JKOwners Forum banner

Instrument Cluster WorkAround LS1 Gen3 Swap?

13K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME 
#1 ·
Observations? Hacks? Fuel Gauge Works(TIPM), Temp Gauge works (PCM). Still messing with Speedometer & Tach....Still sorting out the GM & Jeep signals and grounds in wiring harness.

Suggestions....Lessons Learned....Insights...Thoughts & Prayers?

#3 ·
Speedometer signal is generated by the ABS module. It gets its signal from the wheel speed sensors. You will need a least 2 sensors working for it to spit out a speed signal.

Fuel Gauge is generated by the TIPM. you have that working

Temp is generated by the Jeep PCM. You have that working

Tach is generated by the Jeep PCM. You will either need a TACH Emulator to give the Cam-Crank signals to the jeep ECU, or a Reluctor ring on the GM balancer running the Jeep crank sensor, or some sort of module that car read the GM TACH output and generate a CANBUS message to the jeep cluster. TACH Emulator or reluctor ring would be the easiest. Novak sells a TACH emulator that may work.

I think we still have some reluctor rings kits on the shelf. RpmExtreme LS Swap GEN3 Balancer Reluctor Ring Kit :: RPM Extreme. The rings work pretty good as long as the sensor gap is dead on, at high RPM's they tend to drop out.

#9 ·
2007 JK X Unlimited "Heavy Jeep" Winch, Steel Bumpers
2005 GMC Denali Vortec 6.0 with 4L65E converted from AWD to NP-241C Transaxle (LS1 GEN3) (Installed & Running)
52mm Radiator + Electric Fan (Working, No Heat Issues)
Jeep Power Steering (Working)
Jeep AC (Connected but not Charged)
GM Alternator (Working)
MoTech Motor Mounts
Motech Accessory Mount
Wiring Harness + Programming (jimsperformance.com)...at least that's the label on the "PCM" (Basically a StandAlone Harness)
DriveShafts Installed
....and yes the jeep is in Alabama about an hour away.
....started as "RatRod"...I let some other people work on the "Bones" but the wiring...:jawdrop:

#5 ·
If you did an LS swap and didn't have it figured out beforehand, you are ******, pardon my French.

Everything runs through the canbus. You can either ask motech/rpm for a easybus/motech type controller or wire every thing to new switches.

This is completely false. All that’s needed is to power the underhood fuse box for all of the lights/wipers/ other shit to work and tie the LS’s ignition and starter wire into the jeeps and the key will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Canbus/tipm issues on my swap before motech stepped up and rewired/reprogrammed= headlights/brakelights, wipers, charging system, alarm, radio, accelerator. Prndl, air conditioning, door locks. The crank sensors worked ok. So, if none of that matters you are ok. I had sensor issues with the coolant sensors (jeep vs gm engine coolant. The jeep sensor kept insisting I was 280* when I was under 220). The ls sensor told the engine it was ok, but the jeep sensor told the warning tone to go off continuously. This was a gen 3/4 kit from 2011 and Motech had different wiring and different grounds from the next gen. Before I took it to Motech, it ran, usually, but it couldn't be trusted. The instructions in 2011 were shitty. I made some mistakes in the harness, and my mechanic made some more. Robbie redid the entire harness and changed the computer. It worked fine after that.
Those were what I remember, there were some other issues, but i can't remember what they were, throttle and position sensors, and fan cooling, were a couple but they might have been actual hard part issues.
Can you do it with a paperclip and a clothespin? Sure. Go for it.

#8 ·
If you did an LS swap and didn't have it figured out beforehand, you are ******, pardon my French.
Everything runs through the canbus. You can either ask motech/rpm for a easybus/motech type controller or wire every thing to new switches.
If MoTech/RPM did LS1 GEN3 I would...but they apparently don't...and I'm beginning to realize why.
My issue is with "compatible" signals received by, for example Jeep PCM, which then formats the CAN Bus output. The "Low Hanging Fruit" was the FUEL and TEMP gauges.

The name of the Jeep is self-explanatory..."ClusterFaux":wink2:

#14 ·
These Lights, Speedometer & Tach...I'm Golden!

Original Issue...

1) ABS => Maybe Bad Pump?
2) BRAKE => Probably Bad Switch...Won't Go OFF...But Blinks When Parking Brake Applied
3) AirBag => Bad SQUIB?
4) ETC => (Electronic Throttle Control) ?
5) BAS/ESP =?
6) PRND => All Boxed [P][R][N][D]... Can't Reset

I'm told Jeep has 3" lift (Front), 1.5" (Rear)...by someone who was raiding my Beer Fridge.:beer:
Steering Wheel about 1/2" off CCW...Can ETC be that touchy?

#18 ·
Original Issue...

1) ABS => Maybe Bad Pump?
2) BRAKE => Probably Bad Switch...Won't Go OFF...But Blinks When Parking Brake Applied
3) AirBag => Bad SQUIB?
4) ETC => (Electronic Throttle Control) ?
5) BAS/ESP =?
6) PRND => All Boxed [P][R][N][D]... Can't Reset

I'm told Jeep has 3" lift (Front), 1.5" (Rear)...by someone who was raiding my Beer Fridge.:beer:
Steering Wheel about 1/2" off CCW...Can ETC be that touchy?
That looks like a 04-07 GEN3 truck drive by wire setup. we support that with a conversion harness where everything works including the cruise control. We just don't support the early drive by wire or the drive by cable stuff. http://www.rpmextreme.com/Product/202/LS-JK-GEN3-DIY-Conversion-Harness-07-10.aspx

For your setup the ETC light will be on. the jeep cm is turning it on.
BAS/ESP will be on. we can program it and correct that
The PRNDL will look like that until you have a good trans range signal to the PCM

ABS/Brake light. you probably have a issue with the ABS. maybe a wheel speed sensor or something not connected correctly.

#15 ·
I had an intermittent Prndl light show like that. Not sure why, but i used the procal to reset the jeep codes in the jeep obd2 port. The gm obd2 and bcm were fine. What ever wiring motech redid fixed it, except that time the transmission shift lever broke. Had to reset after that too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.