Gen V swap questions.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 03-02-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Gen V swap questions....

Getting g ready to start this project and have a few questions. I have watched every available video from Motech and it seems like this is the swap to go with. I'll be putting in a Gen V 5.3 with either a 6L80 of 8L90 (depending on reviews of the 8L90, GM is currently in a class action lawsuit over it). Anyways, has anyone done a LT swap using the Motech swap kit and have no issues once you were finished? Seems like people have electrical problems such as back up lights not working, not wanting to start in park etc. Is it a reliable swap kit? How were the provided instructions? Any other info regarding the ease of the swap would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Rock God

Any particular reason you want a gen 5? the gen 4 stuff is plenty good and is about as proven and functional as it gets. The 6l80 is a great trans as well. Only thing I would change if I were you is looking for a 6.0 If youre going to spend the coin go ahead and get the extra displacement. You wont regret it.
post #3 of 35 Old 03-02-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
Any particular reason you want a gen 5? the gen 4 stuff is plenty good and is about as proven and functional as it gets. The 6l80 is a great trans as well. Only thing I would change if I were you is looking for a 6.0 If youre going to spend the coin go ahead and get the extra displacement. You wont regret it.
The reason for a Gen V is my brain tells me I want the latest and greatest LOL. All joking aside, I like what I'm hearing about the Gen V 5.3. Its small, has plenty of torque and hp for what I need and should return decent MPG. It's an all aluminum block and I'm interested in running the 8 speed as long as I can find one that doesn't "shudder" and shift hard. Sounds like GM got those problems taken care of though. The Gen V has everything I'm looking for in a swap. Just want to gather as much info before doing the swap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 03-02-2019, 02:53 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrofpuppets View Post
The reason for a Gen V is my brain tells me I want the latest and greatest LOL. All joking aside, I like what I'm hearing about the Gen V 5.3. Its small, has plenty of torque and hp for what I need and should return decent MPG. It's an all aluminum block and I'm interested in running the 8 speed as long as I can find one that doesn't "shudder" and shift hard. Sounds like GM got those problems taken care of though. The Gen V has everything I'm looking for in a swap. Just want to gather as much info before doing the swap.

I get caught up in wanting the latest and greatest myself, so I know how that is.

Physically 5.3 through 7+ liter 427ci LS engines are all the same size externally. If you want aluminum block you could always grab a 6.2 from a vette or crate engine.
mstrofpuppets likes this.
post #5 of 35 Old 03-02-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
I get caught up in wanting the latest and greatest myself, so I know how that is.

Physically 5.3 through 7+ liter 427ci LS engines are all the same size externally. If you want aluminum block you could always grab a 6.2 from a vette or crate engine.
As much as I would love to have a 6.2, it would add more to the swap than I am currently willing to spend. At that point pushing 400hp+ I personnally would have to upgrade axles among other things. And since I would convince myself I needed Prorocks, that would add a significant amount of money to the build LOL.

post #6 of 35 Old 03-02-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm looking at keeping this a simple and functional upgrade. Honestly the 3.8 that I have is sufficient for offroad driving, especially with 4.88s and the 4:1 transfer case. On road though it struggles up here in Wyoming and Colorado. Highway driving is starting to become an annoyance.

post #7 of 35 Old 03-03-2019, 08:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

A few people on here have done what they're calling "Beta" GenV Motech kits.

Not really sure exactly what that means. I guess you get to be the one who finds out the problems with them. Robbie doesn't come on here much anymore, so no telling where they are with the kits.

Any LS is probably going to give you better MPG, until you get over 500hp. They just don't need to work very hard to push the Jeep around.

Not sure what you're seeing price wise for the GenV's, you can get a brand new Gen IV crate engine for 4-6k.

Kevin
post #8 of 35 Old 03-03-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
A few people on here have done what they're calling "Beta" GenV Motech kits.

Not really sure exactly what that means. I guess you get to be the one who finds out the problems with them. Robbie doesn't come on here much anymore, so no telling where they are with the kits.

Any LS is probably going to give you better MPG, until you get over 500hp. They just don't need to work very hard to push the Jeep around.

Not sure what you're seeing price wise for the GenV's, you can get a brand new Gen IV crate engine for 4-6k.
Beta refers to the kit that is still in testing. I've talked to Robbie, the Gen V kits are out of beta testing and fully operational. There could still be updates for them though. I'm finding Gen Vs with the 6l80 for around $4,500 with less than 20k miles.

post #9 of 35 Old 03-03-2019, 10:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Beta refers to the kit that is still in testing. I've talked to Robbie, the Gen V kits are out of beta testing and fully operational. There could still be updates for them though. I'm finding Gen Vs with the 6l80 for around $4,500 with less than 20k miles.

I figured they would be more than that. Hell, I paid 2k for a 6l90 with 4 miles on it.

If you're going after max mpg, I'd say the genV is the way to go. It seems every change made to the genV was for mpg. There's also a lot more going on inside those engines to get that couple extra mpg.

Kevin
post #10 of 35 Old 03-03-2019, 03:10 PM
Wheeler

I completed a Motech Gen V kit last summer using a 2016 L83 and a 6L80 into my 2013 JKU. I initially wanted to use a 8L90,
but Mich at Motech said it would not play well with my 4.88 gearing, he recommended a 3.;70 or 4.11 for the 8L90. The included instructions are not stellar, but the project may be big, it is not complex. I called Motech several times with questions
and they were always helpful. If you are working under time constraints and need to minimize the down time, I recommend
picking up the pieces from your Jeep that you will need to have modified by Motech from a scrap yard (Jeep Engine harness and A/C Hoses). I picked up a engine harness off Ebay and later sold the one off my engine for the same price. I did not
do the A/c hoses and ended up regretting it as I ended up waiting for some time for modified hoses to be returned. I did have
an issue initially with the car not wanting to start in Park, but that was a matter of adjusting the shifter linkage. No problem
with the backup lites. You will have to block of the alarm lites on your dash for the traction control and the battery (battery
charging is now controlled by the GM ECU and not the TIPM). I now have over 10k miles on the swap and the only issue is
that recently the new radiator started to leak and I stuck the Jeep radiator back in.
post #11 of 35 Old 03-03-2019, 03:22 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post

If you're going after max mpg, I'd say the genV is the way to go. It seems every change made to the genV was for mpg. There's also a lot more going on inside those engines to get that couple extra mpg.
I've been driving more in my 09' with Gen V 5.3/8L90/3.73 gears. I get around 15mpg doing city/hwy when I keep my foot out of it. Not bad from what I hear from coworkers getting 10-12 mpg with oem engines. I'm working on adapting cruise control through the 2015 steering wheel controls but I will probably just install 09' cruise stalk till then.
post #12 of 35 Old 03-03-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_fender View Post
I completed a Motech Gen V kit last summer using a 2016 L83 and a 6L80 into my 2013 JKU. I initially wanted to use a 8L90,

but Mich at Motech said it would not play well with my 4.88 gearing, he recommended a 3.;70 or 4.11 for the 8L90. The included instructions are not stellar, but the project may be big, it is not complex. I called Motech several times with questions

and they were always helpful. If you are working under time constraints and need to minimize the down time, I recommend

picking up the pieces from your Jeep that you will need to have modified by Motech from a scrap yard (Jeep Engine harness and A/C Hoses). I picked up a engine harness off Ebay and later sold the one off my engine for the same price. I did not

do the A/c hoses and ended up regretting it as I ended up waiting for some time for modified hoses to be returned. I did have

an issue initially with the car not wanting to start in Park, but that was a matter of adjusting the shifter linkage. No problem

with the backup lites. You will have to block of the alarm lites on your dash for the traction control and the battery (battery

charging is now controlled by the GM ECU and not the TIPM). I now have over 10k miles on the swap and the only issue is

that recently the new radiator started to leak and I stuck the Jeep radiator back in.
If I remember correctly, Robbie mentioned in one of his videos that they solved the traction control and battery light issue. I'll have to go back through them and confirm. I'm also running 4.88 gears but I want to regear down to 4.10 to not only run the 8L90 but because I'm not happy with my 4.88s making a whining noise (long story)

Thanks for the info, what was the issue with the instructions? Just not as complete as they should have been? I'll be taking a few weeks off work to complete the build but won't start until I have everything nailed down.

Last edited by mstrofpuppets; 03-04-2019 at 04:54 AM.
post #13 of 35 Old 03-04-2019, 12:11 PM
Wheeler

There were no instructions included with the kit, just what was posted on the website. I think I used the Gen 4 instructions for
the wiring and there were several wires that did not match up and required a call to Motech for clarification. Also the motor mount pieces were not all marked resulting in my having to take it apart and reassemble. The You tube video on the evap
system was very helpful.
post #14 of 35 Old 03-05-2019, 06:58 PM
V8 dreams

Curious if youíve talked to Robbie? I too wanted the gen V 5.3 and he literally talked me out of it, seemed to think a 6.0 gen IV was the way to go(for me), now this was close to a year ago so things may have changed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #15 of 35 Old 03-06-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Curious if youíve talked to Robbie? I too wanted the gen V 5.3 and he literally talked me out of it, seemed to think a 6.0 gen IV was the way to go(for me), now this was close to a year ago so things may have changed.
Yeah, I have talked to both Robbie and Mitch. Both have been very helpful in answering my questions. With that said, since this is such an involved upgrade I wanted to talk to people who have actually installed this kit, who are not associated with Motech, RPMExtreme etc and get their opinions.

The 6.0 is a great engine but with all the new tech that's coming out and the new 8 speed transmission, I personally have decided that a Gen V is the right swap for me. I want the biggest bang for my buck and don't want to regret doing this install with an engine I'm not 100% sold on.

Last edited by mstrofpuppets; 03-06-2019 at 03:49 AM.
post #16 of 35 Old 03-06-2019, 05:05 AM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Yeah, I have talked to both Robbie and Mitch. Both have been very helpful in answering my questions. With that said, since this is such an involved upgrade I wanted to talk to people who have actually installed this kit, who are not associated with Motech, RPMExtreme etc and get their opinions.

The 6.0 is a great engine but with all the new tech that's coming out and the new 8 speed transmission, I personally have decided that a Gen V is the right swap for me. I want the biggest bang for my buck and don't want to regret doing this install with an engine I'm not 100% sold on.

Understand, and it sounds like they have become more comfortable recommending the gen V stuff. When i had talked to them, it was a clear sign to me to keep it simple and do the gen IV. Good luck in your swap and Iíll be interested in how it goes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #17 of 35 Old 03-06-2019, 07:05 AM
JKowners Vendor

You really need to talk to John, IMO only person to get your kit from for a Gen4.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/engin...nversions.html

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #18 of 35 Old 03-06-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
You really need to talk to John, IMO only person to get your kit from for a Gen4.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/engin...nversions.html
I'll give him a call. Thanks!

post #19 of 35 Old 03-08-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Gen V stuff is pricey lol. Right now just pricing out parts I'm at a bit over $12k. Keep in mind, I have to swap from my current manual to the auto, new transfer case and possibly a gear ratio swap. Buy once, cry once....

post #20 of 35 Old 03-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Gen V stuff is pricey lol. Right now just pricing out parts I'm at a bit over $12k. Keep in mind, I have to swap from my current manual to the auto, new transfer case and possibly a gear ratio swap. Buy once, cry once....

Had you seen this?

post #21 of 35 Old 03-08-2019, 07:36 PM
V8 dreams

12k Not counting the motor/tranny?

2010 Silver JKU

Last edited by jvandy50; 03-08-2019 at 07:48 PM.
post #22 of 35 Old 03-08-2019, 07:47 PM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
Iíve had the tr3160 in a gt350 and it was pretty nice, but that tr6060(zl1) is my favorite manual tranny of all time. I still think i want an auto in my JK, but that tranny is very smooth

2010 Silver JKU
post #23 of 35 Old 03-08-2019, 08:02 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Iíve had the tr3160 in a gt350 and it was pretty nice, but that tr6060(zl1) is my favorite manual tranny of all time. I still think i want an auto in my JK, but that tranny is very smooth
I'll bet. I think Robbie said in his video (or maybe the last one he did) that they're fitting a modified version of the T56 with a custom shift tower for the JK. Rockland Standard Gear offers a T56 modified for lower 1st gear and beefed up for 4wd; they call it the Tranzilla lol. Sounds superb but $$$$.
post #24 of 35 Old 03-08-2019, 08:44 PM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
I'll bet. I think Robbie said in his video (or maybe the last one he did) that they're fitting a modified version of the T56 with a custom shift tower for the JK. Rockland Standard Gear offers a T56 modified for lower 1st gear and beefed up for 4wd; they call it the Tranzilla lol. Sounds superb but $$$$.
Oh wow, gonna go out on a limb and guess that could get close to, if not more, than some of the engines weíre talking about!
rockystock likes this.

2010 Silver JKU
post #25 of 35 Old 03-09-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
12k Not counting the motor/tranny?
That's with motor and transmission. I figure I can recoup some of it from selling my 3.8/trans as well as my Rubicon transfer case.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode