JKOwners Forum banner

Is there a MoCAN like product for TJ LS or LT swaps?

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  untamedatom 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Noob to this site checking in! I have been enjoying the lurk so far. Its a great place to spend time!

Per title, is there a CAN product for TJ LS or LT swaps like the MoTec MoCAN module (I read that MoTec aren't concentrating on TJ's)?

Right now, I'm balls deep into the research phase.

I live in LA so am aiming for a California legal swap. I also want to keep the Jeep looking as OEM as possible to the casual observer.

During a recent pre-swap chat with a referee & on the subject of electronics & controllers:

- He told me it would be an instant fail if you try to "piggyback computers"
- When asked what that meant, he said I couldn't retain the Jeep PCM to drive the instrument cluster
- and clarified I can only have one "computer".
- he suggested I stay away from OBD2 project vehicles.

Sigh.

Anyway after that conversation and undeterred, I discovered MoTec and the MoCAN module.

Which warmed me up to the idea of a JK conversion but before I jump ship I wanted to have all my questions answered before deciding what to do!

Any words of wisdom gratefully received. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#5 ·
You didn't specify what year the TJ is and if it was a manual or automatic.

There will be a lot more involved than just getting a "CAN MODULE". The full conversion harness and system will need to be built with the correct circuits to accommodate the Can module.

A JK will be a lot easier than a TJ as the JK is a CAN based vehicle and the cluster can be drive by CAN messages. The TJ cluster was driven by the Jeep PCM and is not CAN based.

It can be done several ways but living in California will limit you severely on how you can do it.

#6 ·
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the steer.

OK, I just learned there is no CAN on TJ's.

The internet tells me:

97-2000 TJ are CCD twisted pair bus
2001-2006 TJ are PCI bus

Lets say this project is a 2001-2006 TJ, 4.0 automatic and given that I'm in CA my Chevy donor will also have to be automatic.

The internet also told me just now, the TJ PCI bus connects to PCM, cluster, air bag module, radio and SKIM module if you have SKIM.

So please allow me to rephrase the question:

Does anyone know if there is a "MoCAN *type" product that will allow me to retain some semblance of factory function for the TJ cluster at the very least? I could probably Macguiver the rest, but it would be a bonus to be able to retain other relevant functions as well.

We could call it MoPCI (or MoCCD for earlier models)!

#8 ·
Great idea! Actually, I started with Novak. They offer 2 solutions:

First: Upgrade the Jeep cluster to aftermarket - but I'm specifically looking for a way to retain the factory instrument cluster.

Second: Run the Jeep controller in tandem with the GM - but the referee I spoke to specifically told me I would fail if I did this. He stated I can only have one computer in the car. He told me "... absolutely no piggybacking of computers are allowed. It is an instant fail..."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.