JKOwners Forum banner

Went shootin

4K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  importmonkey 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, so I realized it's probably been about 20 years since I went to the range. Tims sure ******* flies!!!!!!

Well I got my XDM and figured I should get familiar and re-acquaint my self with the rest of my toys. I got everything together and started my pre-shoot inspection the night before and to my surprise I put my AR way dirty 20 years ago, **** me I'm a ******* dillwead asshat. :shitstorm: I didn't have time for a full clean up so I pulled the bolt out of the carrier, lubed everything up and slapped it back together, looked down the barrel and all looked fine. I dropped the carrier back in, closed her up and hoped for the best. I unzipped the case for my L1A1 and the same shit. God Damn that 20 something year old asshat that put these away the last time and didn't do it right. I inspected the L1A1 and didn't bother lubing as it looked slippery enough and it's a tank anyway.

Well everything shot fine, no issues and below is my 100 yard target. The ones it the paint were the first few I took my time with. The rest were as rapid fire as I could get away with without the range officers giving me the stink eye. Not to bad for an old fart with iron sites, I think.

What do you guys think?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
NO!!! My bad it's the AR-15 and the L1A1. They didn't have anything longer than 100 yards. There aren't any ranges around here any longer. Back in the day there was a nice open range in a State park in WV that had 25, 50, 75, 100 and 200 yard backstops a few of my buddies and I visited a lot. Always shot 200 yards with rifles. I miss the days of 10 cent 5.56 Malaysian ball and 15 cent surplus .308.

Man I know I deserve a whippin for putting them away dirty, but it's a testament to their duability. It's an old, old AR-15 carbine. No forward assist. It's stamped Colt SP-1, MP. I haven't researched but have been told it's one of the first carbine series produced. There were days i would put a 1000 rounds or so through it in 4-5 hours and it never, ever argued.

#6 ·
Yeah it would be nice, but land here is way to valuable for a big range. There are plenty of Military ranges with 1000 yard lanes around, but you gotta have an in. I had one, but never got to use it. A family member was neighbors with an ex-Seal and he had access, but schedules never meshed. They would let friends shoot the Barretts and use all the ammo you wanted in your own stuff.

I'm not sure how well I would do much past 300 yards with my stuff, it's all iron sights. I don't have any optics. Not sure it matters I don't think it would be effective on anything I have anyway.

I do have to say the XDM is my new favorite handgun to shoot. It feels almost like I'm shooting with a pointed finger. My Gold Cup is nose heavy and the Glock feels like a glock, just a big hunk of plastic throwing lead, my old P-12 was nice but just to heavy for a compact. My others are just different.

#8 ·
I'm not doubting I could him someone, just wondering how effective 5.56 is that far out. As ****** up as my state is and the laws that just went into effect on 10/1, AR-10's are still legal and get this, cash and carry. I can't buy an LE6920, but I can walk in, buy an AR-10 and take it home. Go figure. I think I'm going to save and buy an AR-10 and add some optics. They also banned M1's, but not Garands. I don't know anything about Garands, but that will probably go on the list too. I really, really would have liked an M1 and hooked it up as a sniper rifle. Oh well.

#13 ·
Yup, Yup, but no one knows if doing that to a Garand would make it non-compliant here in MaryUSSRland now. They completely assfucked this law and the Maryland State Police have differing views of how to interpret the law from the Attorney General. The MSP is more lenient than the AG as they understand the 2nd amendment, but the AG just wants to trample it.

Everything will wash out soon......I hope and we will know what we can and can't do. The AR-10 will come first, then the Garand. I guess I'll start researching the CMP and get one or two through the program.

#12 ·
You guys are talking pure hypothetical...right... I mean after the boat accident there is just nothing left right:suicide:

on a side note
Mr. Frow did you allude to not being able to fire off as fast as you want at this range

here in IL I go to a indoor rifle range with the SKS (also hypothetical) and have never even thought about not being able to waste a bunch of money real fast...is this normal for ranges to have speed limits?

#16 ·
LOL!!!! I fished all of your guy chit out of the lake and I'm using them.

They know I have guns. If they want them, well you know the drill.

Most of the ranges around here have rules that you can't shoot more than 1 shot every 2 seconds. They are clubs that allow open access to the public on certain days and don't want the random person that doesn't know what they are doing, ******* up. Club members can have at it on the days that the public is not allowed in. They are super careful about everything and I don't blame them in this state. They are also surrounded by houses, so I think they want to keep the neighbors as happy as possible.

It was my first visit the this range and after a while they realized I wasn't a dumbfuck and didn't give me a hard time, but I didn't want to push it. The range was also full, so I didn't want the random fucknut saying "hey that guy is going at it why can't I?"

What a ******* joke, all depends on who wants to be a dick that day I guess.

You know you have to be a member of a "club" before you can buy through the CMP, right?
They have rules and I get it. I'm happy there is somewhere close I can shoot.

Yeah I know about being a club member, just not what all is involved. That's what I meant about looking into it.

#22 ·
Best info I have found is on the MDSHOOTERS forum. You have to look around a little but there's lot's of info. If you plan on passing through MD you have to store weapon and ammo separate and both have to be out of reach. A loaded magazine is the same as loaded gun, so it's a no no.

The Supreme Court it supposed to review a case this week about the Constitutionality of MD's may issue concealed carry law, so things could change. The legal community(not just in MD) believes that it will be found unconstitutional and they will have to start issuing concealed carry permits like most states, without proving a good and substantial reason. Hopefully they will also recognize other states permits, but who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.