LS Swap exhaust header/manifolds - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-17-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

LS Swap exhaust header/manifolds

Looking for input and opinions on exhaust headers.
My swap kit is an RPMExtreme kit and I used the factory 2013 Chevy 1500 manifolds. They point straight down from rear exhaust ports and were two bolt flanges. To put it bluntly they sucked. Two bolt flanges don't seal for shit. It also required a tight-ass 90* bend out of the manifold to clear the passenger upper control arm mount.

I opted for Motech engine mounts with my rebuild and it positions the engine slightly differently and those manifolds won't work anymore; zero clearance with the passenger control arm mount. Robbie said the 2008 Trailblazer (SS) manifolds are the best option and are pretty cheap. They point the exhaust outlet at a rearward angle that follows the firewall back. But, I'm looking for other options as well.

If not the trailblazer manifolds then I'm looking at some Summit headers. Basically look like a tubular trailblazer header. I'm just not sure if they locate the outlet in the same place. Price is barely more than stock manifolds and they come with collectors.
Summit Flowtech Header

I know RPM has some swap specific headers but they are $595

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-17-2019, 08:42 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

What does your 2-bolt flange look like? My Hemi SRT flanges (2-bolt) are designed to be used with a graphite ring gasket, but I had to cut a set of OEM downpipe side flanges and adapt them for my setup in order to be able to use the gaskets. I think any flange that doesn't have some sort of gasket will probably leak.

As far as the Summit headers - if they're made to fit OEM Trailblazer downpipes, I'd probably give them a try.

~$600 for headers made to fit JK-Chevy... Sounds pretty good to me. The Hemi swap headers are in that ballpark. I was imagining ~1200 for custom one-off headers.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

The Summits are not necessarily made to fit the Trailblazer. They are just one of many that kinda-sorta look like they exit at the same place, but are geared more towards LS swaps into (insert anything here).

My two bolt flange manifolds used a metal crush gasket, problem was just like the shit stock JK manifolds you ended up bending the exhaust-side flange cause you had to tighten them so much to seal... then when they'd leak again you tighten more; rinse, repeat.

Also, with "cheap" options out there, I'm not looking to spend $595 on headers. For swap specific stuff its not a bad price, I agree.

5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 01:47 PM
Rock God

I used the the SS Trailblazer manifolds on my 6.0 swap. They fit good and give good flow to the exhaust past the control mount and the motor on passenger side. Plus they have the 3 bolt collector flange on them, using a doughnut on the passenger side and metal crush o-ring on the drivers side.

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 325/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Eagle Offroad Alloys 18"x10"
post #5 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 04:07 PM
Rock God

Hey, @gt1guy has a set of the Sanderson ceramic coated headers that fit this swap nicely. He was willing to sell them to me a while back for a buddy who was doing the swap. Short story, my buddy stalled out and sold the whole thing off at a terrible loss and never bought them from him.

You might shoot him a PM and see if he wants to move them still. I dont remember what he was asking but it was less than new and they are brand new iirc.

For what its worth I'm running the exact ones on mine and besides trimming a little off the upper control arm mount on the passenger side there are zero issues. I probably didnt even have to trim it but I didn't want to chance it rattling against it and having to go back in after the fact and trim it. I'm running 3" pipe, if you gi smaller you probably wont even have to entertain trimming anything.

Last edited by Dkjeep; 07-18-2019 at 04:11 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 08:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

As a matter of fact I do have that set still. $400 and they're yours. I have a whole bunch of parts I'm going to need to unload when the Jeep gets finished, but I know for sure I can't use those headers.

Kevin
post #7 of 9 Old 07-19-2019, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Got pics of them?

Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #8 of 9 Old 07-19-2019, 12:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

These are the only pics I have of them on the engine and sitting in place. That's with the RPM engine mounts where they should be. When I moved the engine back 4", it was obvious they would no longer work and off they came.

Name:  DSC06530.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  815.6 KB

Name:  DSC06656.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  791.4 KB

Name:  DSC06658.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  814.9 KB

Add two years of dust and that's how they look now.

Kevin
post #9 of 9 Old 07-20-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I think based on some post wreck pics those summit headers would put the collector I to the firewall, so they are out.

Gt1, thanks for the pics but Im gonna go with some trailblazer manifolds for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode