Guidance selecting rifle - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 09-16-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Guidance selecting rifle

Glad I stayed on this site...even though I got rid of the JK. Need some honest input on what kind of rifle I should get based on my POU.

So far, have plenty of close quarters weapons for defense and entry, but lack something that can reach out and touch someone. I've got a great roof-top terrace and about 250 yards to the tree line in all directions (+/-50' elevation drop). I'd like to be able to defend (hell, even hunt) our property in this manner.

Yes, I'd love to have a sexy AR-15. They look cool and feel natural to me (as opposed to AK). But, do I realistically need a bolt action for fast action, response, and accuracy?

I figured, if I lost control of a line out to 200+ yards, by the time I got down, the zombies would be within range of the .40's and 12 gauge. Almost feel like I would end up with short and long range weapons without covering the middle.

What do you think?

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Granite Guru

With a basic scope (my eyes aren't that great), 250yds is nothing for an AR, just stick with a 16" barrel at minimum to keep the bullets stabilized. The light bullets aren't the best choice for getting past the thick skin and muscle of the bigger 4-legged game at a distance, though. Some states don't allow the .223 guns to be used for hunting.

Realistically, almost any hunting rifle will be good in the 250yd range. .30-30, .30-06, .308 all perform well depending on your game choice. I favor the Remington 700 when it comes to bolt actions... tons of build options and still a good out of the box gun.

2012 Silver Rubi. AEV 2.5" lift, JCR Dagger front bumper, Superwinch EPI 9, JCR engine skid, ACE side steps, RR 7" HID lights, Wired HDH switch panel
formerly- 2001 Yellow XJ, 7" longarm, lockers, bumper, winch, armor, lights, etc
post #3 of 35 Old 09-16-2013, 10:44 PM
JKO Addict!

What are you looking to hunt other than two legged animals? Talking to a lot of hunters and shooters, my choice would be something chambered in .308 I think would suit you fine. What's your budget?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 03:40 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to warcop

I struggled with what to get also. .556 or .308. After lots of research I narrowed my choice down to two .308 battle rifles. The first one I considered was the ADEQ Venator Battle Rifle. The second was the Springfiled Loaded M1A. Both are great rifles. In the end I chose the Springfiled as it is more accurate at longer ranges which makes it more of a hunting rifle, its retro, is a damn sexy rifle. Upgrades are expensive and I experienced a learning curve going to the M1A. Also, being in the Army for 23 years I was use to the AR platform. The M1A was and is something different. If you are considering a M1A platform do some homework first. I am by no means an expert on the M1A but I can report that mine has never jammed, it can reach out and touch someone, and has very little recoil. It commands respect when it comes out of the bag on the range and draws a lot of attention because it seems like everyone has an AR these days. My next rifle will be a .308 AR platform.

If you want to talk M1As on JKO and need and expert opinion I recommend you ask Uncle Sams Misguided Child about them.

Warcop

2012 JKU Sport, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex, Smittybilt SRC Side Armor, Mesh Grille MOD, Sony Double DIN AV Receiver, Back up Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, ARB Twin Compressor, Dominion Off Road High Lift Mount, Homemade Paracord Grab Handles, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Paramount Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, KC Hilites Daylighters, under seat lock box, Metal Cloak Front Bumper, BARTACT Seat Covers, BARTACT Sun Shade, x20 Comp Winch, sPOD, ARB Air lockers, 4.10 Gears.
post #5 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 05:27 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcop View Post
I struggled with what to get also. .556 or .308. After lots of research I narrowed my choice down to two .308 battle rifles. The first one I considered was the ADEQ Venator Battle Rifle. The second was the Springfiled Loaded M1A. Both are great rifles. In the end I chose the Springfiled as it is more accurate at longer ranges which makes it more of a hunting rifle, its retro, is a damn sexy rifle. Upgrades are expensive and I experienced a learning curve going to the M1A. Also, being in the Army for 23 years I was use to the AR platform. The M1A was and is something different. If you are considering a M1A platform do some homework first. I am by no means an expert on the M1A but I can report that mine has never jammed, it can reach out and touch someone, and has very little recoil. It commands respect when it comes out of the bag on the range and draws a lot of attention because it seems like everyone has an AR these days. My next rifle will be a .308 AR platform.

If you want to talk M1As on JKO and need and expert opinion I recommend you ask Uncle Sams Misguided Child about them.
Aww geez, you're embarrassing me.

You can reach out to well past 250 yards with just your standard AR with just iron sights. Hell the Marine Corps qualifies with the M16 out to 500 yards with just iron sights. But if you want to step up the stopping power and not spend an arm and a leg on a .50 then the .308 is a great round. Plus you can get an AR 10 so that you have the familiarty with the controls. I got my M1A loaded in July and just took it out a few weeks ago. Man let me tell you when you start slinging lead down range with one people will quickly take notice.

Now for the selection. The loaded's come with National Match components which is good and bad at the same time. Yes you get more precision parts but the down side is that it is picky about ammo. I tried a couple of reloads I bought from a guy, 1st round fired great, next 2 were light strikes on the primer. So I switched over to PMC bronze and the American Eagle .308 and not a problem. Springfield even says in their book that the national match barrells are very tight tolerance.

Not to steer you away from JKO but go check out the M14 forum. They know more about the m14 and m1a then I could ever hope to learn in a million years.

hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 05:34 AM

One last thing.

The M14 was first issued to the U.S. Military in 1959 and ended service in 1970 to be replaced with the m16. However in the 90's it was reintroduced to the military. Why would they go back to the M14? Because it just flat out works and will stop any human in its tracks.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Good point about caliber and hunting. VA requires .23 or higher for deer and bear. Looks like the .223 and 5.56 are out. - unless I don't hunt with them...and it would be limited at best. I just wanted the option.

It seems .223/5.56 in an AR platform has a lot of advantages - aftermarket support, less expensive ammo, popularity (lots of stuff laying around when fit hits the shan).

I really don't want to get into needing perfect ammo. My buddy came out the other month and we had a lot of problems with his rifle shucking cheapo russian rounds. I want to be able to put damn near anything in it and it work.

might be a stretch, but i'm hoping to stick to $1,000. gotta keep the support of the better half, and my angle is my quitting smoking. each month i stay nicotine free, i'd like to reward myself with a barrel, upper, lower parts, etc.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
post #8 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 AM

you forget that .308/7.62x61 is a nato round. So there probably won't be an ammo shortage.

I won't shoot steel cased ammo in my rifles especially my M1A since it is high tolerance. I stick with .223, 9mm, .308 and .45 to keep ammo at only a couple of calibers. I have a .22LR as well since the ammo is cheap and you can quickly stockpile a shitload of it. But in the end of the world scenario I would grab 1 AR, 1 M1A, 1 9mm and 1 .45 and possible a .22LR for small game.

Yes .308 is more expensive since you are getting a lot more bang for your buck. Just don't get a national match grade barrell and it should feed fine. I bought a couple of different manufacturers ammo to see what would shoot well and what would shoot ok. I would rather spend the time now to find out then when I actually needed it to reach out and touch someone. Plus with .308 you can punch through thicker steel and concrete block than a .223.

Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

yeah. 7.62 isn't that expensive. much cheaper than .308

will have to start investigating m1a and m14's now, along with ar10 and i guess (crap!) ak.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
post #10 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 07:03 AM

You can't get an m14 with out a tax stamp since they were full auto.

Quote:
Quote:
post #11 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

roger.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
post #12 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 12:09 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm confused, are you looking for a bolt gun or semi auto? Have you considered milsurp as an option?
post #13 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
I'm confused, are you looking for a bolt gun or semi auto? Have you considered milsurp as an option?
Are you talking military surplus like Civilian Marksmanship Program? Or are you talking about current military surplus like m4's and such?

If it is the latter they all get destroyed becuase they are three round burst, m16, m4 or full auto like the SAW or 240G.

Quote:
Quote:
post #14 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

i'm not against a bolt action, but i don't think it fits the purpose as well as a semi-auto.

as i see the problem - too close to justify something big or bolt action, but the .223 (which has the cost/availability i want) isn't big enough to hunt with. so what's more important?

.223 - greater availability, low cost, low cartridge weight (means i can have more rounds available), decent accuracy, and reasonable stopping power at 200 yards

v.

7mm, 30-30, .308, 30'06, etc - great stopping power, hunting rounds, longer reach, greater accuracy.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
post #15 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 04:41 PM

AR-10 in .308, familiarity with how the weapon operates and huge stopping power. Plus ammo is easy to find. Just go buy one box of 20 every month or one every 2 weeks. In no time you will have some rounds saved up.

Quote:
Quote:
post #16 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 04:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Are you talking military surplus like Civilian Marksmanship Program? Or are you talking about current military surplus like m4's and such?

If it is the latter they all get destroyed becuase they are three round burst, m16, m4 or full auto like the SAW or 240G.

Yeah, I was thinking vintage military surplus. M1 Garands, Carbines , Mausers, Mosins , SKS that sort of thing. Very cool rifles that still shoot.
post #17 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 05:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by importmonkey View Post
i'm not against a bolt action, but i don't think it fits the purpose as well as a semi-auto.

as i see the problem - too close to justify something big or bolt action, but the .223 (which has the cost/availability i want) isn't big enough to hunt with. so what's more important?

.223 - greater availability, low cost, low cartridge weight (means i can have more rounds available), decent accuracy, and reasonable stopping power at 200 yards

v.

7mm, 30-30, .308, 30'06, etc - great stopping power, hunting rounds, longer reach, greater accuracy.
Maybe look at 300 AAC blackout. Probably an acceptable round for medium size game. It's a .30 caliber bullet in a .223/5.56 case. Can be used in an AR15 platform rifle and AR15 magazines. What you need is a barrel chambered in 300 AAC blackout. You can also buy a .223/5.56 upper and a 300 AAC blackout upper so you can shoot both calibers if you want.
post #18 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
Yeah, I was thinking vintage military surplus. M1 Garands, Carbines , Mausers, Mosins , SKS that sort of thing. Very cool rifles that still shoot.
You just have to be a member of an approved shooting club to order from the CMP. But an M1 Garand is awfully nice.

Quote:
Quote:
post #19 of 35 Old 09-26-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

okay. i've decided to go with 300 blackout. attached is my prospective build sheet. if anyone has time to look and see what i've missed, i'd appreciate it. i had to move the bells and whistles over to the far left (will get those later as they aren't necessary). just need an optic, some mags and some ammo!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 300 BLK AR15 Build Sheet 2013-09-26.pdf (39.0 KB, 792 views)

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
post #20 of 35 Old 09-26-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

btw, gonna have to sell/trade my glock23 to fund this effort. let me know if there are any interested parties. 3 years old. less than 300 rounds and just like new. all stock stuff (2 mags, loader, case, etc).

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
post #21 of 35 Old 09-27-2013, 03:02 AM
Wheeler

post #22 of 35 Old 09-27-2013, 01:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Ammo for 300 blackout has been impossible to find. At least that's what I've noticed.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #23 of 35 Old 09-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Granite Guru

Lightbulb my 0.02

Get a Sig 556R it shoots 7.62X39 THE cheapest non corrosive ammo out there now. Fun, accurate, modern and cheap & clean to run.

but if you just want a bolt action inexpensive rifle that has good accuracy out to 250 & has stupid cheap ammo, but it is corrosive, then get a Mosin Nagant in 7.62X54. Shit, they are so cheap just throw it away after the Zombie Apocalypse is over.

BTW what GEN is your Glock23 ??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
THANK A VETERAN

"It's a Freedom Thing"

Last edited by Bluewaterrider; 09-27-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: i cant spell worthashit
post #24 of 35 Old 09-27-2013, 11:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
Ammo for 300 blackout has been impossible to find. At least that's what I've noticed.

It's out there, It's priced about the same as all .30 caliber rifle ammo. 300 Whisper is also an option. I'd rather plink with .223 though . Or 7.62X54R as mentioned above.

Last edited by rubirobv; 09-27-2013 at 11:25 PM.
post #25 of 35 Old 09-29-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

hmm...was hoping someone would take a look at the sheet.

glock23 is gen3

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode