2007 Jeep JK 3.8 swap with Dodge Caravan 3.8?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-24-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2007 Jeep JK 3.8 swap with Dodge Caravan 3.8??

I have found that the 3.8 Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Town and Country motors are less than half of what the used Jeep motor is. If I bought a minivan 3.8L from 2007-2012, would it work in a 2007 Wrangler? I figure I would have to swap some parts off the motors, but is it doable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-24-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage

I should have included this...A local shop told me I could by their Caravan engine (2009) and they would change everything out and put the new engine for $600. I am considering it, but do not want to cause a bigger problem. I cannot find anything that says this works.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-2019, 09:42 PM

There have been two different guys in the local jeep group swap in caravan 3.8's to replace the Jeep ones. From what was said as long as the 3.8 is from a 2007 or newer the block is the same, then you just have to swap front covers, intakes and pretty well all of the external parts lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-24-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks, I might give it a shot. A $600 minivan engine instead of a $2000 Jeep engine will be worth a shot. Even if I pay the guys $600 for the swap, I am coming out ahead.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-25-2019, 04:58 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpagel View Post
Thanks, I might give it a shot. A $600 minivan engine instead of a $2000 Jeep engine will be worth a shot. Even if I pay the guys $600 for the swap, I am coming out ahead.
I dig it!

Please update this thread with your results. As long as it's '07-up, you should be good to go (swapping the externals over, obviously).

I'm assuming my 1-gallon hamster habitat will shit itself soon, and I've noticed the "minivan" V6 (same-same) doesn't carry the cost premium that the "Jeep" V6 does.

I'm not too proud to save a grand on semantics

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #6 of 7 Old 07-27-2019, 01:45 PM

well I guess I stuck my foot in my mouth, turns out the one guy had hydrolocked his and bent a rod. He just used all the internals in his original block and the other guy sent me this message on facebook "Hey man! No, it required some machining to make work. Some of the engine mounts are different. The rough bosses were there, but needed to be milled flat, drilled & tapped. The dipstick hole is also in a different spot. There was one other hole that needed to be tapped or something....can’t remember. I ultimately used another JK 3.8."

so Sorry to get your hopes up, I was under the impression that they both had made it work.

personally my 3.8 is tired and I'm gathering parts to do a L83/8L90 swap
post #7 of 7 Old 07-28-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks, you saved me some headache. I am going to give up on this option. I went and looked at it but could tell there were more differences than just swapping external parts so I did not buy it. I told them I would do more research first and might be back later. This helped my decision big time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode