL.....never thought I was gonna get it out of the gas system

Ok I will stop babbling now.........

Last edited by Bonehead69; 10-06-2013 at 03:16 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-06-2013, 03:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Froglube Fanboy

I did use Hoppes #9 solvent, Breakfree CLP and Shooters Choice grease. A while ago, I tried Froglube and I haven't looked back. It works as advertised. I use it on my folding knives, on the wood stocks of some of my rifles. It's an excellent all purpose CLP. I use the paste like I would grease and the liquid like regular CLP even though they are the same product. Being non toxic makes the wife happy. I don't have to hear how I'm going to kill the animals anymore.

For cleaning tools, I use the basics. Plastic and bronze bore brushes, tooth brushes, Q tips, cleaning patches, bore snakes, old tee shirts, microfiber towels.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-06-2013, 04:20 AM
Rock God

Frog Lube. Field strip after every time I shoot b/c I like nice shiny things. Especially if its something I'll be carrying. If I'm storing it for a while after I'm done with the Frog Lube I apply a light coat for general lub, otherwise I leave it more on the dry side. The cool thing about Frog Lube is that as the gun heats up from shooting the Frog Lube continues to lubricate b/c it seeps into the pores of the metal so when it gets hot it comes out. I know I didnt explain that well.

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #7 of 19 Old 10-06-2013, 05:20 AM
JKO Addict!

I have 20,000+ rounds through my fnp9. Never replaced a part.

I use hoppes 9 to clean everything. I don't use qtips. Just patches and different picks an what not. Then everything gets a light coating of rem oil. At the end the action. Gets run a few times and I wipe off the outside.

Never needed more than that on any of my pistols.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #8 of 19 Old 10-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Granite Guru

I've been using Slip 2000 cleaners and lubes with great success. I'm a Glock guy, so a bottle of lube lasts a long damn time. Next time I run out I'm going to give the Frog Lube a try.

2012 JKU Altitude
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #9 of 19 Old 10-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Granite Guru

I'm a hoppes guy, my grandfather brought me up that way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #10 of 19 Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Wheeler

+1 on the FrogLube. It doesn't taste half bad either. When something claims to be edible, you have to try it. It's minty if you don't want to try for yourself.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-07-2013, 05:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hoppes #9 on a few patches to clean the bore.
Spray on RemOil everywhere else and wipe down.

MikeP

post #12 of 19 Old 10-07-2013, 05:27 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

M-Pro 7 When really dirty

Hoppe's

Rem Oil

Hoppe's Silicone Cloth as a last wipe down..

post #13 of 19 Old 10-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Granite Guru

This is almost like the "what's the best crank case oil" question.

Similar answer to that question. Use quality, Use often.

I clean my handguns and rifles after every time I shoot them.

Quality bore cleaner until I get a clean pad, then oil pad, then final dry pad.

Moving parts get a dab of grease

Externals get a VERY light coat of oil followed by a clean dry rubdown.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-07-2013, 05:26 PM

I use frog lube on almost anything that I would use solvent, 3in1, Hoppes, ect on. I use it as patch lube for my flintlocks, case lube when I reload, clean and lube my reloading dies and use it on my tools... It doesn't replace all solvents/ lubes but for the majority of smaller items it works well. It's really some good stuff. Make sure you use a microfiber towel after you apply otherwise tight frame rails and slides will gum up. Other than that issue, the stuff is really unbelievable.

First post, BTW.
post #15 of 19 Old 10-08-2013, 01:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHKP7 View Post
I use frog lube on almost anything that I would use solvent, 3in1, Hoppes, ect on. I use it as patch lube for my flintlocks, case lube when I reload, clean and lube my reloading dies and use it on my tools... It doesn't replace all solvents/ lubes but for the majority of smaller items it works well. It's really some good stuff. Make sure you use a microfiber towel after you apply otherwise tight frame rails and slides will gum up. Other than that issue, the stuff is really unbelievable.

First post, BTW.
LOL, welcome . Nicely done
post #16 of 19 Old 10-08-2013, 04:57 AM
JKO Addict!

I toss them in the ultrasonic cleaner and watch TV.

Then I hose it with whatever oil (I like Militec), wipe off and done.
post #17 of 19 Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Rock God

Garage

I use whatever solvent I have. Usually Hoppe's cause it is cheap. Toothbrush, patches, rags etc...Then Wilson Combat gun grease

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #18 of 19 Old 10-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
I toss them in the ultrasonic cleaner and watch TV.

Then I hose it with whatever oil (I like Militec), wipe off and done.
It seems to me like Militec is very similar to Frog Lube. Am I correct with that?

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #19 of 19 Old 10-15-2013, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Y'all have made this a damn fine thread.

I guess I will eventually have to try some of the Froglube since it looks like I can use it on a variety of things besides just my guns.

Seems like my regiment is pretty much spot-on when compared to how you guys are cleaning your guns and what y'all are using to clean and lube. I'm definitely meticulous about all aspects of maintenance.

For any of you guys that use Q-Tips for cleaning/ detailing ( not just guns), I wanted to post a picture of these things that I found the other day in the cosmetic dept at Walmart. These things are awesome.. cotton but the tips are pointed and more tightly wrapped than regular Q-Tips. Check 'em out...

Swisspers cotton cosmetic applicators
$2.17 for pkg of 80
Attached Images

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode